Speed Wobble!!!!!

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
astrazen

Re: Speed Wobble!!!!!

Postby astrazen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:20 am

Very interesting topic guys.
As a beginner it's great to read up on stuff like this.

Drumlin

Postby Drumlin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 15:58 pm

I've been riding for over 30 years and it's only happened to me once. I was only doing about 20 mph, and the bike was fine before and fine after. I've concluded its just a random thing, when a whole load of parameters happen to coincide at that particular moment.
Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.

HasselHough

Postby HasselHough » Sun Sep 30, 2012 19:23 pm

This has happened to me 4 times out of 5 on the very same descent, http://app.strava.com/segments/1559561 and its getting to me a bit, I've checked the bike, all is well, although I'm pretty light weight 65kg and the section of descent always has a cross wind. My mates just breeze past me and I'm riding a bucking bronco! My mate actually thought I was coming off today, not sure how I held on but thank god I did.
Think my heart rate is higher on the down than the cat 3 climb to get to the top!!! Not sure what to do other than go easy.
Cube Acid 2011 MTB
Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)

Wobblehead

Postby Wobblehead » Fri Oct 05, 2012 21:37 pm

Happened to me once, knocking on 50 down Fleet Moss towards Hawes. Managed to stay on somehow, never been the same since going downhill, can't let go for fear of the wobbles coming back.

Absolutely terrifying.....

oldwelshman

Postby oldwelshman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 22:12 pm

I have had it a few times on different bikes at different speeds, sometimes caused by road conditions to start it, resurfaced, also wind, worst case was when my pedal came off pedal its axle thrwoing me forward when I was at 49mph according to garmin, here was the result, I did survive somehow though :D ;

The Little Onion

Postby The Little Onion » Sun Oct 07, 2012 08:59 am

I suffer from this from time to time, particularly in cross winds. I live in the peak district so there are a lot of steep exposed roads - the problem is much greater at the top of a descent, where there is more wind, than towards the bottom, even if I am going faster. I found that standing up and gripping the top tube with my inner thighs helps (said the actress to the bishop!). Oddly, the biggest change has been to swap my crappy rear tyre (Ultremo R1) with my favourite tyre (Vrederstein Tricomp) - since then I have had no trouble.

Peat

Postby Peat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 15:01 pm

Think i may have just had one of these.

It started about 40mph and i did the worst possible thing by tensing up and grabbing the brakes. Managed to get it stopped, i was convinced i'd lost a spoke or the skewer had come loose.

I tentativley made it the rest of the way home. Checked everything was tight and there were no signs of cracks in the forks/headtube.

Reckon it was just a wobble. Brown lycra.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 15:03 pm

Peat wrote:Reckon it was just a wobble. Brown lycra.

You'll be wanting some of these then...

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 15:16 pm

Wobblehead wrote:Happened to me once, knocking on 50 down Fleet Moss towards Hawes. Managed to stay on somehow, never been the same since going downhill, can't let go for fear of the wobbles coming back.

Absolutely terrifying.....

Ive seen Strava there are people hitting over 60 mph. You have to have a screw loose to be hitting that kind of speed.

Its a nice decent though.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Sat Jan 26, 2013 20:29 pm

I had this about a month ago doing around 40mph on a down hill stretch. I thought it was maybe the magnet for the speedo was making the wheel unbalanced but it never happened again. Does make your ar@e twitch a little though.

dmclite-3.0

Postby dmclite-3.0 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 21:00 pm

Ive had this a few times and come to similar conclusions as other posters. mine I think is also to do with a very short headtube on my Litespeed siena. I also tended to get a front end shimmy when cold and descending, so now I damp the top tube with my knee, raise off the saddle a fraction, relax my grip and also put my tongue between my teeth ! sounds stupid but I know a coach who after giving me descending and cornering tips, he said if you get tense you will bite down on your tongue instinctively and is a good indicator of tension, so relaxing and anticipating on descending is the key.

Sounds stupid, but I have been doing this for 4 years now and it works as I am still a bit of a wuss descending.
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...

AK_jnr

Postby AK_jnr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 am

I had one coming around the back of an airport. I forgot about the open stretch behind the run way and the crosswind caught me at about 30 which was enough to send me into the middle of the road! Luckily its a quiet road there!

Wacky Racer

Postby Wacky Racer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 17:56 pm

sungod wrote:pressing one or both legs against the top tube is good, i tend to do this whenever not pedaling on a fast descent, it helps damp the system and lower the chance of wobble in the first place

This is good advice, works for me on fast descents. I pin my right leg to the top tube.
Ridley Orion

kev77

Postby kev77 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 18:21 pm

I used to suffer a lot with this a few years back, however changing the stem length and having one knee against the top tube cured it for me.

As mentioned all ready do not stiffen up and stay relaxed on the descent.

Return to “Road General”