Single stabiliser

Serious discussion of cycling issues
Mister Paul

Postby Mister Paul » Thu Jun 14, 2007 07:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigBren</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Who has known a child take a much longer time to learn because they had stabilisers on their bike? I haven't.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have actually - we had a torrid time getting my son to ride a 'proper' bike,<b> after leaving him relying on stabilisers for far too long</b>. Everything about riding a real bike frustrated and frightened him, and it all seemed like far too much effort in comparison to tootling around on stabilisers.

Our LBS explained to us the method that Cunobelin outlined earlier in this thread, and we had it all turned around in a couple of weeks. It was quite amazing to see - he loves cycling now and is about to join our local junior triathlon club, so a vote for the Ballantine method here.

Bren
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

(my bold) And that was my point. No-one is ever going to learn to balance by being left on stabilisers. But they do have their uses. And switching between 2- and 4-wheels when the child is learning really doesn't cause any problems.

Return to “Campaign”