Night ride

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
gerroffandmilkit

Night ride

Postby gerroffandmilkit » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:13 pm

As a beginner is it wise to take to the road for an evening ride out.

The dark nights and working every day except the weekends are killing me! Recently bought the bike and have just had the one opportunity to go for a ride (last Sunday). I'm itching to get back on the saddle.
The roads local to me are fairly well lit, I have good lights on the bike. What's to stop me going out?

Is evening riding better left to the lighter spring/summer months? Do you still get out and about during the darker nights?

Vegeeta

Re: Night ride

Postby Vegeeta » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:32 pm

2 words.... Endura Luminite.

Not the most athletic cut or the greatest material from a breathability standpoint but you'll be seen for sure!
Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Philinmerthyr

Postby Philinmerthyr » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:35 pm

If you've got good lights, there is no reason not to get out and ride. :lol:
Last edited by Philinmerthyr on Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uberkraaft

Postby uberkraaft » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:42 pm

I prefer night rides ... I feel safer once I'm all lit up and generally there's less traffic of an evening :) - Get out there!

elderone

Postby elderone » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:44 pm

get out and ride..long as not icy no reason not to.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

ForumNewbie

Postby ForumNewbie » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:50 pm

Rather than a night ride when it will be very dark, I prefer to get my miles in during the week by commuting when possible. If riding on country roads without street lights when pitch dark, you will need very good lights to see the road in front.

My commute is a 36 mile round trip and try to do it a couple of times a week. I avoid it when weather bad, but as forecast was good today, I went on the bike. Left house at 6:15am - a bit dark at first but nearly light by 7. Set-off back home about 3:15pm and getting darkish from about 4:30 as I neared home. However I would not have the energy or inclination to do a 36 mile ride after I got home work at night at this time of year.

Simon Masterson

Postby Simon Masterson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 22:29 pm

Night rides are nice; I like the peace and quiet. A bit of common sense - sensible speed mainly - and you'll be fine.

nmcgann

Postby nmcgann » Thu Nov 08, 2012 22:31 pm

I do a mid-week evening ride of 25-ish miles all year round except when it is icy. Just get good lights and go for it.

I use a Lumicycle LED headlamp which allows me to ride at full speed on unlit country lanes, but there are lots of cheaper options.

Stuuu

Postby Stuuu » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:07 pm

I enjoy a nice night ride. It is the only way I can cycle mid-week to get over the withdrawal symptoms of not cycling since the weekend. I don't do any major distance (about 6 miles) on roads that I know the quality of the surface of. I don't like a surprise pothole.

Bright jacket, big light on the front, flashy rear light and off I go.

vorsprung

Postby vorsprung » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:30 pm

I'm a fan of night riding

https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/night-riding/

Lights for bikes have come on a long way last few years. If you have a laney loop you already know somewhat and a powerful light it's probably safer than during the day: you can see cars coming by their headlights a long way off.

nochekmate

Postby nochekmate » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:47 pm

On the road at 5.30am this morning. As others have said it can be quite enjoyable riding in relative peace and quiet. As ling as you have some decent lights and some good quality clothing then there is nothing to stop you. Regular commuting is good for the mileage - do it before snow & ice arrives!!

cougie

Postby cougie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 16:29 pm

Rather than ride in rush hour - I like to ride later. Less traffic so you're more visible. Go to town on relfectives and always have at least two rear lights on and carry spare torches/batteries.

Watch out for badgers though - they're maniacs.

madtam

Postby madtam » Fri Nov 09, 2012 18:07 pm

Badgers on bikes ! I didn't even know they could ride.

sev112

Postby sev112 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 19:15 pm

Its the bloomin dumb pheasants, grouses and little deer that (until today at least) have been the most hazardous to me recently

Wacky Racer

Postby Wacky Racer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 20:22 pm

Night riding by me is pretty scary!! There is zero street lighting, all country lanes. The wildlife is a big problem, I've almost come a cropper with deer a few times, and Badgers are notorious for charging out right in front of you. Some of the lanes are narrow enough to put you in danger of cars coming the other way, to the point I don't bother anymore.
Ridley Orion

Philinmerthyr

Postby Philinmerthyr » Fri Nov 09, 2012 20:44 pm

I had a superb ride in the dark and pouring rain tonight. It was only 13 miles and around an hour but it was great to get out. Waterproof kit and decent lights make it really enjoyable. :lol:

gerroffandmilkit

Postby gerroffandmilkit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 21:28 pm

Planned on going out for a tootle round after work this evening.

Thought better of it when the heavens opened and the rain lashed down. Didn't see the point of risking a tumble as the roads would most likely be a bit greasy. Oh well, got the full weekend to try and get another ride in.

Quick question: You go out for a ride and it's raining. Apart from the wet weather jacket, what else would you wear both in summer and winter?

Luv2ride

Postby Luv2ride » Fri Nov 09, 2012 22:01 pm

Night riding is great, especially with decent warm kit. Just make sure you can deal with simple mechanicals, as not much fun if you get caught out miles from home in the dark. Small spare torch in rear jersey pocket is useful just in case! and look out for them thar potholes....
Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Tifosi CK7 - Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed "monster cross" - Spesh Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Philinmerthyr

Postby Philinmerthyr » Fri Nov 09, 2012 22:32 pm

gerroffandmilkit wrote:Planned on going out for a tootle round after work this evening.

Thought better of it when the heavens opened and the rain lashed down. Didn't see the point of risking a tumble as the roads would most likely be a bit greasy. Oh well, got the full weekend to try and get another ride in.

Quick question: You go out for a ride and it's raining. Apart from the wet weather jacket, what else would you wear both in summer and winter?

Riding in the rain is great. Avoid manholes and take cornering carefully and it is safe. Overshoes, a skullcap under your helmet, tights and decent gloves put you in your own world. I would also suggest you ride with lights in heavy rain to be seen even if it is broad daylight.

Mettan

Postby Mettan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 17:34 pm

gerroffandmilkit wrote:As a beginner is it wise to take to the road for an evening ride out.

Another option - early morning rides - nipping out at ~ 4:30 - 5.00 am can make for a decent ride - very little traffic around at that time (taxis mainly) - in addition to decent bike-mounted lights consider a small helmet torch and possibly some high-vis/reflective tape on the back of your helmet (easy enough to apply it so that it looks good).

Return to “Road Beginners”