Are clipless pedals faster?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
T.M.H.N.E.T

Re: Are clipless pedals faster?

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:26 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:To quote Dr Coggan

Quote, Other studies have also failed to show any benefits.End quote.

There was no difference in Vo2max, lactate threshold or efficiency.

Ok so list some other relevant studies on the subject.
Trev The Rev wrote:Are clipless pedals faster? If so why?

Which this

Is not.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:30 pm

^ as above, I don't understand why you re struggling with this so much...You ll be telling us that Dr Coggon says that changing the brand of bar tape has no effect on hematocrit or that the colour of you shorts has no effect on the length of your arms next...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:45 pm

It is time for others to post some evidence - if they have any.

If you can prove that clipless pedals do enable you to hold a given power for longer or produce more power for a given time, produce the evidence you have. Post the studies.
Last edited by Trev The Rev on Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cougie

Postby cougie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:49 pm

My study is that when I was four I'd not go far on my tricycle.
Now i've found clipless and I can ride more than 100 miles.

I think that's pretty conclusive.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:51 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:It is time for others to post some evidence - if they have any.

If you can prove that clipless pedals do enable you to hold a given power for longer or produce more power for a given time, produce the evidence you have. Post the studies.

I'm willing to treat it in the exact same way and will alter my opinions accordingly...
- @ddraver

iPete

Postby iPete » Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:51 pm

erm,
Thus far, Smith has only been testing chains, rear derailleur pulleys and pedals, but hubs and bottom brackets are in the works.

Among his more interesting findings:

-a 3-watt difference between two of the most commonly available new chains

-a 1.5w savings by changing pulleys

-1+w savings by switching to and from certain pedals

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... ncy-35694/

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:54 pm

^Looking at that, and the image copied below, he's only looking at clipless pedals

- @ddraver

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Nov 16, 2012 15:59 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:It is time for others to post some evidence - if they have any.

Did anyone in the thread actually state that clipless pedals made them faster,in a serious post not intended as humour? Once again, I fear you are attempting to weasel your way out of a bit of a predicament. Not for the first time might I add, and not for the first time to questions I have asked.

You have claimed for 2 perhaps 3 pages now that Dr Coggan said there was no difference in pedals, and your source relating to something entirely different just didn't hold itself up.

It's about time you actually provided something to back up claims you make.
Last edited by T.M.H.N.E.T on Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:01 pm

ddraver wrote:^ as above, I don't understand why you re struggling with this so much...You ll be telling us that Dr Coggon says that changing the brand of bar tape has no effect on hematocrit or that the colour of you shorts has no effect on the length of your arms next...

I can tell you that Dr Coggan has tested front brakes in a wind tunnel and has found a 3 watt saving.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:02 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:
ddraver wrote:^ as above, I don't understand why you re struggling with this so much...You ll be telling us that Dr Coggon says that changing the brand of bar tape has no effect on hematocrit or that the colour of you shorts has no effect on the length of your arms next...

I can tell you that Dr Coggan has tested front brakes in a wind tunnel and has found a 3 watt saving.

In a study on skinsuits probably.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:06 pm

For the final time Dr Coggan says,

Quote;Many years ago, we measured VO2max, LT, and efficiency in cyclists pedaling w/ and w/o toe clips, and found no difference. Other studies have also failed to show any benefits.

BMX riders produce enormous power at very high pedaling rates w/o having their feet attached to the pedals.End Quote

It is time for others to back up their argument with evidence.
t

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:10 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

In a study on skinsuits probably.

No a specific test on front brakes.

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... hite_Paper

http://www.tririg.com/docs/omega_whitepaper.pdf

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:16 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:For the final time Dr Coggan says,

Quote;Many years ago, we measured VO2max, LT, and efficiency in cyclists pedaling w/ and w/o toe clips, and found no difference. Other studies have also failed to show any benefits.

BMX riders produce enormous power at very high pedaling rates w/o having their feet attached to the pedals.End Quote

t

I'm going to make this as simple as I can for you.

Study - related - to - ENDURANCE - not - pedal systems - therefore - conclusion - doesn't - relate - to - the - question.

Try again.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:27 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

t

Study - related - to - ENDURANCE - not - pedal systems - therefore - conclusion - doesn't - relate - to - the - question.

Try again.

Post some evidence which proves clipless pedals enable you to cycle faster or produce more power for the same exertion.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:32 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

t

Try again.

Post some evidence which proves clipless pedals enable you to cycle faster or produce more power for the same exertion.

I don't recall saying they did so I have nothing to prove or provide evidence of. Yet another weaseling attempt.

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:35 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

t

Try again.

I don't recall saying they did so I have nothing to prove or provide evidence of. Yet another weaseling attempt.

Why do you have to get so personal?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:39 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:

t

Try again.

Why do you have to get so personal?

I got personal by simplifying something that you're publically making a meal out of understanding? You should appreciate the gesture in that I'm willing to not only help you out,but give you multiple chances to redeem yourself.

Never bite the hand that feeds you.

But back on topic.
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:To quote Dr Coggan

Quote, Other studies have also failed to show any benefits.End quote.

Ok so list some other relevant studies on the subject.
Trev The Rev wrote:Are clipless pedals faster? If so why?

Which this

Is not.

Here is your chance to redeem yourself.

How does a study on components of endurance,in which pedal systems were not a subject of testing - equate to the conclusion that there was zero difference between pedal systems, when the testing undertaken was related to vo2max, LT and efficiency and not mechanical differences or otherwise in pedals?

Where are these studies that show no benefit Dr Coggan speaks of? You may be quoting him,but the claim and therefore burden of proof is currently on you.

thegreatdivide wrote:And the winner of sh*t thread of the week is.....

Hardly surprising at this point.
Last edited by T.M.H.N.E.T on Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:48 pm

And the winner of sh*t thread of the week is.....
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Nov 16, 2012 17:51 pm

t

TH has said it already, but for the 5 th time, everything in that quote is either wrong or, at best, irrelevant
- @ddraver

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 18:58 pm

I'll ask you again. Have you tried sprinting out of hairpins every thirty seconds during an hour long crit, using flat pedals?

And an additional question. Given that the benefit of using clipless pedals isn't increased speed, why does it matter whether or not they make you faster?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Return to “Road General”