Bit silly, what gear?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Pross

Re: Bit silly, what gear?

Postby Pross » Fri Jan 04, 2013 09:53 am

Bwgan wrote:I hear what you are all saying. Just want to say that he has been a sponsored MTB rider a few years ago (by a local shop), he is ultra fit and I mean ultra fit. He just calls it 'spinning', of which he also goes to.

Being ultra fit doesn't necessarily mean having common sense. Use CiB's chart, you will find a small ring x mid sprocket alternative to the big x big gear that is far smoother. As for spinning, you'll be spinning even more if you go small chainring x large sprocket so that is nonsense from your mate as well.

♠ChumBucket♠

Postby ♠ChumBucket♠ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:18 am

Maybe the guy is using this as a kind of training aid? Like, using one (mid-range) gear will force him to spin most of the time but then force power other times, a bit like a fixy? :?:
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

keef66

Postby keef66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am

Rolf F wrote:
DesWeller wrote:That bike is getting a triple this winter lol.

Have to admit there is an unambiguity about triples I like. Big = going down, small = going up, middle = everything else!

That's the very thing I like about mine. It's sort of Fisher-Price simple, much like me.

I did think as I got fitter I might spend more time in the big ring but no, I still use the middle 39t about 90% of the time.

CookeeeMonster

Postby CookeeeMonster » Fri Jan 04, 2013 13:10 pm

keef66 wrote:
Rolf F wrote:
DesWeller wrote:That bike is getting a triple this winter lol.

Have to admit there is an unambiguity about triples I like. Big = going down, small = going up, middle = everything else!

That's the very thing I like about mine. It's sort of Fisher-Price simple, much like me.

I did think as I got fitter I might spend more time in the big ring but no, I still use the middle 39t about 90% of the time.

+1 I still miss my hybrid which had the 3 front gears...2 don't seem enough!! :)
Rose PRO DX CROSS-3000
Charge Filter

southdownswolf

Postby southdownswolf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 14:31 pm

If he is using a compact (50/34) with 11-25 cassette, so 50/25 gearing, this would be the same as 34/17. The 34/17 would be much better for the chain.
http://www.stuartmole.co.uk/

Bwgan

Postby Bwgan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 15:29 pm

No idea if he has a compact on his bike. I really just wanted to know if that is a good form of training. His thoughts on it are because you are in daddy ring, it's more efficient than mummy ring. It definitely works for him, unless he's on EPO or something lol

DesWeller

Postby DesWeller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 16:14 pm

Bwgan wrote:No idea if he has a compact on his bike. I really just wanted to know if that is a good form of training. His thoughts on it are because you are in daddy ring, it's more efficient than mummy ring. It definitely works for him, unless he's on EPO or something lol

For the same gear ratio, the efficiency difference between using a 50T chainring and a 34T chainring will be too small to measure reliably.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jan 04, 2013 16:19 pm

DesWeller wrote:
Bwgan wrote:No idea if he has a compact on his bike. I really just wanted to know if that is a good form of training. His thoughts on it are because you are in daddy ring, it's more efficient than mummy ring. It definitely works for him, unless he's on EPO or something lol

For the same gear ratio, the efficiency difference between using a 50T chainring and a 34T chainring will be too small to measure reliably.

And probably more than offset by the increased resistance due to the uncomfortable chainline.

The only real benefit I can think of is that you are using the gears that wear more slowly. Who kills the big sprockets and chainrings first? But that really isn't good enough.
Faster than a tent.......

Pross

Postby Pross » Fri Jan 04, 2013 17:24 pm

Riding in various gears at different cadence can be good training for specific traits such as strength or power (the two are not the same thing and different methods of training develop each of them) but the fact is all he is doing is using a medium gear that could be replicated in a more suitable way using the small chainring and a medium rear sprocket.

Bwgan

Postby Bwgan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 19:10 pm

Pross wrote:Riding in various gears at different cadence can be good training for specific traits such as strength or power (the two are not the same thing and different methods of training develop each of them)

Ok, putting aside gear ratios and my mate, what different forms of training can be done to develop strength and develop power?

Cheers

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 13:01 pm

Intervals and hill repeats
Yellow is the new Black.

Bwgan

Postby Bwgan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 13:04 pm

Yeah started the hill repeats the other day, not nice, and even had the post man mocking me! Will be worth it soon, I hope

Return to “Road Beginners”