Ebay Rippoff Merchants

Serious discussion of cycling issues
alfablue

Postby alfablue » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:17 am

OffTheBackAdam wrote:Many, if not all traders will take orders for items not in stock, even a large shop can't keep everything in stock, they might get a sudden run on an item.

With eBay listings they refer to actual items, either singly, or a specified number - the presumption is that the vendor has them to sell.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:18 am

Don't get me started on Ebay.............faceless shower of Ba******s

ricadus

Postby ricadus » Wed Oct 03, 2007 19:15 pm

Use Paypal and check that its Buyer Protection option is offered (shown in the table of payment options in the item's listing page). Buyer Protection guarantees items up to a value of £500.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Wed Oct 03, 2007 20:31 pm

ricadus wrote:Use Paypal and check that its Buyer Protection option is offered (shown in the table of payment options in the item's listing page). Buyer Protection guarantees items up to a value of £500.
yes, though it excludes postage - I have been stung!

OffTheBackAdam

Postby OffTheBackAdam » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:27 am

Although I'm usually against "Threadomancy" the raising of old, dead topics from their graves, I've got to add to this one.
I ordered from "Bikeontime" a pair of bar ends.
I pay through Paypal and await.
Now, the Royal Snail's poor, overworked & underpaid souls decide to strike, so I expect that my item will take a tad longer to reach me.
I wait, several weeks and nothing, so I contact the vendor via the eBay "Ask seller a question" link. I get no reply. I then e-mail via the hotmail contact given as the Paypal payment contact, no reply. I start a Paypal item not received complaint, no response, I leave negative feedback and escalate to Paypal dispute, no response but yesterday I do get my refund from Paypal who've found in my favour.
Additionally, the cheeky gits send me a spam e-mail thanking me for being a customer and would like anything else! Did they get a reply to that or what? Needless to say, I got no reply to my reply.
So, you either get your goods or you get nowt.
Looking at their feedback currently http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=bikeontime&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&seeallfeedback=See%20All%20Feedback it's much the same, complete satisfaction or complete disatisfaction with no response to complaints and money back via Paypal.
I'll now try the other monkies mentioned in this thread & see what happens there

flattythehurdler

Postby flattythehurdler » Tue Nov 13, 2007 15:48 pm

My problem is not so much the feedback left for him, as the filth he writes about other people. I wouldn't use him.

Plug1n

Postby Plug1n » Sat Nov 17, 2007 09:28 am

We should start a sticky list of problem ebay bike sellers

My own contribution: Banana_brain in the US.

- Ordered some 1980's shimano brake hoods
- Took a month to receive some 1950s Mavic half-hoods
- Seller did not respond to emails or phone calls
- Paypal found in my favour but wanted me to pay to "return with tracking" the goods which would have cost as much as the original purchase
- The only way to communicate with PayPal was the online return receipt form which I filled out as "you must be kidding...."
- The paypal automated system emails me to say I will get a full refund in 5 days

I have a rule that I only buy on ebay when I don't mind losing the money, so the £10 here is not going to hurt either way

ademort

There is always one.

Postby ademort » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:26 am

I cannot say one word for or against Dave Hinde, as i have never purchased anything from him , although comments from many members do tend to be very negative. As regards ebay thats a different ball game.Anybody can join ebay (18+) and when we join we expect all fellow members to be honest, and to abide by and adhere to all the terms and conditions that are laid down by ebay, this is where the problem begins. Unfortunately not all members are honest Advertising goods which are not in stock or that are no longer available is not what ebay is about IMO,and the more people who complain about this type of selling the better.I too have been ripped off by ebay. On two occasions i bought an item and never received it, went through all the usual complaint procedures and got nowhere, so left negative feedback for the two sellers, they then left negative feedback for me , something that really pisses me off, As a result my feedback is no longer 100%, and i am out of pocket.Ebay is a great market place imo but there is room for improvement.

mr pumpy

Postby mr pumpy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 15:45 pm

I'm afraid all mags rely on subsidy from advertising revenue, which is why their product reviews are often hideously skewed.

Hinde pays for a big advert in cycling weekly and in return they don't publish any letters bad-mouthing him, and make sure his bikes get a good write up...occasionally with a special feature.

C+ carries multi page adverts from Ribble...and, ahem... guess which bike came out tops in this months mag test. Interesting also to note where the Ribble ad page (or one of them) appears.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 16:28 pm

mr pumpy wrote:I'm afraid all mags rely on subsidy from advertising revenue, which is why their product reviews are often hideously skewed.

Hinde pays for a big advert in cycling weekly and in return they don't publish any letters bad-mouthing him, and make sure his bikes get a good write up...occasionally with a special feature.

C+ carries multi page adverts from Ribble...and, ahem... guess which bike came out tops in this months mag test. Interesting also to note where the Ribble ad page (or one of them) appears.

What has this got to do with the scalliwags at Ebay and if you haven't tried the bikes in the test on what basis can you cast aspertions on Ribble and C+ s integrity? I can't vouch for the bike or test in question but having spent a sizeable chunk of money with Ribble over the years, I've always received what I ordered with prompt customer attention at decent prices and place a lot more faith in C+ reviews than other mags - though you still have to keep an open mind with reviews as ulimately it is subjective and people like different things.

mr pumpy

Postby mr pumpy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 16:34 pm

Oh, it's not casting aspertions... it's stating a fact about how magazines help finance themselves. I've got no beef with Ribble... I'm a frequent customer and ex-owner of a Ribble bike, but I am not naieve enough to think that there aren't strings attached to their adverts.

As for Ebay, my post was refering to the posts about CW's adverts and Hinde....maybe I should have included a quote so as not to confuse you.

redddraggon

Postby redddraggon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:08 pm

alfablue wrote:Just 5 minutes Googling found this, this, this, and this; I could have dug up more with a little more time, and added to the above ajudication, I don't think they are worthy of our £s.

Oh, and just look at the sort of eBay feedback DH leaves for others, just a few examples:
* LYING SCUM, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, DOESNT PAY + LEAVES NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. NML SFB

* THIS GUY IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED, SUCH A SHAME COS WE HAVE WRECKED YOUR RATING

* NOT TO BE TRUSTED, LYING FILTH. DONT DEAL WITH HIM UNLESS U WANT RIPPING OFF

* LYING SCUM, DO NOT TRUST THIS SCAMMER AS FAR AS YOU COULD THROW HIM (NOT FAR)

* FUNNY THING IS THIS DESTROYS YOUR RATING. YOURS DONT MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Such nice people to do business with!!!!! :shock:

Well Dave Hinde won't be able to do stuff like that now, ebay are changing their rules.

Online auction site eBay has said it plans to overhaul its feedback system and will ban sellers from leaving negative comments about buyers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7228460.stm
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:11 pm

Yes I had mixed feelings about the ebay feedback changes, but that will certainly stop Hinde's nasty game!!!

meagain

Postby meagain » Wed Feb 06, 2008 19:54 pm

Quote:
* LYING SCUM, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, DOESNT PAY + LEAVES NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. NML SFB

* THIS GUY IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED, SUCH A SHAME COS WE HAVE WRECKED YOUR RATING

* NOT TO BE TRUSTED, LYING FILTH. DONT DEAL WITH HIM UNLESS U WANT RIPPING OFF

* LYING SCUM, DO NOT TRUST THIS SCAMMER AS FAR AS YOU COULD THROW HIM (NOT FAR)

* FUNNY THING IS THIS DESTROYS YOUR RATING. YOURS DONT MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

What nice folk cyclists must be! Try leaving stuff like that about some of the PTW boys and you'd be best advised to avoid dark alleys. Seems right to me.
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Gavin Gilbert

Postby Gavin Gilbert » Mon Apr 21, 2008 18:13 pm

Ho Hum, just semi-risked* my own feedback telling the world about my experiences with this idiot.

At his prices I was expecting a Ryanair level of customer service, but not the total shag-around I've had to put up with. I suspect the pillock with half-a-brain-cell that runs his mail order operation can only cope with single item orders, hence the 99% happy camper rating he has managed to aquire.

I just thank God that I have a degree of protection via eBay for the £380 of mine I paid for goods that never arrived.

on edit:

Well, got the £380 Dave Hinde SRE stole from me back, but 5 strikes against my feedback rating. DH SRE accusing me of 'lies', sending 'abuse', 'giving dodgy delivery details' , being a 'slow payer' and 'trying to get free stuff'. All not true, and the slower payer bit disproveable through ebays own invoice system (invoiced and paid the same day!)

The funny thing is that James at Hindes was quick to NF me after I told the world what I thought about the unprofessional service I had experienced, but didn't bother to lodge a defence against my PayPal disput.

It's not over yet. There will be letters on Solicitors headed note paper. But gentle readers, one of the NF comments I put was a suggestion to Google this topic. So keep 'em coming.
"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights"
Muhammad Ali

TabascoKid

It's true!

Postby TabascoKid » Thu May 01, 2008 19:52 pm

I can confirm that this guy James at Dave Hinde is worth completely avoiding, he has got to be the worst person that I have ever bought from, or dealt with... actually, in any situation I can think of (and i used to teach excluded kids).

I am about to start an Ebay dispute, mainly on principle. But I'm not sure whether to leave negative feedback as I think my refund will take some time if i do. All I can say is that I paid for the item, it wasn't as described, he said to send it back, which I did and I waited for the promised refund. Apparently he didn't get my emails through paypal requesting money (4 requests) but that's hard to believe given his already very rude and inaccurate description to me of what he has and hasn't said. He also tends to ignore hotmail emails and only reply to those through the item description. What I might do is just add my bad experiences to forums etc and spread the word.

There are other things to do, like signing them up for various spam newsletters etc (like the ASA e-newsletter, eh?), but i guess that's illegal - hmm, anyone?

meagain

Postby meagain » Thu May 01, 2008 20:40 pm

I assume folk have involved Trading Standards? They can be laborious and slow but they are also IME tenacious. They just keep on amassing evidence. Apart from anything else I rather assume that DH in breach of distance selling regs - and they rest in LEGISLATION AFAIK. And legislation enforcement of which is vested in Trading Standards Departments.
d.j.

"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Gavin Gilbert

Postby Gavin Gilbert » Thu May 01, 2008 21:45 pm

meagain wrote:I assume folk have involved Trading Standards? They can be laborious and slow but they are also IME tenacious. They just keep on amassing evidence. Apart from anything else I rather assume that DH in breach of distance selling regs - and they rest in LEGISLATION AFAIK. And legislation enforcement of which is vested in Trading Standards Departments.

My understanding of distance selling regulations are that goods must be supplied within 21 of payment; I threw my toys out of the pram after 10 (and an additonal 7 days previous to that from order due to DH arsing about with a slow invoice). Ergo I doubt Trading Standards would be interested.

I am very aware of the Added Value eBay afforded me with this problem. Had I purchased via the traditional mail order route (and DH still has double page spreads in Cycling Weekly) then I would have been on my own. A battle if I had paid using a credit card, and only a slim chance to recover via the small claims court (a real fag and not worth it for £380).
"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights"

Muhammad Ali

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Fri May 02, 2008 08:49 am

meagain wrote:I assume folk have involved Trading Standards? They can be laborious and slow but they are also IME tenacious. They just keep on amassing evidence. Apart from anything else I rather assume that DH in breach of distance selling regs - and they rest in LEGISLATION AFAIK. And legislation enforcement of which is vested in Trading Standards Departments.

Yes I tried to involve trading standards in my dispute with DH/No1 Bike Bits - a complete waste of time. In fact "James" laughed when I told him if he continued to refuse to send me either the goods I'd paid for or a refund I'd have to contact trading standards because he said they were completely powerless - and it's the one thing he telling the truth about. In the end I got my money back through a successful ebay fraud claim. However despite finding in my favour ebay refused to remove their feedback that I was "lying scum" !

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Fri May 02, 2008 08:53 am

Just to add my situation was as Tabasaco Kid's - paid for item - when it eventually arrived after two supposedly lost parcels it wasn't as ordered. They were quite apologetic and said send it back - at my expense though - which I did. After that I didn't get a refund or a replacement.

Return to “Campaign”