Are clipless pedals faster?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Trev The Rev

Re: Are clipless pedals faster?

Postby Trev The Rev » Wed Nov 21, 2012 15:04 pm

I slipped that line in to make people laugh but you seem to have taken it seriously.

NewTTer

Postby NewTTer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 15:13 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:I slipped that line in to make people laugh but you seem to have taken it seriously.

You and humour are light years apart, you seriously need to seek some help, and soon.

sub55

Postby sub55 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 18:14 pm

racingcondor wrote:I think this thread has brilliantly proven that selective reading can rob a potentially reasonable question of anything useful. Sub55 and ddraver, congratulations on your patience, you have more than me.

Whether clipless pedals are more efficient or not is largely irrelevant to a competative cyclist (until you're a pro and can actually access technology to measure efficiency and interpret the results correctly). The reasons I use them -
- I've done 54mph and needed the security of being attached,
- I race crits and need the security of being attached,
- Occasionally I hit potholes and need the security of being attached,
- Occasionally I bunnyhop potholes (and once someones arm) and need the security of being attached,
- I ride track and if you hold too high a cadence for too long you need the security of being attached (even if they still rode flats this wouldn't be true of the BMX example as freewheeling is an option).

Earlier in the year while I was racing I made a mistake and had pedal strike badly enough that although I kept the bike upright I skipped the back wheel a foot sideways and buckled the rim. Being attached made not crashing possible.

:shock: what did i do
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly

sub55

Postby sub55 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 18:18 pm

hay trev,
have you been banned from the CTC forum as well? If not they are missing you like crazy and i'm sure your presence over there for a few weeks would be appriciated.
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:11 am

Herbsman wrote:What we need is a study that tests energy in vs energy out on flats and clipless

Do you know of any?

roger merriman

Postby roger merriman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 13:03 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:
Herbsman wrote:What we need is a study that tests energy in vs energy out on flats and clipless

Do you know of any?

I think it would be difficult to have a fair test to be honest.

if the rider favours one type they are likely to be better using that system.

Realistically as long as its a secure platform it will work well, the cheap flats and tradional road flats are not great.

But MTB ones are remarkably grippy, which I use on my MTB and roadie SS. this said on a normal road bike they would look a tad daft plus you'd risk pedal strike, hence I used SPD's on the roadie.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Fri Nov 23, 2012 13:51 pm

This thread is the best.

Trev needs to go to uni and learn how to read, interpret, analyse, and critique academic journals.

Maybe he can do a degree in sports science, and do a study and dissertation on drive-train efficiency with clipless and with flats.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Nov 23, 2012 14:07 pm

roger merriman wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

Do you know of any?

I think it would be difficult to have a fair test to be honest.

if the rider favours one type they are likely to be better using that system.

Realistically as long as its a secure platform it will work well, the cheap flats and tradional road flats are not great.

But MTB ones are remarkably grippy, which I use on my MTB and roadie SS. this said on a normal road bike they would look a tad daft plus you'd risk pedal strike, hence I used SPD's on the roadie.

The only way to measure that would be to have a power meter between youre feet and the sole of the shoe and then again between the pedal axle and the crank.

Don't think that's a goer really...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 23, 2012 14:21 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:This thread is the best.

Trev needs to go to uni and learn how to read, interpret, analyse, and critique academic journals.

Maybe he can do a degree in sports science, and do a study and dissertation on drive-train efficiency with clipless and with flats.

A degree in sports science isn't worth the paper it's written on.

NewTTer

Postby NewTTer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 14:29 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:

That will be the same for anything and everything you spout, on whatever media you are using at the time of said spouting. Which unfortunaltey for us seems to be the BR forums at present.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 23, 2012 14:31 pm

NewTTer wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

That will be the same for anything and everything you spout, on whatever media you are using at the time of said spouting. Which unfortunaltey for us seems to be the BR forums at present.

Don't they usually find jobs in the end showing fat women how to use the equipment in the gym. Or do cleaning jobs?

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Fri Nov 23, 2012 14:35 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:Don't they usually find jobs in the end showing fat women how to use the equipment in the gym. Or do cleaning jobs?

Troll
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Fri Nov 23, 2012 14:37 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:

still evidently better than whatever you've got. (or not got)

Return to “Road General”