Whats wrong with me? I am getting worse!

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
DavidJB

Re: Whats wrong with me? I am getting worse!

Postby DavidJB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 09:09 am

NITR8s wrote:So ive changed my training to short high intensity workouts, yesterday I was dripping wet when I got off the turbo. Fingers crossed this makes a difference. Oh by the way, I dont tell anyone about this training as its secret training.

Mate, this time of year you should be doing long slow steady rides and pick up the HI work in February.

I'm pretty sure all that's happening is you're training too hard and not recovering enough. Its pretty common knowledge that you need a good solid base to build your top end on and also short HI workouts are not what you need for a sportive. Training harder != training better.

I know the temptation is to go all guns blazing all the time and to be fair that will get you so far but to really move your cycling to the next level you have to train right.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Tue Nov 13, 2012 16:39 pm

DavidJB wrote:
NITR8s wrote:So ive changed my training to short high intensity workouts, yesterday I was dripping wet when I got off the turbo. Fingers crossed this makes a difference. Oh by the way, I dont tell anyone about this training as its secret training.

Mate, this time of year you should be doing long slow steady rides and pick up the HI work in February.

I'm pretty sure all that's happening is you're training too hard and not recovering enough. Its pretty common knowledge that you need a good solid base to build your top end on and also short HI workouts are not what you need for a sportive. Training harder != training better.

I know the temptation is to go all guns blazing all the time and to be fair that will get you so far but to really move your cycling to the next level you have to train right.

Agree. Make sure you get enough rest & recovery.

Fr Howie

Postby Fr Howie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 14:16 pm

I too have lots of High-twitch muscle an not much slow twitch. Part of that means that my muscles are relatively inefficient at burning energy. I find I have to consume far more calories on a ride than some of my riding buddies whose buddies are set-up more for long distance work than sprinting. I have a really strong mix of energy drink with protein and make sure I've just eaten lots before I go out, otherwise I just end up feeling weak half-way round.

You may also find that their bikes are stiffer than yours, so as you all get stronger, your bike is absorbing more and more of your effort as it flexes under pressure than theirs. As my buddies upgraded to carbon bikes it didn't make that much difference until we hit the big hills and then out of the saddle they just shot off into the distance leaving me on my flexible friend (6061 Aluminium frame) behind. In the end I had to get a stiffer (Carbon) bike. Ironically they are all now buying cheap aluminium bikes to use in the winter. It's a funny old world!

Oh, and I believe that some people's bodies naturally respond faster to training than others. Not sure how true it is, but seems sensible to me.

Return to “Road Beginners”