The hunt for new wheels continues....

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
millsey_awm
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 13:18 pm

The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby millsey_awm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:15 pm

Hi all,

Still on the hunt for a wheelset upgrade. I've started to stray from my original choice of Fulcrum Racing Quattro's, maybe for these....

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/2013-kinetic-one-gipiemme-k1-40s-40mm-deep-alloy-wheels-road-time-trial-triathlon-bike---black-98-p.asp

Apparently they are still suitable for heavier riders (18st +). I know they have a lowish spoke count due to being aero, but will the rim depth and Sapim spoke strength counteract that?

Need to pull the trigger on some new kit soon :mrgreen:

Thanks as always folks :D

User avatar
wishitwasallflat
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 am

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby wishitwasallflat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:18 pm

If you are 18st+ go for handbuilts with 36 spokes - unless your crazy rich and have spare sets. Find Ugo his rep for quality work is soaring.

lostboysaint
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:59 am

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby lostboysaint » Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:19 pm

Have you checked the weight on those?! Over 2kg!! Move on.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

millsey_awm
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 13:18 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby millsey_awm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:44 pm

lostboysaint wrote:Have you checked the weight on those?! Over 2kg!! Move on.


With me being 18st 7, i was looking for durability rather than wheel weight. At my weight i don't think 500g here and there is going to make much difference :)

lostboysaint
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:59 am

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby lostboysaint » Wed Feb 06, 2013 15:22 pm

No, but they're ******* heavy and have very few spokes.

You're unlikely to be good enough to take advantage (if there is one) of the "aero" features and yet you're happy to sacrifice the weight and spoke count of a decent set of handbuilts (32 or 36 spoke).

Admit it, you're just a tart that wants a set to look good!

(Oh, and just in case you're wondering, I was 115kg - 18st+ when I started riding road bikes again).
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

millsey_awm
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 13:18 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby millsey_awm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:28 pm

lostboysaint wrote:No, but they're ******* heavy and have very few spokes.

You're unlikely to be good enough to take advantage (if there is one) of the "aero" features and yet you're happy to sacrifice the weight and spoke count of a decent set of handbuilts (32 or 36 spoke).

Admit it, you're just a tart that wants a set to look good!

(Oh, and just in case you're wondering, I was 115kg - 18st+ when I started riding road bikes again).


Yep i want a set to look fairly good but not overly bothered about aero or spoke count too much. Just want them to be pretty bomb-proof and no more than £300 ideally. And look good :mrgreen:

Apart from their weight then is there anything else wrong with them?

Any other suggestions in the 24mm+ rim depth area?

Cheers :D

User avatar
Gizmodo
Posts: 2025
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 19:27 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby Gizmodo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:38 pm

Hand built wheels are your best bet. Send a Private Message to Pablo aka ugo.santalucia on this forum, he has built wheels for 2 friends of mine and they are very happy.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 17993
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Feb 06, 2013 19:02 pm

millsey_awm wrote:Hi all,

Still on the hunt for a wheelset upgrade. I've started to stray from my original choice of Fulcrum Racing Quattro's, maybe for these....

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/2013-kinetic-one-gipiemme-k1-40s-40mm-deep-alloy-wheels-road-time-trial-triathlon-bike---black-98-p.asp

Apparently they are still suitable for heavier riders (18st +). I know they have a lowish spoke count due to being aero, but will the rim depth and Sapim spoke strength counteract that?

Need to pull the trigger on some new kit soon :mrgreen:

Thanks as always folks :D


Why looking for something suitable when you can have something made for you weight? If you weigh over 100 Kg, bespoke is your best bet. If you are not excessively fussy about the colour of the nipples or the size of the stickers, they might turn out to be competitive or cheaper than wheels made in A factory for someone lighter

User avatar
pride4ever
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 18:55 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby pride4ever » Wed Feb 06, 2013 20:36 pm

Gippiemmi wheels are excellent,,,go for it.
the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.

t4tomo
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 21:27 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby t4tomo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 15:00 pm

millsey_awm wrote:Yep i want a set to look fairly good but not overly bothered about aero or spoke count too much. Just want them to be pretty bomb-proof and no more than £300 ideally. And look good :mrgreen:

Apart from their weight then is there anything else wrong with them?

Any other suggestions in the 24mm+ rim depth area?
Cheers :D


if your a big chap than you should be bothered about spoke count - more spokes = more bomb proof / strength.

Fancy spoke patterns are for show only and strictly for lightweights, you want plenty of spokes distributed evenly.
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

User avatar
drlodge
Posts: 3622
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 08:29 am

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby drlodge » Fri Feb 08, 2013 15:32 pm

As others have said, go hand built. Either Ugo who others have used here, or I can recommend Harry Rowland http://www.harryrowland.info/
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

User avatar
smidsy
Posts: 5256
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 20:52 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby smidsy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 16:38 pm

Or buy some low spoke count wheels from EPO Delivery Man that never break...allegedly. :-)

IME I would say handbuilt 36 spoke is the way to go fo you.
Yellow is the new Black.

millsey_awm
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 13:18 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby millsey_awm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 22:33 pm

Thanks for the advice, more food for thought.

I was wondering if anybody knows any handbuilts that would also supply and fit a cassette for me as well?

User avatar
Gizmodo
Posts: 2025
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 19:27 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby Gizmodo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 07:54 am

millsey_awm wrote:Thanks for the advice, more food for thought.

I was wondering if anybody knows any handbuilts that would also supply and fit a cassette for me as well?

That's the beauty of hand builts, they are being built to your specification by a human being, so all you have to do is ask them, I'm sure they would give you a price.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 17993
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Feb 09, 2013 08:40 am

millsey_awm wrote:Thanks for the advice, more food for thought.

I was wondering if anybody knows any handbuilts that would also supply and fit a cassette for me as well?


Mmmhhh, that sounds like a tough ask... :lol:
You just supply your builder the cassette and he'll fit it for you free of charge... it takes 1 minute to fit a cassette... only someone with mental issues would charge you for that

millsey_awm
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 13:18 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby millsey_awm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 23:41 pm

Sorry to resurrect my post.

Was wondering about my options if i could not afford handbuilts.

What would be my best bet of wheel choice from all of the factory built models?

Something like the Fulcrum Racing 5? ?

User avatar
frazered
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 14:20 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby frazered » Fri Feb 15, 2013 08:48 am

why do you need to upgrade? have you battered your existing wheelset ? or just fancy it?

User avatar
SecretSam
Posts: 3703
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 14:48 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby SecretSam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 09:04 am

Go handbuilt, seriously. I got a quote from Harry Rowland for about £200 for Mavics on 105, 32 spoke. Job done. Look in C+ back issues, lots of handbuilts tested. Try also Spa, Ugo, your LBS (if they're any cop, mine isn't)
--------------------
It's just a hill. Get over it.

User avatar
smidsy
Posts: 5256
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 20:52 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby smidsy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:53 am

Loads of options under 300 pounds with hand builds. Far better value than factory.
Yellow is the new Black.

MankyBianchi
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 22:57 pm

Re: The hunt for new wheels continues....

Postby MankyBianchi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 am

millsey_awm wrote:Was wondering about my options if i could not afford handbuilts.


Surely if you actually contacted some wheelbuilders then you would know whether or not you could afford handbuilts – only then would you need to wonder about factory built wheels, no?


Return to “Road Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests