Contact Lens or not?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
ALIHISGREAT

Re: Contact Lens or not?

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:41 pm

nunowoolmez wrote:I used to ride with my contacts in & always found that the left contact lens became very blurred (moving around/water & wind in eye). This was manageable as i still had good vision with the right lens, which was fine. However, as i was bombing down a quick descent one time, the left lens actually CAME OUT OF MY EYE! This was just ridiculous i thought & invested in some Oakley prescription lenses, i have 2 pairs & they are brilliant. I won't be going back to contacts.

I have the same problem -> particularly in crosswinds.. should be able to solve it with the right sunglasses though.. and I've never had a lens pop out!

Peat

Postby Peat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:02 pm

My main leisure pursuit other than cycling is kart racing. I used to have trouble with lense popping out or half out during a race. (Nothing worse than seeing 2 apexes at every corner.....) I found it was down to not blinking enough to keep them moist.

All this talk however has made me think about reviewing my brand and trying some of the newer-tech ones. I have been buying the same dailies online for a few years now without a trip to the opticians. I'd like to think they'd come on a bit.

the playing mantis

Postby the playing mantis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:43 pm

i have worn conatct lenses for the last 14 years since i was a kid, for paying cricket, and use them for pretty much everything nowadays without issue. i wear dailies, but on occasion in windy conditions on the cricket pitch or golf course they can be impacted a bit getting a bit dry- going blurry for a few seconds, shifting a bit if i rub my eyes etc, same when cycling, but so long as i wear sunglasses or light enhances on such occasions i have no issues. when cycling i always wear sunnies or light enhancers depending on conditions, not only do they protect the lenses from any potential wind drying issues and more importnatly protect the eye from any road shrapnel. also for me personally if i wear to wear prescription glasses/sungalsses for riding and they got damaged i would be screwed as my vision is too poor without them to carry on cycling safely on the road.

HC-ADP

Postby HC-ADP » Tue Jan 08, 2013 15:48 pm

Mine used to fall out at annoying moments, either too much wind/blinking/sweat - im not sure which it was but I pulled out of numerous races because of it. Had my eyes lazered and it was the best thing Ive ever done!

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Tue Jan 08, 2013 15:55 pm

I guess each of us have different lenses & i guess some cope better than others with different degrees of activity. My left lens goes funny even in normal non bike conditions so it is probably a lens issue. When it came out i was wearing my sunnies so it is just one of those things. I am happy with my prescription lenses, but if i had a reliable pair of contact lenses i would be just as happy to wear them. I think my left eye is a bugger to find a decent stigmatism lens for.

Won't rule out lazer surgery in the future, not for a bit tho.

the playing mantis

Postby the playing mantis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 16:01 pm

never experienced them falling out unless been seriously and agressively rubbing my eye (that sounds a bit odd...)

matt_tsim

Postby matt_tsim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 16:49 pm

contacts with sunglasses works pretty well i find. also if you do find that you want to get contacts, google search day soft lenses, they sell their contacts at a fraction of the price that you might have to pay on the high street. i think they only sell daily contacts though. (just as a disclaimed i DON'T work for them!)

Return to “Road General”