Bike fit, well worth the money

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Nick1972
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 13:55 pm

Re: Bike fit, we'll worth the money

Postby Nick1972 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:12 pm

boogi11 wrote:
CiB wrote:
Thebigbee wrote:In theory it is great - cost effectiveness for a beginner is debateable. If you have over £1000 as your 1st road bike + and extra £500 for extras then good value.

Otherwise a bit of a waste of money IMO

Couldn't disagree more. Beginners can benefit hugely from being correctly set up and being advised how to ride it properly rather than spending the first few months / couple of years being hopelessly out of position and wondering how on earth anyone below pro-rider level manages to ride 60 miles in a day and doesn't need three recovery days afterwards. And those of us who have been around a bit can still benefit. The best £80 I ever spent on cycling was on a bike fit, which transformed a humdrum riding experience on a new machine to the best bike bike I've ever owned.



+1

i would happily spend the money again if i buy another bike, infact i intend to. the bike fit was £85 and i spent another £65 on a new set of bars, stem and tape. there was no pressure to buy them and the reason for requiring them was explained, i did not go to a shop for the fitting but to a specialist, all he does is bike fittings.

previously i had followed the guides of the net, and i did have the seat height about spot on, but for and aft was miles out, stem was to long, and to low, and bars were to narrow, cleats were at the wrong angle.

on a 30 mile ride i would normally ache in the knees and arch of foot. 70 miles yesterday and not a twinge, but also cadence was easier to maintain at a higher speed, drops were far easier to use and stay in, entire position felt relaxed. i asked the guy for a rough idea of frame size required on a new bike, but he explained that its a little more compliocated than that with front fork tube heights differing, i.e. my bianchi is 160mm his trek was 210mm, but top tube was the same!!


Where did you get your bike fit done?

boogi11
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 18:02 pm

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby boogi11 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:43 pm

better educated my ars*, school was not good to me, i have got my self into my managerial postion through hard work, my spelling may crap, but i can live with that.

I have just employed a girl, with a degree from oxford. as a van driver on minimum wage, and on her first trip out she forgot to put the parts on the van. unfortunately in this day and age a good education does not translate into a usefull employee with common sense

boogi11
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 18:02 pm

Re: Bike fit, we'll worth the money

Postby boogi11 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:44 pm

Nick1972 wrote:
boogi11 wrote:
CiB wrote:
Thebigbee wrote:In theory it is great - cost effectiveness for a beginner is debateable. If you have over £1000 as your 1st road bike + and extra £500 for extras then good value.

Otherwise a bit of a waste of money IMO

Couldn't disagree more. Beginners can benefit hugely from being correctly set up and being advised how to ride it properly rather than spending the first few months / couple of years being hopelessly out of position and wondering how on earth anyone below pro-rider level manages to ride 60 miles in a day and doesn't need three recovery days afterwards. And those of us who have been around a bit can still benefit. The best £80 I ever spent on cycling was on a bike fit, which transformed a humdrum riding experience on a new machine to the best bike bike I've ever owned.



+1

i would happily spend the money again if i buy another bike, infact i intend to. the bike fit was £85 and i spent another £65 on a new set of bars, stem and tape. there was no pressure to buy them and the reason for requiring them was explained, i did not go to a shop for the fitting but to a specialist, all he does is bike fittings.

previously i had followed the guides of the net, and i did have the seat height about spot on, but for and aft was miles out, stem was to long, and to low, and bars were to narrow, cleats were at the wrong angle.

on a 30 mile ride i would normally ache in the knees and arch of foot. 70 miles yesterday and not a twinge, but also cadence was easier to maintain at a higher speed, drops were far easier to use and stay in, entire position felt relaxed. i asked the guy for a rough idea of frame size required on a new bike, but he explained that its a little more compliocated than that with front fork tube heights differing, i.e. my bianchi is 160mm his trek was 210mm, but top tube was the same!!


Where did you get your bike fit done?



www.powerupbikefitting.co.uk top bloke

User avatar
Grill
Posts: 5377
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 08:27 am

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby Grill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 14:14 pm

boogi11 wrote:better educated my ars*, school was not good to me, i have got my self into my managerial postion through hard work, my spelling may crap, but i can live with that.

I have just employed a girl, with a degree from oxford. as a van driver on minimum wage, and on her first trip out she forgot to put the parts on the van. unfortunately in this day and age a good education does not translate into a usefull employee with common sense


Enhance your calm (this is an example of correct usage) my friend. No point in getting worked up just because your attempt (as is this) at low-bro humour backfired.

I agree wholeheartedly that education in no way translates into an instillment of proper work ethic, or intelligence for that matter. In fact, I'd wager that I have less formal schooling than yourself.

No let's put this whole episode behind us and be friends. Capisce?

Back on topic, I had my fitting done at Epic Cycles. Highly recommended.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

boogi11
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 18:02 pm

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby boogi11 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 15:13 pm

did you mean no or now :) :)

did you find the bike felt helped you ride better?

User avatar
Grill
Posts: 5377
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 08:27 am

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby Grill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 15:24 pm

Surely you mean "no" or "know"... ;)

I ended up buying the Foil during the fit as it was clear my old frame was too big. A week later I did a 12 hour Time Trial with no fit issues and since I bough the bike (2 and a half months ago) I've put over 3,000 miles on it including the Exmoor Beast, a couple of 200k Audax rides and a couple other random centuries. Could I have done this with a poorly fitted bike? Maybe, but it would have been painful and I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Next year I'll be doing the Bryan Chapman, LEL, 12hr TT, and 24hr TT on it. I fully expect those miles to be just as enjoyable as the previous 3,000.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

jazgill
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 09:37 am

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby jazgill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 16:02 pm

Hi
Please can anyone recommend somewhere to have a Bike fitting done in the West London / Berkshire area.
Many thanks
regards
Jas

dai_t75
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 20:14 pm

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby dai_t75 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:03 pm

Grill wrote:Back on topic, I had my fitting done at Epic Cycles. Highly recommended.


How much did that set you back Grill? Part of me thinks I should get a fit, but another thinks is it worth it when I only paid £300 for the bike :?

User avatar
Grill
Posts: 5377
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 08:27 am

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby Grill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:37 pm

It cost me nothing as I ended up buying a bike so it was included. I think the actual rate was around 75 for a session (about 2hrs IIRC).
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

msherry21
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 am
Contact:

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby msherry21 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 18:16 pm

Hi all, sorry to hijack this thread slightly but I just had a look at that "Power Up" website and they look amazing and all at an incredibly good price.

I live in Glasgow, a fair distance from Lincoln. Is there anything like that place in the Central belt of Scotland? I know Dales Cycles do a fit for £160 but no sure it's as comprehensive? Or technically as good?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get a fit done ASAP!

Cheers, Michael.
Mobile Car Valeting

Mobile Car Valet & Detailing Specialist based in Glasgow.

grony
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 15:28 pm

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby grony » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:25 pm

Grill wrote:
boogi11 wrote:i prefer your if thats ok, i am not convinced the 're is required, is that a welsh spelling :)


Okay, I hope that you're taking the mick.

It's "you're" not "your" as it's being used as a contraction of "you are" and not in the possessive.

I grew up and was schooled in the States. Looks like all this talk of Brits being better educated is just that... :P



Bit unfair to write off the British education system on the basis of a few semi-literate posters on an Internet forum.

User avatar
Islwyn
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 19:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby Islwyn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 21:44 pm

God, after reading all these comments I'll definitely be finding myself a fitter in London for when I get my new bike in December.

User avatar
kleinstroker
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 16:01 pm

Re: Bike fit, well worth the money

Postby kleinstroker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 22:12 pm

After reading an awful lot about bike fit, I'm still in two minds about the legitimacy of it. I understand the reasoning behind it and it does make sense, but I also believe it's true that every race team coach will immediately put you on a bike that would be classed as too small for you when getting a "proper" bike fit.
So how can they both be right? I now find myself leaning into the camp that there is no one best bike fit, but that the fit is based around the frame and what you want from it, and we can all ride a minimum of two different frame sizes with best fits based around those sizes.
Just my two cents..
My Men 2016: Julian Alaphilippe, Romain Bardet, Mikael Cherel, Tom Dumoulin, Tony Gallopin, Mikel Landa, Ritchie Porte, Zdenek Stybar, Alejandro Valverde


Return to “Road Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest