Best road bike under £300

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
smidsy

Re: Best road bike under £300

Postby smidsy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 13:06 pm

duffydotcom wrote:
markos1963 wrote:Without being rude or snobby could you not save for a little longer and look at around £500. Both new and secondhand at that price are going to offer a much better experience. Ask at your local bike shop if they know any of their customers who might be selling a cheap bike or ask on club pages on Facebook if any members are selling, you never know.

It's not the fact I need to save, I could easy spend 1K on a bike. For my first road bike though don't want to be throwing stupid money around. I've looked all over eBay but as someone else said I wouldn't really know what I'm looking for as far as quality

Which is exactly why people are saying go better that the triban - you will only want to upgrade later. Even if you don't may as well get the best you can (it will sell better if you get fed up). Just my take on it FWIW.
Yellow is the new Black.

nochekmate

Postby nochekmate » Fri Dec 21, 2012 16:21 pm

This is where I would be aiming my £300 at (since sold not surprisingly)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... 7675.l2557

bobones

Postby bobones » Fri Dec 21, 2012 18:02 pm

smidsy wrote:
duffydotcom wrote:
markos1963 wrote:Without being rude or snobby could you not save for a little longer and look at around £500. Both new and secondhand at that price are going to offer a much better experience. Ask at your local bike shop if they know any of their customers who might be selling a cheap bike or ask on club pages on Facebook if any members are selling, you never know.

It's not the fact I need to save, I could easy spend 1K on a bike. For my first road bike though don't want to be throwing stupid money around. I've looked all over eBay but as someone else said I wouldn't really know what I'm looking for as far as quality

Which is exactly why people are saying go better that the triban - you will only want to upgrade later. Even if you don't may as well get the best you can (it will sell better if you get fed up). Just my take on it FWIW.

The Triban 3 is plenty good enough to find out if there's a love for cycling and it most certainly won't hold you back. If there is a desire for a better bike after a year or so then the Triban 3 becomes the winter/rain bike. That's not to say that the Triban 3 isn't worthy of a few upgrades here and there if upgraditis strikes - e.g. tyres, wheels, brake pads, but those are probably worth upgrading on most new bikes.

I'd don't think the people who are saying spend more realize how good a bike this is. It's better than most £500-600 bikes elsewhere and as good as some 3 times the price. Either that or the prejudice is pure bike snobbery.

Review here

By the way, I don't own one of these bikes, but I've ridden and inspected them up close and they are quality bits of kit. Frame built in Italy too!

RobertSims

Postby RobertSims » Fri Dec 21, 2012 18:15 pm

to hijack thread but on triban 3 what do people think makes biggest difference upgrade wise?
Triban 3

kilo

Postby kilo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:25 pm

RobertSims wrote:to hijack thread but on triban 3 what do people think makes biggest difference upgrade wise?

I've got one as a winter commuter hack to replace a langster (my summer non race bikes are a ribble sportive and a roberts "clubmans" bike and am reasonably experienced) for an immediate upgrade; pedals don't really count as they are a given on any bike that doesn't come with spds, the saddle - stock one is terrible and in my case the stem which was too long. After that I may replace the tyres but as it's a commuter and it's winter so may not bother. Anything else and i'll wait till they wear out, the gears, brakes and chainset seem to be ok and the bars are quite nice
I guess the most noticeable change would be the wheels and tyres but again unless you are going to do a sportive straight off or can get some bargain aksiums or the like I wouldn't rush to do this, the ones on it seem to be ok so far (but did have to slacken off the cones on the front a smidgen)

For under £300 I rate it as a good buy, i looked at the triban 5 but didn't think, for me personally, that was worth the extra £200 for carbon stays and sora. It's a winter hack for me an I cba'ed looking for a second hand bike but I can see with only minimal changes it being good enough for beginners to take them up to club run, beginners racing, club 10's etc. Having looked at and ridden a colleagues specialized secteur I don't see that being worth a couple of hundred quid more

RobertSims

Postby RobertSims » Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:28 pm

that's great. thanks. out of curiosity what didn't you like about saddle or it just a case of different shapes suit different people?
Triban 3

kilo

Postby kilo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:38 pm

RobertSims wrote:that's great. thanks. out of curiosity what didn't you like about saddle or it just a case of different shapes suit different people?

It was the worst saddle I've ever had, usually i can sit on most stock ones and have about six different makes and models on my bikes at present but this one was weird, like some sort of banana shaped torture device- utter crap

Return to “Road Beginners”