listenning to music

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Simon Masterson

Re: listenning to music

Postby Simon Masterson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:27 pm

I think of this as being somewhat akin to riding everywhere no-handed. You may never fail to reach your brakes and you may never have any trouble, but it's still less effective.

For me personally, I don't have 'background' music. I listen to (or play) music or I do not. Having it on when cycling would be a distraction, and it also alters the environment I am in, which I find disconcerting anyway. When I was a teenager delivering papers I used to have earphones in sometimes, but that's it...

As for everyone else, I think the same basic reasons apply; to varying degrees determined by common sense. If you are riding along on cycle paths (exclusively) on your Brompton at 9MPH, and you are listening to music at low volume, I can't see a problem. Busy main roads in traffic on the other hand...

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:39 pm

Saying that deaf people can ride safely is no sort of argument.

What we are talking about here is whether it is less safe to listen to music. There is no absolute standard for "unsafe" so it's nonsensical to talk about it.

It cannot possibly be safer to listen to music so I don't. The difference may be (and probably is) small but I'm not taking any chances. It's not something I could get excited about though. It's a decision everyone must make for themselves.

Mettan

Postby Mettan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 08:13 am

I'd never use earplugs on the bike - but... something like an X-Mini in your jersey pocket might be ok - still hear the traffic easily (and the music). There's a time and place for it though.

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 08:46 am

I use the sound of engines so much to gather information on the approaching car you can tell when someone's not going to slow down for a traffic island for example and slow down before they smash into you. You can tell when someone is going to close pass you so just before they pass you move a bit closer to the kerb to give yourself more room.

The ears are a fantastic tool and completely blocking out that additional sense so you can crank out an extra .25MPH listening to Justin Beiber is a bit mental.

iPete

Postby iPete » Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:16 am

lotus49 wrote:Saying that deaf people can ride safely is no sort of argument.

What we are talking about here is whether it is less safe to listen to music. There is no absolute standard for "unsafe" so it's nonsensical to talk about it.

It cannot possibly be safer to listen to music so I don't. The difference may be (and probably is) small but I'm not taking any chances. It's not something I could get excited about though. It's a decision everyone must make for themselves.

Without a chune humming quietly into my left ear, whilst not scientific, I notice that I do less life saver checks and tend to zone out more. In keeping me more alert, it could be said that it is safer. In 25,000 miles of suburban & city cycling, it hasn't once put me at risk. Although some people here seem to think listening to music means both ears pumping @ volume 11 so you couldn't a nuclear bomb detonating.

Plus earworms on a long ride could drive any sane man to cycle off a cliff. :lol:
Last edited by iPete on Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

snoopsmydogg

Postby snoopsmydogg » Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:17 am

DavidJB wrote:I use the sound of engines so much to gather information on the approaching car you can tell when someone's not going to slow down for a traffic island for example and slow down before they smash into you. You can tell when someone is going to close pass you so just before they pass you move a bit closer to the kerb to give yourself more room.

The ears are a fantastic tool and completely blocking out that additional sense so you can crank out an extra .25MPH listening to Justin Beiber is a bit mental.

so you cant tell if a car is slowing down just by taking into account your speed and the cars movements? :? when your in your car do you have to open the window and turn the radio off at every junction/roundabout?

no one has said anything about blocking out the surrounding noises more having a background to pedal too. I'm not saying there is a right and wrong but i don't understand why folk feel the need to preach.

basically looks to me like those who don't preach. those who do won't give a f**k what is posted up on an internet forum :wink:

freddiegrubb

Postby freddiegrubb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 am

believe it or not I've cycled with somebody who was deaf, they had no choice in their condition I-pod wearers do.

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:44 pm

snoopsmydogg wrote:
Tom Dean wrote:If music doesn't distract you, why listen to it?

Why does music have to be a distraction? Music helps while away the hours but can be kept low enough to be able to hear whats around you.

Do you drive? If so do you do it with all windows down and no radio just in case? My guess is no.
'helps while away the hours' is the same as 'distracts you from what you are doing' isn't it?

I don't drive but I wouldn't be sitting in a car for 4 hours for fun. What does having the window down have to do with distractions?

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Tom Dean wrote:
snoopsmydogg wrote:
Tom Dean wrote:If music doesn't distract you, why listen to it?

Why does music have to be a distraction? Music helps while away the hours but can be kept low enough to be able to hear whats around you.

Do you drive? If so do you do it with all windows down and no radio just in case? My guess is no.
'helps while away the hours' is the same as 'distracts you from what you are doing' isn't it?

I don't drive but I wouldn't be sitting in a car for 4 hours for fun. What does having the window down have to do with distractions?

He doesn't mean having the window down and radio off about distractions, it's about "not being aware" as everyone keeps spouting off about.

A distraction is a distraction if you let it become one. I, for one, happen to love having my favourite tunes to enhance an already great experience. In no way am I distracted, the beats keep me motivated, and I am still fully aware of my surroundings.

MrSweary

Postby MrSweary » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:10 pm

From a commuter point of view I won't listen to music - put simply I feel it reduces my situational awareness - the key thing that keeps me safe in heavy traffic. That said I don't have any problem with other people doing it.

In the main the problem cyclists I see with headphones on weaving around etc would be riding like tw*ts anyway.
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

d10brp

Postby d10brp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:20 pm

dodgy wrote:
d10brp wrote:I use aftershokz. When there is traffic around it drowns out the music completely.

I'm using them, too. Not 100% impressed with sound quality, but they are very comfortable.

Depends what you are after. I think the sound quality is as good as budget earphones (like the ones you used to get with iPods/iPhones until this year) and I don't mind sacrificing that bit of sound quality for my ears being completely open.
Scott CR1 Pro
Specialized Secteur Elite

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:26 pm

MountainMonster wrote:I, for one, happen to love having my favourite tunes to enhance an already great experience. In no way am I distracted, the beats keep me motivated, and I am still fully aware of my surroundings.
I just don't understand this I guess. Do put music on when you're watching tv?

d10brp

Postby d10brp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:32 pm

Tom Dean wrote:
MountainMonster wrote:I, for one, happen to love having my favourite tunes to enhance an already great experience. In no way am I distracted, the beats keep me motivated, and I am still fully aware of my surroundings.

I think you should probably take that comment back. Up to this post it has been reasoned argument based on your opinion (which you are entitled to). Now its trolling.
Scott CR1 Pro
Specialized Secteur Elite

diy

Postby diy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 18:48 pm

Just wondering if those who say "definitely not" on safety grounds, do you also run with a daylight flashy tail light? Now that is something I will very rarely go out without. I don't run them in the summer months when the sun is high but will normally run at least one blinky during daylight

richsieb

Postby richsieb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 18:55 pm

There is always these? http://www.aftershokz.co.uk/ProductDeta ... Code=AS320

Would be interested to see how well they work before I fork out £50 though :D

verylonglegs

Postby verylonglegs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:09 pm

It's not for me when out on the bike, I just prefer the entire sensory experience. I did however have one occasion when I wished I had music...the sound of an articulated lorry braking for dear life (my life in fact!) because he's mis-judged my presence entirely is not something I want to hear again, ignorance would have been bliss on that one!

Jez mon

Postby Jez mon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:37 pm

Personally, I find cycling with just one earphone in has very little effect on my ability to hear traffic plus I mainly cycle in the countryside on routes with very few junctions. I'd say wind noise has a far greater effect on my ability to hear traffic noise anyway.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 22:50 pm

Tom Dean wrote:

You consider watching tv a great experience? That's pretty depressing, I suggest go riding your bike instead.

Moominman2

Postby Moominman2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 23:40 pm

I used to listen to music every time I would ride.

Now I don't, thinking it was unsafe. For me, I was as aware of traffic and potential hazards then as I am now not listening g to music. I found that music motivated me when riding on my own but I don't really have room to use my iPod, so don't use it.

I reckon if you're riding on quiet roads then fine, but busy roads is a bit of a gamble.

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:34 am

MountainMonster wrote:
Tom Dean wrote:

You consider watching tv a great experience? That's pretty depressing, I suggest go riding your bike instead.
Sometimes, yes. I'm sure your 'favourite tunes' are the height of cultural sophistication :roll:

Return to “Road General”