What do you do about idiot drivers?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
haf1zur

What do you do about idiot drivers?

Postby haf1zur » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:04 am

Hi

What do you do with idiot drivers? Report them? ignore them?

Over the past month, only encountered 2 really dodgy drivers, one a female in a Fiat 500 turned left literally 2 inches in front of me and today another a male in a BMW sped up and turned left again, missing me by a couple of inches. Both times it was just after the lights turned green.

They all seem to be unaware that other road users exist

I got the number plates and was wondering is it worth reporting to the police? do others bother or just ignore it?

andy 3654

Re: What do you do about idiot drivers?

Postby andy 3654 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:09 am

I would report them for dangerous driving, cause if they don't understand what they did wrong they cant learn from it.

slowondefy2

Postby slowondefy2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:21 am

Anticipate them, ride assertively/tactically/defensively to avoid dangerous situations. Avoid roads and times where and when idiots are most prevalent. Shout warnings if necessary when I can see a situation developing, then stay quiet and get on with my ride afterwards.

Thank courteous drivers to help remind myself that most drivers are pleasant, and don't let the idiot minority ruin a ride. :D

Extralight

Postby Extralight » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:56 am

It's really difficult not to get agitated and into a confrontation, but that's almost certainly what it will become if you try and reason with an idiot. If it's an oversight or a mistake, you might get an apology, but if it's a willful piece of selfish driving, you won't succeed in getting them to acknowledge how dangerous they've been, they'll just get very aggressive.

I try to stick to this mantra to stay calm and alive: acknowledge the good, ignore the bad, and avoid the dangerous.

With regard to the two incidents you describe, think about your positioning at the junction/lights. On my commute, I know the junctions where people are likely to turn left on/across me, so I make sure that I position myself in the middle of the lane (or between lanes if there are two) to make it difficult for them to do this. If there's no ASL, then I'll position myself behind the first or second car waiting, so that I don't p1ss people of and hold them up at the lights. If you wait in the gutter at the lights where there's a left turn, it's easier for drivers to not notice or ignore you, and then take you out as they turn left.

Extralight

Postby Extralight » Tue Oct 02, 2012 07:58 am

andy 3654 wrote:I would report them for dangerous driving, cause if they don't understand what they did wrong they cant learn from it.

What happens if you do this? Does anything happen at all?

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 08:04 am

all the above.
a momentary act of stupidity i would tend to ignore and thank goodness no damage was done
an act of recklessness that looks like it might be repeated and be a danger to that person, me and other road users i would tend to do a 101 call. the police may not act on it unless there are independent witness but it will be logged and may be important in the future...

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 08:38 am

slowondefy2 wrote:Anticipate them, ride assertively/tactically/defensively to avoid dangerous situations. Avoid roads and times where and when idiots are most prevalent. Shout warnings if necessary when I can see a situation developing, then stay quiet and get on with my ride afterwards.

Thank courteous drivers to help remind myself that most drivers are pleasant, and don't let the idiot minority ruin a ride. :D

This
I Like Black Bikes

Grill

Postby Grill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 08:45 am

ShutUpLegs wrote:
slowondefy2 wrote:Anticipate them, ride assertively/tactically/defensively to avoid dangerous situations. Avoid roads and times where and when idiots are most prevalent. Shout warnings if necessary when I can see a situation developing, then stay quiet and get on with my ride afterwards.

This

+2
Getting worked up about situations you can't control are a waste of time.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

scrapyard_dog

Postby scrapyard_dog » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:38 am

Extralight wrote:With regard to the two incidents you describe, think about your positioning at the junction/lights. On my commute, I know the junctions where people are likely to turn left on/across me, so I make sure that I position myself in the middle of the lane (or between lanes if there are two) to make it difficult for them to do this. If there's no ASL, then I'll position myself behind the first or second car waiting, so that I don't p1ss people of and hold them up at the lights. If you wait in the gutter at the lights where there's a left turn, it's easier for drivers to not notice or ignore you, and then take you out as they turn left.

This is exactly what I do. Where I live there are plenty of traffic lights so when I come up to one I'll position myself towards the middle of the lane so that no one can come up beside me and potentially cut me off. :)

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:48 am

Just ignore them although it's easier said than done. I'm not sure the police would even speak to the driver without evidence and if you go to them every time a car driver causes you a danger you'll be in there regularly. Maybe consider getting a helmet camera and then, if someone does deliberately or unintentionally drive in a dangerous manner at least you can provide the police with footage.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Oct 02, 2012 09:54 am

Ignore careless driving, life is too short to get upset... just anticipate others'moves

Retaliation only where there is clear intention to harm... in that case I suggest the removal of the rear wing mirror with the sole of your shoe or if you are in a urban guerrilla mode, then you can carry a portable molotov in your second bottle holder... just remember not to drink from it... :lol:

SkyBlueAmateur

Postby SkyBlueAmateur » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am

I used to get massively wound up about this and get proper 'bike-rage'. Plenty of selective hand-gestures were meted out before I realised in doing so I was as bad as them.

Not a hell of a lot you can do about it, so I've learned to chill and just get on with it. The examples you've listed seem to be more a lack of diligence rather then maliciousness on the drivers part.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:00 am

Never had anything too bad.. just passing too close.. and in slightly dangerous ways.

But I don't want to be one of those communting yobs who are continuously shouting "oi!" at passing cars.

I'm quite calm.. and don't really get road rage/bike rage.

haf1zur

Postby haf1zur » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 am

Generally i am relaxed about it, but those two occasions have been a bit too close, most of the time drivers acknowledge their mistake etc. just not these two which got me riled up at the time

Always acknowledge patient drivers with a thumbs up etc., know how it is, love driving myself.

Positioning at the time was pretty crap I must admit, even though on a bike lane, will have to look into that myself in the future.

Thanks for the comments everyone
Last edited by haf1zur on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

charliew87

Postby charliew87 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am

I try to ignore them.

I'm still pretty shocked at the number of cyclists who I see who put themselves in situations to be subject to bad /dangerous driving. If there's a turn left lane at traffic lights, don't park yourself up on the left of any cars that might possibly flatten you.
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Hoopdriver

Postby Hoopdriver » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:26 am

Let it go.

There is nothing you can do at the time, and nothing the police are going to do later

saprkzz

Postby saprkzz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Hoopdriver wrote:Let it go.

There is nothing you can do at the time, and nothing the police are going to do later

+1 life is too short to get in arguments, what difference is it actually going to make? If you get knocked off or come off as a result of stupidity then that's different, shout away or report them, but a close left hooker, someone overtakes too close etc etc.. There is nothing anyone can do to change the way they drive.. just get on, enjoy the road & country side and avoid a shouting match or fisty-cuffs.

cyco2

Postby cyco2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:20 pm

Because of several swipes by motorists at left turns I now make it look like I am going straight on then without signalling put in a sharp left. Afraid there is nothing that can be done about errant drivers because some day one of them will get you. :(
At least my part road and off-road rides lesson the chances.
...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.

Graeme_S

Postby Graeme_S » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:23 pm

I miss the guy from the old C+ forums who used to post advice about what he would have done in these sorts of situations. His scenarios always ended with him burning down the driver's house.

Snailpace-Bob

Postby Snailpace-Bob » Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:32 pm

Extralight wrote:
andy 3654 wrote:I would report them for dangerous driving, cause if they don't understand what they did wrong they cant learn from it.

What happens if you do this? Does anything happen at all?

Absolutely NOTHING. A couple of years ago I was knocked off at a junction by a prat in a transit van. He just drove off and his pasenger wound down his window to straighten the wing mirror. I called the police to report it and they couldnt care less. I had his reg number and a description but they werent interested. Take the advice given earlier, assume that everyones going to cut you up and ride defensively.

Return to “Road Beginners”