Got a question for Cycling Plus experts? Ask it here!

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...

New Scott Foil! Tire pressure :-/

Postby roflomusic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 18:40 pm

I recently purchased a 2012 Scott Foil 20. It's a hell of a bike. I love it. After my first ride on the bike, I cleaned up the tires to remove any debris from the rubber. What I found the following day is that somewhere along my route, I suffered a puncture and a slow leak on the rear tire/tube - the tube was flat. Lesson learned - new tube purchased. On my 2nd ride, same route, after completion did post ride cleaning of the tires.

This time, there was no leak or puncture, yet the tire/tube did not feel as firm as when I rode the bike.

Now my question. How does the rider's weight and outside temperature affect the air/rubber of the tube?

At the time of both rides -
Weight: 245 lbs. (111 kg)
Outdoor temperature: between 45-50*F (7.2-10*C)
The front tire/tube is fine. Nothing wrong.

Could my riding posture affect the tire/tube as well?

Please help! This my first big bike purchase and I love this bike. I don't want my first rides to be horrendous.
Robert Flores, musician/teacher
2012 Scott Foil 20
roflomusic

Frame advice for long distances

Postby Lycra Man » Fri Dec 23, 2011 21:16 pm

I like riding longer distances - Audax rides of 200k to 600k this year - and the majority of new frames tested in Cycling Plus seem more suited to racing or shorter sportives.

Can you tell me what frames you would recommend for long distance riding. They will need space for mudguards, and a triple for the hills. Assuming I had the money, I'd like recommendations in the £500-£1000, £1000-£1500 and £2000+ ranges.

Thanks in advance,

Lycra Man
FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
Lycra Man

Re: Got a question for Cycling Plus experts? Ask it here!

Postby Tony Defy2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 22:56 pm

I have a 9 speed compact double 50-34 and would like to fit a 11-34 cassette on it a few threads suggest that i will need to fit a MTB mech is this right or could i just fit a medium Tiagra mech?
Tony Defy2

Postby SecretSam » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:27 am

Experts: 3 questions, in descending order of seriousness:

1. Wheels - under £200, for a cyclist with a weight of 90kg, looking to ride sportif of 97 miles in summer (ride to the horns)

2. Seat pillar - how much should show? Mine's barely visible 'cos I've got diddy legs (29" inside leg yet 5'9") :(

3. Are all the C+ testers tall? You always seem to ride size XL/58 bikes in the mag - what about us poor little shorties?????

Great mag, BTW
--------------------
It's just a hill. Get over it.
SecretSam

Postby spamuel.taylor » Sat Feb 11, 2012 17:14 pm

Hi there,

I'm going to be doing a coast to coast bike ride in May so need to buy a road bike. I don't want to spend too much so my budget is £100 - £150 and I am looking to buy a second hand bike. I am 5 foot 6 - does anyone have any suggestions re make, model etc?

Sam
spamuel.taylor

Getting into Racing

Postby joshR96 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 18:48 pm

Hey, at the minute I only cycle for the good of my own pleasure. Recently I've wanting to get into racing and I have been looking at a few local clubs I could join to aid me on the way.

So, considering I'm 15, what sort of exercises would you recommend I start to do (not all necessarily related to cycling) if I wanted to start racing?

What sort of things should I start to eat?

Thanks 8)
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
joshR96

Postby mog812 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 14:31 pm

just a quick question...
I keep on reading about people eating bananas, as a good source of food while being out on a ride... :shock:
am I the only person in the world that can not stand these awful yellow herbs, that not only smell foul, and puts me of eating anything, but also the taste, and feel of the thing in my mouth?
I ate one, one time (recently), and it was sickening...
so enough of the rant...
Is there an alternative to the banana (including all things that might have bananas in it) ?

Thanks for your time and thoughts

Mog.
mog812

Postby jtothec101 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 19:48 pm

Hi there,

Massively new to biking, and am undertaking a massive 1000 mile charity bike ride in the summer.

I have myself a lovely new road bike, and have managed to damage the crank arm and chain ring, looking to replace them all.

I currently have a Truvativ Iso Flow 39/52, not looking to spend too much money, but one something as good if not better for around £50.

I have found RaceFace Cadence Road Chainset 39/53 - is this too big? i don't understand about the ratio's at all!

If you have any suggestions of better, or more suitable chainsets, please let me know. Really want to get back on the bike and training as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Jack
jtothec101

Postby Lawrence_T » Fri Mar 30, 2012 16:34 pm

Hi,

This is my 1st post, So ill introduce myself first before asking my question.

My name is Lawrence, I'm 23 and I live in Bristol, UK. I now find myself owning a Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra 2007 700c which I use daily for a 8.5 mile commute. I have been doing this journey for roughly 6 months now.

Recently Ive been thinking about doing some off roading nothing to serious just want to travel through parks and do a few trails. So here is my question, I want to put a thicker tyres on the above bike that will allow me to travel off road with ease? Willing listen to any suggestions. I am keen to be able to make the transition quite easily for example commute during the week and off road on the weekend.

Thanks
Lawrence_T

Postby wiganwarriors » Mon Apr 02, 2012 15:38 pm

Hi there. Running a 50/34 12/25 campag veloce set up at the moment.I was wondering if you have any recommendations on manufacturer who supplies a 12/28 cassette as campag do not appear to make this config.
regards
chris.
wiganwarriors

Postby den1966 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 09:08 am

hi there..
reco me a good decent saddle!! , i'm a new rider and (9mths), i've a padded thing from halfords on the bike and would like to upgrade , any advice would get you an internet pint .... :D
den1966

Postby Gingagimp » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:15 pm

mog812 wrote:just a quick question...
I keep on reading about people eating bananas, as a good source of food while being out on a ride... :shock:
am I the only person in the world that can not stand these awful yellow herbs, that not only smell foul, and puts me of eating anything, but also the taste, and feel of the thing in my mouth?
I ate one, one time (recently), and it was sickening...
so enough of the rant...
Is there an alternative to the banana (including all things that might have bananas in it) ?

Thanks for your time and thoughts

Mog.

Get yourself energy gel sachets or energy bars, take one sachet/bar for every hour you will be riding, so if you ride 4 hours, take 4 sachets/bars on your journey and take one every hour. The sachet/bar should not have more than 60grams of carbohydrate or 20 grams of protein as your body cannot absorb any more than this amount per hour........this info was in one of my bike magazines recently purchases and still fresh in my head, I'm a newbie so don't quote me on any of this...and if you die from malnutrition or obesity from my advise, please don't sue me....I have nothing :O)
Andy
Gingagimp

Postby mog812 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 09:02 am

and if you die from malnutrition or obesity from my advise, please don't sue me....I have nothing :O)
Andy

lol, and thanks for the reply
mog812

Postby seanorawe » Mon Apr 30, 2012 16:50 pm

I have been reading the 109% method for measuring your saddle length. After you measure your inseam length. What do you measure on the bike to then adjudt your saddle post?
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora
Giant CRS 2.0
seanorawe

Having Trouble Making A Choice

Postby tobycarey » Sat May 05, 2012 06:03 am

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a good road bike but I only have a budget of a £300. I found a few bikes that are priced within that range:

Barracuda Blackfin
Viking San Marino
Raleigh AIRLite 100

Which one would you recommend out of the three?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
tobycarey

Postby buzzwold » Mon May 21, 2012 11:57 am

What gear should I be in for cruising with the pack. I was in my first group ride on Sunday and I noticed that most of the guys around me seemed to in a lower gear than me. I've tried dropping a cog but all that happens is I spin the cog for no appreciable differnce other than I seem to use more energy. As the guys were all faster than me, what am I doing wrong?
Someone's just passed me again
buzzwold

Postby DonH » Sun Jun 03, 2012 22:50 pm

Hi. I've been road cycling for just over a year and am looking to upgrade my bike - which has a triple chainring....can someone please explain the difference between a standard double chainring and a compact - and give me a recommendation as to what I should opt for? I ride 40-50 mile training runs in the countryside and have just started 100 mile sportives. Thanks....I need some guidance.
DonH

Postby Baumer14 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 23:39 pm

I am brand new to biking and I was offered two bikes to purchase, both brand new... a 2010 Scott Speedster S40 and a 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0. The S40 is bring offered to me for $680 and the Newest 1.0 is being offered for $800; both are brand new from quality dealers.

I hear that the Fuji is a better bike, but I am looking for some un-biased help on this. Which one should I get?
Baumer14

Postby edschof » Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:48 pm

Hello, I have recently bought a bike and am looking at helmets, I have narrowed it down to a few but I can't decide, expert opinion please?

Helmets:
1. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hardnutz-hi-vis ... ng-helmet/ (HardNutz Hi-Vis)
2. http://www.rutlandcycling.com/40662/Gir ... ours-.html (Giro Savant)
3. http://m.evanscycles.com/products/speci ... t-ec025853 (Specialized Echelon)
4. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=70004 (Giro Monza)

Is there any difference between 2&3?
Is it necessary to have a neon helmet? (I will be using this go racing as well as normal cycling)
Is 4 any better than the rest?

And which would you recommend?

Thanks ed
Last edited by edschof on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
edschof

Re: Having Trouble Making A Choice

Postby edschof » Thu Jul 26, 2012 20:54 pm

tobycarey wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a good road bike but I only have a budget of a £300. I found a few bikes that are priced within that range:

Barracuda Blackfin
Viking San Marino
Raleigh AIRLite 100

Which one would you recommend out of the three?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I was in this situation a while ago and trust me buy a specialized allez/giant defy 5/trek 1.1. You will not regret it. Honestly
edschof

PreviousNext

Return to Road Beginners