I saw the most epic bike today

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
mallorcajeff

Re: I saw the most epic bike today

Postby mallorcajeff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 00:24 am

thats is a pretty alfa granted. For me the f430 wingmirrors are a work of art, driving it is amazing, having said that though I still prefer riding my bike to driving supercars. Well its 2013 now time for bike shopping i think.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Tue Jan 01, 2013 01:07 am

I could be tempted to Spesh with a Venge...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

verylonglegs

Postby verylonglegs » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:09 am

This is one of those discussions that could run forever. I personally find the curved top tubes of all the Specialized models awful, I couldn't own one for as long as alternatives are available.

poppit

Postby poppit » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:31 pm

mallorcajeff wrote:Went for a ride today and there is a shop in palma always stacked with top level kit and saw a bike that was so nice its got me thinking of changing. Looked on the web to see what model it was but cant find it.
It was a Spech Venge but was built up with Lightweight weels 80mm and Campag EPS and every other top bit of kit you can find. The bit i dont get was it looked like a ltd model the frame was all black except a few bars of colour red a yellow and somethign else and had matchign saddle, both with a signature on it but couldnt work out what it said? Any ideas? Stunning machine. They had a shiv with lightweight disc wheel, supersix evo and C59 with Eps all in one little bit of the window! seems no crisis in spain where this shop is bloody hell.

Tried to take a picture but only had iphone with me and the reflection made a black bike impossible to see.

Which shop was it and where, never seem to be able to find a good one in Palma, we're there in May so wouldn't mind a look.
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Cougar Zero Uno
Canyon Nerve AM 8.0
Genesis Core 50
Mekk Pista T1

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Jan 01, 2013 13:44 pm

Lycra-Byka wrote:Ok maybe not innovation- progression yes.

I know that when going up that horrid/beautiful hill Im not thinking about soul, I'm thinking I wish someone with a computer could design a bike to make this a bit easier. Although saying all this if you don't like the look of the bike you won't enjoy it as much.

Rose tinted spectacles in some cases

Oh I know where you are coming from there - my Raleigh is not dissimilar to that Holdsworth and every climb I make on it I feel sure would be easier on my Carbon bikes. But then I am never sure if that is simply down to the big hard gears on the Raliegh or that maybe I always understimate the terrain I ride the Raleigh on (that bike lives in West Sussex rather than West Yorkshire and the two aren't as widely split in terms of difficult as I sometimes think). My (much heavier) Dawes Horizon seems easier on the hills and that does have the gears for it. Gears counts for more than weight - even on climbs.

But there we are talking over 30 years of development. That Venge would make no difference at all to how easier you found the hill to climb than any other +£1k carbon road bike available today.
Faster than a tent.......

mk1markfalkirk

Postby mk1markfalkirk » Tue Jan 01, 2013 15:01 pm

I don't think even if I were a lottery winner I could ride a 10k+ bike. I'm sure they are awesome but its just not right.

It'd be like driving a matt black Lamborghini Murcielago, You'd look like a fool!

8k maybe though

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 15:21 pm

A matt black Lamborghini is amazing, how do you look like a fool?

Strith

Postby Strith » Tue Jan 01, 2013 15:58 pm

MountainMonster wrote:A matt black Lamborghini is amazing, how do you look like a fool?

Just by being in a lamborghini.

Like the venge tho. Holdsworth just looks dull, like most steel bikes imo

fast as fupp

Postby fast as fupp » Tue Jan 01, 2013 16:08 pm

MountainMonster wrote:A matt black Lamborghini is amazing, how do you look like a fool?

er.....like.... BIG CAR....small c0ck :D
'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 16:31 pm

Hmmmm, I hear jealousy speaking.

mk1markfalkirk

Postby mk1markfalkirk » Tue Jan 01, 2013 16:36 pm

No, not at all, I just think its excessive.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Jan 01, 2013 17:30 pm

MountainMonster wrote:Hmmmm, I hear jealousy speaking.

Once you get to a certain age (probably about 30 - I guess you are rather younger than that) most people have grown out of wanting cars like Lamborghinis (particularly in matt black - you realise that 95% of people are looking at you and thinking 'tool'. Anyone trying that hard to flash their cash can't be taken too seriously. It isn't jealousy - trust me! :lol:

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 18:17 pm

Rolf F wrote:

Once you get to a certain age (probably about 30 - I guess you are rather younger than that) most people have grown out of wanting cars like Lamborghinis (particularly in matt black - you realise that 95% of people are looking at you and thinking 'tool'. Anyone trying that hard to flash their cash can't be taken too seriously. It isn't jealousy - trust me! :lol:

Eh,everyone who thinks the same as you. Some people like it, some don't. I personally think flash cars are great, and know plenty of older gentleman who think the same.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Jan 01, 2013 19:50 pm

MountainMonster wrote:
Rolf F wrote:

Eh,everyone who thinks the same as you. Some people like it, some don't. I personally think flash cars are great, and know plenty of older gentleman who think the same.

There is a big difference between liking them and actually going out and buying one. Still, if you must, stick to gloss paintwork, standard wheels and whatever you do, don't get an open top one. Those truly are tragic :lol:

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 20:43 pm

A big part of my job is driving a collection of super cars around mallorca (I am lucky I know) But I must admit I was a fair petrol head before I got this job. I have driven just about every supercar made over the last 7 years and have to say I now dont hate cars but I certainly dont like them like I used to. I think its a case of dont meet your heros.

I understand the element of people thinking big car small c0ck and there are plenty here in mallorca of those for sure. I do not own the cars I drive, and do not have a massive c0ck :roll:

Out of all the cars my favourite to drive was the Ferrari 599 or S65 AMG Limo. Worst Ferrari 458 and Mini Cooper S "auto" terrible gearbox.

Back on topic though That venge frame really was something.
The shop is caldenty just past the aquerium in palma.

giant man

Postby giant man » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 am

I don't think it's excessive at all, depends on what it feels like imo, no good if's a bad ride. If it feels dead and gives you an unexciting ride, doesn't matter what name is on the downtube or how much it costs, I wouldn't buy it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 am

giant man wrote:I don't think it's excessive at all, depends on what it feels like imo, no good if's a bad ride. If it feels dead and gives you an unexciting ride, doesn't matter what name is on the downtube or how much it costs, I wouldn't buy it.

Exactly this, people seem to forget that excessive is all relative, if someone earns 10,000 a month then why not spend more getting a bike when they can afford it. For them it is not excessive, it's like us buying a 2k bike.

I think people just need to stop worrying so much about how much other people spend.

Grill

Postby Grill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Rolf F wrote:Venges are a bit like Honda NSXs - you can't help but admire them but there's really no soul to them. It's not a bike I'd give a second glance to (infact, I'd quite possibly not notice it in the first place!).

Someone has never driven an NSX...
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Grill wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Venges are a bit like Honda NSXs - you can't help but admire them but there's really no soul to them. It's not a bike I'd give a second glance to (infact, I'd quite possibly not notice it in the first place!).

Someone has never driven an NSX...

Very true - and if I did I suspect I'd find it rather better than the Italian stuff. But even if it has mobile soul, parked it has none! A supercar really does need to have something about it when it isn't moving and the NSX does little more for me than an Accord in that respect. Mind you, I think they have aged fairly well.

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Agreed some cars have a way about how they look and Ferrari get it right the 458 is amazing to look at (valeting it is a pain) but to drive very disapointing. A backwards step in my opinion.

Return to “Road General”