Wiggo - Man in Black

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
schleckster

Re: Wiggo - Man in Black

Postby schleckster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:46 pm

JSCL wrote:Ditch the lights and whack a speaker on your handlebars, booming out a siren. What could possibly go wrong!?

Sometimes I see this rasta guy riding along in the city centre with a trailer holding a boombox and amp blasting out reggae. Could be something to consider!

As cyclists we obviously have a responsibility to make ourselves clearly visible at night, something a good set of LED lights can sort out, but motorists driving at night also have a responsibility to remember that there could be cyclists around and so they should drive sensibly, unfortunately as we all know that's not always the case. It's just a case of being diligent, respecting yourself and others.

If someone is going to drive irresponsibly (just as if someone is going to cycle irresponsibly with no precautions taken for the dark, for instance) there's not much you can do to change that.

I have worn both an all black jacket and black bib knickers, and a white rain jacket with reflective strips all over it, at night and haven't really noticed cars behaving any differently. Most pass reasonably safely, then there are always the couple that are too close or try to be clever and take a junction/turn early. However, I don't think you can argue that hi-vis is somehow ineffective, it's just one good option to improve your visibility. That said, I think modern bike lights alone are more than enough to do the job.

ben@31

Postby ben@31 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:16 pm

Wiggo should have worn a TDF yellow jersey. Much more eye catching. I wonder how many whingers would spot his maillot Jaune from a mile away and moan "that bloke over there shouldn't be wearing it. It's an award don't you know...."

schleckster

Postby schleckster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 15:26 pm

ben@31 wrote:Wiggo should have worn a TDF yellow jersey. Much more eye catching. I wonder how many whingers would spot his maillot Jaune from a mile away and moan "that bloke over there shouldn't be wearing it. It's an award don't you know...."

Too true, but does that also apply to team kit? I see quite a few Sky and Team GB jerseys around as a result of this summer. The worst was one guy I saw in full Team Saxo Bank colours a few weeks ago, all white of course on a road that was wet and mucky, and doing no more than 10mph, to be fair maybe he was resting but still, I found it a curious choice of attire. I have a Radioshack Nissan Trek jersey I sometimes wear so I guess I'm part of it all and also a hypocrite.

cougie

Postby cougie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 16:38 pm

I think Ben was joking about the people that post on here whingeing about someone wearing team kit or race winners jerseys when they aren't paid to do so.....

They should SO sell TdF yellow Jersey Thermal jackets...

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 19:30 pm

Hey you lot give the guy a break will you, don't you know black is slimming :?

Wear something black. Black clothing, especially pants, makes almost everyone look thin and hides big bellies, rolls and other unsightly areas. Add colour to black outfits with colorful accessories, such as yellow cycle helmets, bikes, writing on gilets and shoes.

Read more: How to Make Fat People Look Thin | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8317226_make-fa ... z2CnD2ZO00 :oops:

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:03 pm

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:Do black cars have more crashes than coloured ones? His bright yellow builders helmet was very visible though!!

Yes they do. There are several studies, at least one of which covered 20 years, that have shown this to be the case.

Here is one article on the subject http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... ashes.html.

Where I live, wearing black could easily be fatal. I almost ran over a man on foot dressed head to toe in black on a dark evening and he was almost totally invisible until I was very close to him. I swerved at the last minute and missed him by about 50cm. It scared the crap out of me. If it didn't scare the crap out of him, he must have been completely drunk.

TakeTurns

Postby TakeTurns » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:18 pm

Agree, pedestrians dressed poorly or assuming that you've seen them when it's so dark is ludicrous. Surely they should be wearing reflective gear too :?:

Not to mention squirrels, they're always leaping on the road.

Joeblack

Postby Joeblack » Tue Nov 20, 2012 21:41 pm

TakeTurns wrote:Agree, pedestrians dressed poorly or assuming that you've seen them when it's so dark is ludicrous. Surely they should be wearing reflective gear too :?:

Not to mention squirrels, they're always leaping on the road.

Not a problem round my way

http://www.myspace.com/hotrodharris/pho ... 1874627%7D
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Return to “Road General”