Upgrading my gears??

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Newbie28
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:42 pm

Upgrading my gears??

Postby Newbie28 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 17:04 pm

Hi All

I have been riding a little now on my Viking Sprint 14 speed bike. I want to get more gears on the bike but upgrading the whole groupset will be way to expansive and i may as well just buy another bike for around the same amount. My question is can I put a 8 or 9 speed cassette on my bike, or do i have to change the whole groupset?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

User avatar
hipshot
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 00:02 am

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby hipshot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 17:20 pm

I have upgraded from 8 to 9 in the past. You would possibly have to change your shifters, chain and rear derailleur as well as the cassette.

If you've got the money just upgrade the whole bike, it just isn't worth the hassle on a budget frame IMO.

User avatar
Charlie Potatoes
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 18:21 pm

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Mon Nov 19, 2012 17:28 pm

hipshot wrote:If you've got the money just upgrade the whole bike, it just isn't worth the hassle on a budget frame IMO.


+1

I would save up and buy a new bike in the spring. I'd keep the Viking as a winter hack/commute?
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

User avatar
Ouija
Posts: 1396
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 20:41 pm

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby Ouija » Mon Nov 19, 2012 17:34 pm

hipshot wrote:I have upgraded from 8 to 9 in the past. You would possibly have to change your shifters, chain and rear derailleur as well as the cassette.

If you've got the money just upgrade the whole bike, it just isn't worth the hassle on a budget frame IMO.


Probably have to switch out his back wheel as well, because if road bikes are anything like mountain bikes 7 speed uses different hubs to 8/9/10 speed (freewheel vs freehub).

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby Simon Masterson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 17:42 pm

It's worth more than the bike is: new rear wheel, rear derailleur, chain, shifters... Why do you think you need more gears anyway?

User avatar
gpreeves
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 16:44 pm

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby gpreeves » Mon Nov 19, 2012 17:47 pm

I found I had the same problem on my first road bike I bought last year. As Hipshot says, you'll have to change part of the groupset - your shifters, rear mech and chain will almost certainly be 7-speed and therefore incompatible with a 9 speed cassette. If you're finding that you need a higher/lower gear you could possibly buy a different 7-speed cassette. Have a look on Ebay/the classifieds on here - it may be possible to get what you need fairly cheaply. Having said that, I'd thoroughly recommend doing what I did and upgrading to a nicer bike if funds will allow. If you're willing to go second hand there are some absolute bargains out there.

Newbie28
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:42 pm

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby Newbie28 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 18:11 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:It's worth more than the bike is: new rear wheel, rear derailleur, chain, shifters... Why do you think you need more gears anyway?


It not the gears that are annoying me but the shifters, its a really nice bike to get going on and im not going to be doing any serious sportives or anything like that, Viking put these annoying handlebar shifters on and ideally i would like to put 7 speed integrated shifter and brake levers on. The problem being that trying to find a 7 speed shifter like the shimano sti's, flight deck or anything alike is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I have found one set that is for a 7 speed cassette with a triple chainset but im not sure that this would work. Everytime i stand up to go up a hill my knee knocks the current shifter changing the gears in the middle of a hill climb.

I hope this all makes sense.

To all the others thanks for all your comments

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby Simon Masterson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 18:16 pm

Newbie28 wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:It's worth more than the bike is: new rear wheel, rear derailleur, chain, shifters... Why do you think you need more gears anyway?


It not the gears that are annoying me but the shifters, its a really nice bike to get going on and im not going to be doing any serious sportives or anything like that, Viking put these annoying handlebar shifters on and ideally i would like to put 7 speed integrated shifter and brake levers on. The problem being that trying to find a 7 speed shifter like the shimano sti's, flight deck or anything alike is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I have found one set that is for a 7 speed cassette with a triple chainset but im not sure that this would work. Everytime i stand up to go up a hill my knee knocks the current shifter changing the gears in the middle of a hill climb.

I hope this all makes sense.

To all the others thanks for all your comments


Shimano RSX levers would presumably work, and those come up on eBay all the time. I cannot vouch for whether or not you could fit them without cable guides, however.

Newbie28
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:42 pm

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby Newbie28 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 18:35 pm

Simon

This is what I had in mind

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150950900583? ... 1423.l2649

or would the RSX be better? there is a set available in the same combination 7-3

Thanks for your help once again

User avatar
hipshot
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 00:02 am

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby hipshot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 08:31 am

Any Shimano 7 spd Shifters should work in terms of indexing, don't spend too much on them. You may need new cables to reach too.

If you aren't mechanically minded I'd recommend asking an LBS to do it.

Bear in mind that if you get serious about cycling you will upgrade the bike anyway.

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby Simon Masterson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:23 am

Newbie28 wrote:Simon

This is what I had in mind

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150950900583? ... 1423.l2649

or would the RSX be better? there is a set available in the same combination 7-3

Thanks for your help once again


RSX is fairly well regarded; I don't think you'd be going wildly wrong either way. Personally I would be mindful of not spending more money than the bike demands, and it's only shifting anyway!

User avatar
drlodge
Posts: 3622
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 08:29 am

Re: Upgrading my gears??

Postby drlodge » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 am

8 speed Sora shifters will work with a 7 speed cassette, since the sprocket spacing is almost identical 5mm compared to 4.8mm. You can't upgrade from 7 to 8 speeds, 7 speed bikes will have 126mm OLN rear hub, 8 speed requires 130mm.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava


Return to “Road Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest