How does Gordon Ramsay get away with it?

Serious discussion of cycling issues
Gary Askwith

Postby Gary Askwith » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:59 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>
...Blackbirds completly different thrush family, nice warblers unlike covids which are the most unmusical birds in existance...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">But a rookery heard while cycling on a crisp Autumn morning is the single sound most redolent of the English countryside...
<font color="red">.agreed...and the sound most frequently used to convev it- eg The archers</font id="red">
So Ramsay, who doesn't give a toss, is clearly a chav of the most despicable kind.
<font color="red">Say no more [xx(]</font id="red">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

------------------------
Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....
------------------------

Cab

Postby Cab » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:47 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

I've got nothing in principle against killing something to eat it. However, it became clear that all Ramsay was doing was cooking the rook breasts and they were minute. However, he's such a golden boy that he'd probably get a knighthood for getting a bunch of vegans to help him prepare lark tongue stew.

Dunno about rook, but on a pigeon for example thats practically all the meat there is. Is there enough on the rest of the rook to be worth eating?

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
Vote Arch for Prime Minister

Uncle Mort

Postby Uncle Mort » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:53 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cab</i>

Dunno about rook, but on a pigeon for example thats practically all the meat there is. Is there enough on the rest of the rook to be worth eating?

My grandma used to make rook pie. I distinctly remember her using the legs and thighs as well as the breast meat. It's like making game pie with older pheasants and grouse. You cook the jointed bird gently with herbs and veg so the meat gets tender. You strip the meat off for the pie and you have stock as well. But that was the traditional way, not Ramsay's way...

rothbook

Postby rothbook » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:15 pm

Isn't the bird full of shot?

Uncle Mort

Postby Uncle Mort » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:35 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Isn't the bird full of shot?

You get the odd bit, but that's all part of the "fun" of eating game.

rothbook

Postby rothbook » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Mmmm, crunchy!

Uncle Mort

Postby Uncle Mort » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:38 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Mmmm, crunchy!

But you're supposed to spit - not swallow [:)]

Cab

Postby Cab » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:52 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>
Pigeon breasts are a bit variable in size depending on how well it's been eating, but these rook breasts were minute.

Even a big fat pigeon still only has a little bit of meat on it, relative to the apparent size of the bird.

As for the rooks, yes, I'm sure the breasts are small as its only rooklings that are taken for the pot. But why does the amount of meat make a difference to whether or not the bird can reasonably be taken for the pot?

Cab

Postby Cab » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Uncle Mort</i>
My grandma used to make rook pie. I distinctly remember her using the legs and thighs as well as the breast meat. It's like making game pie with older pheasants and grouse. You cook the jointed bird gently with herbs and veg so the meat gets tender. You strip the meat off for the pie and you have stock as well. But that was the traditional way, not Ramsay's way...

Interesting, thank you!

My dad related once how his mum used to cook rookling. Strip off the breasts, soak in milk overnight, then fry the breasts the next day. That, apparently, was the traditional way in Northumberland.

Smeggers

Postby Smeggers » Wed Jun 06, 2007 14:06 pm

So we're back to the Korean Dogs and French Horse argument?

<font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
A baby elephant ran up the clock,
The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">

Smeggers

Postby Smeggers » Wed Jun 06, 2007 14:23 pm

I didnt know our antipodean friends were partial to a spot of primate on their barbecues?! :)

<font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
A baby elephant ran up the clock,
The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">

Return to “Campaign”