Winter Hack or Cleaning Decent Bike

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
ovi

Re: Winter Hack or Cleaning Decent Bike

Postby ovi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:05 am

smidsy wrote:
ovi wrote:I've just come back from a ride and I took this photo half way through, would you want a good bike to get like this?
The chainset and rear derailleur is right up the naffs. You could stick to the main roads where its cleaner but I like to be a bit adventurous with my old bike.
on my rides

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BUT you will still clean and lube it will you not?

The OP seemed to think that if he got a winter bike it removed the need for maintenance and cleaning...or at least that is how it came across to me, which is why I gave the response I did. 8)

I'll just look out for a big puddle lol

Flexisurfer

Postby Flexisurfer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:23 pm

Cleaning a winter bike takes significantly less time than cleaning your best bike and I think that is what he meant.

My winter bike gets a weekly Muc Off wash and brush up with an extra wipe dry and relube of the drivetrain if I ride home in pouring rain. The frame and wheels are alloy so they will not rust but the drivetrain is not.

If I rode my best bike it would get the full works including dismantling polishing most things after every ride and considering I get home at half past midnight that just would not happen.

Winter bikes for commuting are a must and can be used at the weekends too if it is really horrible out. Much better than looking out of the window and deciding not to ride.[/quote]

Word for word what I was going to say. I bought a new winter bike last October and its been ridden through the worst winter weather so far, so much so it's back at he shop waiting for a new set of forks, freehub and bottom bracket. I returned to work last Thursday and rode my best bike with guards and after just 2 days it looked like it had been ridden through a building site. It's just been given the clean of all cleans after today's ride, if I had been on the winter bike then I wouldn't clean it to he same extent. I've got SKS guards on my best bike and Cruds on the winter bike and the Cruds keep the bike cleaner no doubt.

night_porter

Postby night_porter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 23:00 pm

Hmmm someone else gets home at half past midnight eh???

Pollys Bott

Postby Pollys Bott » Sat Jan 05, 2013 23:06 pm

night_porter wrote:Winter bikes for commuting are a must and can be used at the weekends too if it is really horrible out. Much better than looking out of the window and deciding not to ride.

Nail. Head.

Building myself a commuter / winter bike this time last year was one of the best things I've done.

GavH

Postby GavH » Sat Jan 05, 2013 23:37 pm

I don't understand the question. Why would you not want more than one bike? :lol:

In all seriousness, I built my winter bike after pointing out o the wife the damaging effects of the corrosive effect the salty gunk on winter roads was having on my carbon bike. That cued an excuse to build a winter bike, which in order to 'save costs' would 'borrow' certain expensive parts from the good bike (wheels and tyres, shifters, chain, cassette, pedals, saddle). Obviously a few months later, the new bike 'really' needed new wheels and tyres, shifters, chain, cassette, pedals and a saddle.

Net result: reasonably nice winter bike with an upgraded summer bike on the side.

k-dog

Postby k-dog » Sun Jan 06, 2013 17:39 pm

I would definitely get another bike - and definitely with proper mudguards - they are a lot better than clip on ones.

This is the first year I've done that and it's been great - I got a single-speed bike with 35mm tyres and good mudguards. It's been very easy to keep clean (proper mudguards do that as they are long enough) and really only needs a light hose down and some lube occasionally.

Last year my best bike got filthy and I spent a lot of time fiddling with it to get it back to normal. It's in individual pieces right now and should be back in best condition when the weather gets better.

I wouldn't buy any of the bikes you suggested. £200 is a lot for a second hand bike so you could get something much better that will suit your needs. If it lasts a couple of winters with only minimal maintenance then you'll have had your money's worth and not ruined your other bike.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Bullet1

Postby Bullet1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:36 pm

Thanks for all your responses.

Just to be clear - I know that all bikes need maintenance. I also know that I'd spend more time and effort cleaning a £250 bike than I would a £1500 bike.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 22:34 pm

Surely you would spend the same time cleaning both (if not more time on the higher value one not less)
Yellow is the new Black.

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 am

I've now got a Winter bike, my old Condor 531 and it has mudguards fitted only 4 years after buying them!!! I'll take this out if its wet and I don't want to get my new pride and joy dirty.

The new Rourke gets taken out if its "dry", and on long rides like last Sat when I did 77 miles. Although it was dry, I still kept to main roads as the minor roads are still quite $hitty, the Rourke did have some dirt on it but not that bad. I don't want to get crud in the expensive Campag Super Record drive train.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

bobones

Postby bobones » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 am

Winter bike for me, well more like winter/rain bike as it sees a lot of use in other seasons too. This bike has SKS guards attached permanently, less nice wheels, hardier tyres, and slightly cheaper components, but it's still a nice bike that I enjoy riding and can ride fast. That's important: if you don't enjoy riding your winter bike, you're less likely to go out in foul weather.

Regardless of how often you clean your bike, the rims will wear a lot faster in crap weather so definitely don't use your best wheels if you want them to last more than a couple of seasons. I also think you're a lot more likely to crash in wet or winter conditions so it's nice to not be so worried about the frame or components taking a hit. The good bike stays turbo ready (i.e. trainer tyre attached) during the winter months and still gets used regularly, albeit indoors with zero risk of damage.

Return to “Road Beginners”