Scary

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Peddle Up!

Re: Scary

Postby Peddle Up! » Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:19 pm

Mikey41 wrote:You can't, it's just done by feel and practice.

Anyhoo, yeah it's a brilliant feeling descending fast on a bike, I saw 35mph today which was a great payoff for the miles of climbing I'd had to do before it :D

Feel vulnerable? Yep, but the application of common sense and looking well ahead is normally enough to avoid nasty situations.

35mph. I can aspire to that, but tales of 60mph are, frankly, mental.

{Can I still say mental?} :?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Mikey41

Postby Mikey41 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 21:29 pm

Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

DaxPlusPlus

Postby DaxPlusPlus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:05 am

Someone posted a link to the following page http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html on Sheldon Brown's site a month or so ago when a similar question came up and I must say that even though I've ridden a bike for years, covering tens of thousands of miles I still learnt a lot from it. Now I hardly ever use the back brake.

Anyway thought I'd pass on the link and hope it's useful for someone else ..
Last edited by DaxPlusPlus on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile

Muffintop

Postby Muffintop » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:45 am

I had (and still do) crap myself on down hilling it. I only really let go if I know the downhill really well, know the conditions to expect and can see round the bends. Fastest I've ever went so far has been 37mph. This is really good for technique http://www.flammerouge.je/images/factsheets/Corner%20Schematic.pdf. As is the article that goes with it http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/descend.htm. I also found going round my local park and going round in circles helps with cornering (looking where you want to go not where your bike wants to go - it will follow you eventually).

Also, I won't be pushed. There's a face full of road between bravery and stupidity.

Mx
FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com

Mikey41

Postby Mikey41 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:40 pm

Here's what I have on my regular route. I climb steadily over a few miles to get to the top of the first downhill over the level crossing, then on the 2nd downhill I get 35mph. I could get that after the crossing but the corner at the bottom is blind and the road isn't wide, there could be mud on the road like there was at the top etc. so discretion is the better part of valour there :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9OK3hpnSA

http://app.strava.com/rides/24553864
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:58 pm

slowondefy2 wrote:It's worth looking up about 'speed wobble' so you're a bit prepared if it hits! Happens on motorbikes too so you've probably heard of it as 'tank slapper'...

Back in the day, I bought a Suzuki X7 with a really cheap nasty back tyre. The first time I got to 80 the handlebars started oscillating and they literally hit the stops on both sides. I absolutely crapped myself but somehow stayed on. That wasn't an experience I was in a hurry to repeat so I went straight to my local bike dealer the next day and replaced the tyre and had the tracking checked.

I really hope that never happens on my bike (at least I probably won't be doing 80 but nor will I be wearing full leathers either, gulp).

nolight

Postby nolight » Sat Oct 13, 2012 06:11 am

I am 1 of those who have experienced what it means to brake too suddenly, so I might actually start with 25-75 if braking at high speed (front brake is stronger and easier to cause crash if you don't control the power well). Then with enough control, I then move to 50-50 and finally 75-25.

I think the more experienced you are, the earlier you can get to 75-25.

Mikey41

Postby Mikey41 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 14:50 pm

I threw out the anchors really hard once and went over the handlebars.... It was more to do with the bike behind me slamming into me to be fair, but when you're 8 and your cap blows off it's what you do! :oops:
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

butcher of bakersfield

Postby butcher of bakersfield » Sat Oct 13, 2012 22:08 pm

I have ridden bikes for years. BMX and mountain bikes. And will happily descend a good stretch of tarmac on an MTB. But earlier this year I came out of the closet and got a road bike too. And it terrified me. Everything felt dangerous! The brakes are sub-standard. Tyres have marginal grip. Every crack in the road is a hazard.

I'm used to riding bikes designed to inspire confidence on descents. Bikes with brakes that can stop you on a sixpence. This is a completely different world.

For the first few weeks I was scrubbing off speed all the time. Timidly navigating descents and still deciding if this was for me - I wasn't sure whether I'd get used to it. But, I have to say, I soon found myself enjoying the descents and even seeking them out. I have my on, and my off days. Rain nearly always signifies an off day. There are descents local to me me that I literally crawl down when it's wet - 2, 3 or 4mph - I can be a right wuss! Yet on others I have hit over 50mph and been completely comfortable with it, cursing my gearing because my legs are spinning out. I want more. Some days I'm plagued by my own negativity. What if I get a puncture? What if a rabbit runs out? What if I get speed wobbles? And so I proceed gingerly at half the speed I could achieve. I prefer hills not too steep but steep enough. I prefer bends not too tight but tight enough. The extremes I'm not enamoured by. In the right conditions, and with a bit of confidence, it can be great fun.

Return to “Road Beginners”