First ride, so unfit!

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Mikey23

Re: First ride, so unfit!

Postby Mikey23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 17:34 pm

I have mentioned this before but found it inspirational...

Was riding a sportive in the new forest in August and got chatting to a guy. 40 years old, wife and three kids, smoked, drank heavily and did no exercise. Had a heart attack and suddenly realised he might not be alive to see his kids grow up

Wake up call so got a bike and life was changed. And burned me off at the end of the ride!

Guanajuato

Postby Guanajuato » Mon Dec 17, 2012 13:59 pm

Good on you!
As a kid I was fit - sub 5-minute miles, 13 second 100m, Sheffield to Matlock & back in about 2.5 hours on a 5-speed 'racer'. Then did bugger all for 20-dd years. So a bit of a belly was appearing.
A couple of years or so back I started running to try & get a bit fitter and shake off the doldrums. Knackered my knees and ankles though. I probably overdid it a bit!
I'd been riding to/from the office for a while, only a mile each way. So I decided to get out on my bike more. But for longer distances (I'm talking 4 or 5 miles) my hybrid was really uncomfortable, so I bought a cheapy Carrera TdF. I started doing more decent rides in May this year - and I built up to 40 mile on an evening once or twice a week.
My first decent ride nearly killed me - about 12 miles, but with a bugger of a hill at the start & halfway round. I'll admit to having got off and walked up the 2nd (shorter) one. By August I'd taken 10 minutesoff the same route, 5 minutes of it on that 2nd climb, which I did entirely on the big ring. I still struggle with climbs - anything close to 10% and I'm in the lowest gear, huffing and puffing. Unfortunately, I live in Kendal and its tricky to find a route without at least one decent climb. There's a couple of sections I do at the start of a ride now, both with small hills where I can guage whether I've got my climbing legs on, which then dictates the route I'll try. One day I'll beat this one. :oops:
I've found Strava really helpful as a motivation tool.
I do seem to have hit a bit of a plateu since then, much of it down to not having as much chance to get out. But I've been going further. Generally, I'm feeling much better. A few weeks off the bike and I tend to feel rough again.
I'm with you on not bothering with all the gear. I do have some bib shorts for summer rides, but its tracky bottoms and either hi-vis cycling top or Red & white striped football shirt, plus windproof/waterproof as needed. And I discovered overshoes are needed a month or so back. Wet & frozen toes are not fun.

Despite what I say about climbing, I'd say my most enjoyable ride was up to Shap Summit. 10 miles of constant climbing to 1500ft. But the road is really nice to ride. It may be an A road, but the M6 takes all the traffic. So its lovely and wide, sweeping bends. I felt I acheived something. the descent was exhilerating. that's despite it raining. :mrgreen:

No drastic weight loss - At my heaviest I was 14st and dropped to just under 13, but gone back up a few pounds since September. Whilst running I plateud at just over 13.5st.

So, keep up the good work. You won't regret it :D

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:48 pm

See this 'hill'?

http://goo.gl/maps/f1PwC

This is a flyover over the A50 at Hatton in Derbyshire. When I started riding again after a 10 year hiatus I would have to stop at the top to get my breath back.

It's now the start of my favourite 100Km route and I simply don't even notice it. I don't shift down from my flat road cruising gear and just tighten the legs slightly to maintain speed.

I'm not THAT fit, I'm still a bit overweight (damn you savoury snacks!) but I now get to enjoy moments like this:

http://youtu.be/7Ke2R4TJauA

Trust me. It's worth it. Every moment.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

#david2012

Postby #david2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 am

I sooooooo cant wait till next year to enjoy the sunny evenings! Having only owned my road bike for 4 months I haven't experienced 'many moments like that' :)

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:31 am

It's kind of odd... normally you only realise how good it was afterwards. That time, the moment I turned the corner and the speed started going up with no effort I knew I was in for a good 2 miles. I must admit I didn't quite expect it to be quite that sublime.

The next few miles on that route are just as good - quite little hamlet and virtually traffic free roads. When you're able to venture out those kind of distances you stumble across places like this.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Return to “Road Beginners”