TdF comes to God's Own County

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
neeb

Re: TdF comes to God's Own County

Postby neeb » Sat Dec 15, 2012 20:58 pm

lotus49 wrote:I am a big fan of churches and I know Wells, Canterbury and Lincoln Cathedrals well having visited all three of them several times. They are all very fine buildings but I much prefer York Minster. The BBC ran a survey a few months ago to establish England's favourite building. Sadly Durham Cathedral beat York Minster into second place but none of your cathedrals made the short list (beautiful as they all are).

Lincoln is perhaps my favourite in England. York is amazing but the lack of a proper stone vault in the nave has always slightly spoiled it for me (it has a wooden ceiling, decorated to make it look like a stone vault) . The whole point of gothic is the problem of how to support a heavy stone vault while also allowing the window spaces to be as large as possible (while at the same time being completely insane and believing that sacred geometric ratios will keep the roof up).

DevonClimber

Postby DevonClimber » Sun Dec 16, 2012 08:46 am

Gods Country, Meh.

Just another County in our Country with pretty parts and not so pretty parts, and with what seems to be a disproportionate amount of natives who go on about it all the time, ad nauseum and usually follow each statement with something about southerners and shandy or something, again ad nauseum.
On a personal note, my Brother lives just under Sutton Bank, so hopefully a free spot to watch if it follows that route.
Enjoyed my time living up there in 'Gods' Country, but the Yorkshire clone types do tend to bore you a bit.
I might start calling Devon Jesus land or something, or being an Atheist maybe Maybe Darwinsville....No wait a minute, I will just call it Devon as I really don't care that much.
“If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”

neeb

Postby neeb » Sun Dec 16, 2012 09:16 am

I lived in Hull for a year once. If that's god's own country it explains quite a lot about his general incompetence as a supposed omnipotent deity, or else his taste in décor leaves a lot to be desired.

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 am

DevonClimber wrote:Gods Country, Meh.

Just another County in our Country with pretty parts and not so pretty parts, and with what seems to be a disproportionate amount of natives who go on about it all the time, ad nauseum and usually follow each statement with something about southerners and shandy or something, again ad nauseum.
On a personal note, my Brother lives just under Sutton Bank, so hopefully a free spot to watch if it follows that route.
Enjoyed my time living up there in 'Gods' Country, but the Yorkshire clone types do tend to bore you a bit.
I might start calling Devon Jesus land or something, or being an Atheist maybe Maybe Darwinsville....No wait a minute, I will just call it Devon as I really don't care that much.

Well said. There's nowt worse than a professional Yorkshireman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4tD2Hbg_A

Return to “Road General”