Nightmare evening on "the rollers"

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
millsey_awm

Re: Nightmare evening on "the rollers"

Postby millsey_awm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 23:27 pm

Faired slightly better tonight on my 2nd attempt. Moved the gear inside the house and inbetween door frame as per all the great advice.

A bit better, gained confidence to keep hold of the handlebars tonight.

Still couldnt really do a lot of 'unaided' cycling as was bouncing off both door frames, then using my elbows to push off from the frame again.

Rollers are tiring, think my arms n elbows have had a better workout than my legs!! And the more tired i got the worse my balancing attempts became.

To master these things seems to mainly be a combination of hip balance, handlebar steadying and smooth pedalling. All of which i am yet to achieve :P

Still Rome wasn't built in a day i spose :mrgreen:

oldwelshman

Postby oldwelshman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 00:55 am

hmm interesting if your bouncing between the door frame lol something not right.
First of all make sure your rollers are set up right with the fron wheel on the roller and not behind or infront as this makes it awful to ballance.
The second thing I find with riders is they automatically lean to one side when holding on to support which means you never get balance right. You should only use a support to trun the pedal once or twice max, then just pedal smooth.
You should not even need to hold the bars if you get your setup and balance right, your probaly pulling on the bars when pedallig, you should be using legs only to turn pedals. Try a lower gear.
The easiest way to start off for beginners is one hand on bars close to cetntre of bars then two together similar to climbing position of hands on bars, then when moving try to go to the hoods, I very rarely use the drops on rollers, either centre of bars or no hands. On the hoods or drops can make you steer off easily.

millsey_awm

Postby millsey_awm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 01:16 am

oldwelshman wrote:hmm interesting if your bouncing between the door frame lol something not right.
First of all make sure your rollers are set up right with the fron wheel on the roller and not behind or infront as this makes it awful to ballance.
The second thing I find with riders is they automatically lean to one side when holding on to support which means you never get balance right. You should only use a support to trun the pedal once or twice max, then just pedal smooth.
You should not even need to hold the bars if you get your setup and balance right, your probaly pulling on the bars when pedallig, you should be using legs only to turn pedals. Try a lower gear.
The easiest way to start off for beginners is one hand on bars close to cetntre of bars then two together similar to climbing position of hands on bars, then when moving try to go to the hoods, I very rarely use the drops on rollers, either centre of bars or no hands. On the hoods or drops can make you steer off easily.

I seem to not be holding on to the doorframes but losing balance, falling into them and then having to push off away from them.

I did check the setup and it looked ok. I haven't ridden the front wheel off the roller or anything. Anything in particular setup-wise i might have overlooked? I have been in the middle ring of a triple crank when doing this.

Perhaps i just have really bad balance, yet i can cycle straight on the road. Confusing....

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Thu Nov 08, 2012 09:01 am

stick with it, it will 'click', if you can get used to the feeling of pushing the bike back into the centre with your thighs rather than pulling on the bars you will have cracked it. Its good once you get going straight for a minute, to gently move the bike from side to side to get the feel of steering it true. Most is about keeping a solid steady core and smooth pedalling.

millsey_awm

Postby millsey_awm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 23:04 pm

Well i've finally cracked it :D

Managed a couple of 20 minute sessions tonight. Even got down on the hoods and have moved it back into the garage!

Turns out my problem was the front wheel was slightly too much inside the front rollers. Qhen i adjusted this all went well.

Thanks to all of you for your advice n tips.

Just one thing i have noticed is a creaking noise n Im not sure whether its pedals, saddle or crank. Any ideas anyone as to what it might be?

Cheers :D

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Thu Nov 08, 2012 23:05 pm

well done for sticking with it. The creaking will be the bones in your legs or the neighbours leaning against the window to see what on earth you are up to. :D

Return to “Road Beginners”