Group Rides

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
richsieb

Re: Group Rides

Postby richsieb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 20:07 pm

Managed to find time to visit the bike shop today and speak to them in there. They were pretty keen to allow me out with them, even after explaining my experience so i will see how it goes :lol:

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 20:53 pm

The club I was referring to are a pretty good club and advertise themselves as newbie friendly. What they could have done better is communicate. The others were obviously experienced at riding in a group and because they were regulars were pretty used to whizzing up hills. If it had been explained that this was the first hill, it is fairly challenging, people do tend to attack it but they will wait at the top, all would have been well. Without such basic information and faced with the fact that this was only the first hill of a very challenging route then it is not unreasonable to assume that you are not going to cope and to turn around and head home and to find all sorts of excuses not to come back

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:05 pm

My local club has group rides twice a week and on both they split into three groups. The slowest (10-12mph) also has an experienced club member riding along at the back and they stay at the back no matter how slowly anyone is riding.
I would see if you know anyone in one of your local clubs or join their web forum (if they have one) and just be open about being a bit apprehensive. If they pooh pooh your concerns, you haven't found the right club. If they understand that everyone starts off as a beginner and promise to look after you, you should be on a winner.

Nik Cube

Postby Nik Cube » Fri Dec 07, 2012 19:40 pm

millsey_awm wrote:
Nik Cube wrote:
millsey_awm wrote:Sounds like these clubs don't help beginners much....

So even if you're a beginner they will leave you behind. And you've got to be proficent in bike repairs as well. It's this elitism that puts me off joining a club at the moment.

The club I ride with has a novice ride and we have spent many a hour half hour sorting a new riders bike out on the side of the road. We also do not leave people behind who are struggling to keep up. And that philosophy extends to all our rides and to all riders new, experienced, young or old.

We are a racing club and have fast rides and a fairly hard mid week chain gang - and no one gets left behind (a little bit like the rangers but in Lycra) :D

Great to hear things like that. Sounds like you're with a brilliant club there.

And refreshing to hear a reasoned, non-judgemental response. I think some people on here forget this is the 'beginners' section :roll:

We are a friendly club but we aren't prefect and sometimes the pace does get pushed along (I am guilty of driving fairly hard up hill) but we try and we take it in turns to ride with a new rider and have a chat. It is quite a shock when you are riding along having a chat to a club mate to then look around and see that you have strung the ride out and there are riders off the back. Then you reign it in and get everyone back together and keep it easy.
Fcn 5
Cube attempt 2010

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 22:45 pm

Which is fine and dandy if its communicated properly and you are familiar with the group dynamic but demoralising and intimidating if you aren't. In my case, I knew that a challenging ride was coming up therefore the best option I had was to turn round, drive back home and go out on my own later....

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 22:47 pm

Which means unfortunately, that the club in question will lose a valuable and motivated potential member

Nik Cube

Postby Nik Cube » Sun Dec 09, 2012 19:46 pm

Mikey23 wrote:Which is fine and dandy if its communicated properly and you are familiar with the group dynamic but demoralising and intimidating if you aren't. In my case, I knew that a challenging ride was coming up therefore the best option I had was to turn round, drive back home and go out on my own later....

It is a shame when that happens. Within my club a new rider is taken under someone's wing so if things ramp up they have company and confidence to stay on the ride as they know it will ease up and re group. I have ridden along with a new rider or two and have always explained what is going on and how things tend to work, one such newbie now has a tt machine a winter bike and a new racing machine. He checks in and often rides out to a club run with me getting in some extra miles.
Fcn 5

Cube attempt 2010

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 20:42 pm

yes, and i think that members should accept that they have that responsibility and not just leave it to the 'group leader' or club officials. the club in question have an active website and i have debated my experiences with them. they seem to think they are doing a good job and nearly are but with a bit of tweaking and input from the members it could be much better

Return to “Road Beginners”