Too many riders getting hit / killed by drivers.

Serious discussion of cycling issues
User avatar
Karl2010
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 14:19 pm

Too many riders getting hit / killed by drivers.

Postby Karl2010 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 19:18 pm

This is probaly a common thread but, what can be done about this?

Id suggest changing the way people are taught to drive and also the final examination.
An extra test to prove new drivers understand, appreciate & respect cyclists on the road.

Also a 12 month driving campain via TV & Radio, to raise awareness.

The "THINK BIKE" campaign seems so week and is mainly aimed at motor cycles.

User avatar
Heckler1974
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 09:22 am

Postby Heckler1974 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 09:23 am

Best of luck with this, when you see drivers under instruction pulling into the ASL and passing so close as they pass I could smell the instructor's aftershave I really don't see how extra lessons will make a difference.

User avatar
Karl2010
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 14:19 pm

Postby Karl2010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:28 am

Not extra lessons! Better teaching! Drive the point home about cyclists (over taking speeds, distances, abuse etc..)

A stronger Media drive would be better. TV,Radio, Newspapers, Magazines

User avatar
Bunneh
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 16:55 pm

Postby Bunneh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:53 am

Completely off the top of my head, haven't thought this through but;

Every road in the UK (which would be so overly priced so it wouldn't happen) would be fitted with a small device which spreads across the road at the start and the end. Each car has a mandatory device fitted which reads these strips and the strip tells the car how fast it can go.

So for a built up area the car would enter and would immediately have its speed reduced to say 20mph, soon as you hit a motorway the strips on the road would tell the car it can go over 80mph. Similar strips for built up areas, people in the town/city could vote on how fast they want cars going in their area.

Yes I know it won't work, and yes I know it'd be expensive and yes I know it's a daft idea.

Incidently I nearly got knocked off my bike last night by my window cleaner, shame he didn't clip me, I could have had free window cleaning for life!

User avatar
Chrissz
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 19:29 pm
Contact:

Postby Chrissz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 14:42 pm

Speed cameras, strips GPS tracking - whatever. None of these will stop left hookers, SMIDSYs, squeezes & close passes - merely (perhaps) slow them down slightly.

volvicspar
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 19:40 pm

Postby volvicspar » Sat Jun 05, 2010 17:27 pm

New drivers aren't the problem. It gets rattled out over and over that we need better testing and what not. We don't, in my opinion.

The problem is what happens after the test and a lack of policing. Compulsory retesting every 2 years would be a better option.

Tom Butcher
Posts: 7046
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 22:07 pm

Postby Tom Butcher » Sat Jun 05, 2010 20:10 pm

More of an emphasis on giving cyclists room when overtaking them would be welcome. Is there a minimum distance - I don't know - but something like don't pass within 2 metres of a cyclist when overtaking would be welcome - just something to make vehicles wait until there is room to overtake rather than forcing their way past whatever.
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

User avatar
Heckler1974
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 09:22 am

Postby Heckler1974 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 am

Tom Butcher wrote:More of an emphasis on giving cyclists room when overtaking them would be welcome. Is there a minimum distance - I don't know - but something like don't pass within 2 metres of a cyclist when overtaking would be welcome - just something to make vehicles wait until there is room to overtake rather than forcing their way past whatever.


According to the Highway code rule 163 : •give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car.

cedargreen
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 09:39 am

Postby cedargreen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:03 am

The driving test is still mainly about driving and doesn't include enough about vulnerable road users, including cyclists. It should stress the right of cyclists/ pedestrians/ horses etc to be on the road which is a public highway despite now being dominated by cars. A compulsory cycling session as part of learning to drive would help. And policing the roads properly instead of just using speed cameras might adress poor driving standards.

spen666
Posts: 17444
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 20:03 pm
Contact:

Postby spen666 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 14:32 pm

cedargreen wrote:The driving test is still mainly about driving .;...


The clue is in the title !!!


Its a bit like complaining that your maths exam is about maths or your history exam dwelt too much on past events
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

bryanm
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 19:10 pm

Postby bryanm » Wed Jun 09, 2010 23:22 pm

Based upon several instances this week, the first step should be stop learners from driving cars without qualified driving instructors. Although having followed home a learner in a driving school car today, who drove at less than 20mph through a 30 zone for about 2 miles I'm not sure that's the answer either!

User avatar
markos1963
Posts: 3729
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 20:42 pm

Postby markos1963 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 18:50 pm

Its an attitude/cultural thing in this country. Here we see a rule and a fair proportion of us ignore it or flout it, speeding, traffic lights, level crossings etc In Germany the culture is to obey rules so less problems with minor law breaking. How do we change it, I don't really know, it could take generations before we see anything. In fact I think that cyclists will only be taken seriously when all the petrol has run out and motorist haul themselves out of their cages and cough and wheeze their way onto a bike.

User avatar
dennisn
Posts: 10104
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 20:46 pm

Postby dennisn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 19:03 pm

Well, it's not much but I've ALWAYS tried to get eye contact with drivers I'm in traffic with.
I think it makes both them and I more alert to try and prevent ANY bad situation from happening. Neither driver nor cyclist really wants anything to happen other than each going on their way.

Stevie2wheels
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 14:07 pm

Postby Stevie2wheels » Fri Jun 18, 2010 21:33 pm

I am seriously thinking about have my blood group displayed on the back a cycling jersey with the words beneath reading "Just In Case" Such is the state of British drivers. Everytime I go out I have at least 10 near misses! On the whole Britsh drivers don't give a fck!

Stevie.

kitsunegari
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:52 am

Postby kitsunegari » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 am

Drivers in Cambridge are an odd bunch. Given that it is such a cycling town, one would think they would have some respect for us. I get passed so close on my cycle to work so many times I've gotten slowly used to it now.

More driving lessons is not the answer. You cannot teach manners.

User avatar
Angry Bird
Posts: 3481
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 09:31 am

Postby Angry Bird » Thu Jul 15, 2010 07:09 am

In my driving lessons i was always taught to pass a cyclist 2m to the side to give them enough room, and i always do, although i think that's partly because I was riding bikes before i was driving and understood having space between me and the car.

I volunteer at a disabled riding school, and in the summer we take the ride down the lanes by the school, now obviously we encounter cars, cyclists, occasional lorry, i'd say 10% of them don't slow down at all and go roaring past... its all very well not wanting to be held up, but spooking a horse like that is plain dangerous and has caused an accident before now. Thankfully the other 90% seem to be decent, sensible drivers. But its not just cyclists who don't get treated well on roads

I found these the other day, was considering getting one but couldn't justify the shipping charges :roll: http://www.sharethedamnroad.com/

User avatar
iainment
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 14:01 pm

Postby iainment » Thu Jul 15, 2010 14:33 pm

ouchthathurts wrote:In my driving lessons i was always taught to pass a cyclist 2m to the side to give them enough room, and i always do, although i think that's partly because I was riding bikes before i was driving and understood having space between me and the car.

I volunteer at a disabled riding school, and in the summer we take the ride down the lanes by the school, now obviously we encounter cars, cyclists, occasional lorry, i'd say 10% of them don't slow down at all and go roaring past... its all very well not wanting to be held up, but spooking a horse like that is plain dangerous and has caused an accident before now. Thankfully the other 90% seem to be decent, sensible drivers. But its not just cyclists who don't get treated well on roads

I found these the other day, was considering getting one but couldn't justify the shipping charges :roll: http://www.sharethedamnroad.com/


I remember driving on a rural road in Cambs about 20 years ago and passing a horse and rider.Looked in the mirror a little way down the road to see the horse out of control. I hadn't slowed down in passing, although I gave a wide berth. I didn't know that horses did that. The only horses I'd seen before were in London and used to traffic.
So something specific about animals in the Driving Test would be good. Or horses shouldn't be on the road unless there rider can guarantee their behaviour. Not sure which really.
Tally ho and pip pip.
Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
Joseph Gallivan

User avatar
Angry Bird
Posts: 3481
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 09:31 am

Postby Angry Bird » Thu Jul 15, 2010 14:39 pm

iainment

The problem is the real lack of bridleways in many areas of the country, we've got two riding schools literally next door to eachother, they've been there for years yet if you want to get out of the schools the roads are the only options, and the temperatures in the schools get stupid in summer. Fortunately for our disabled riders we have a leader with each horse too just incase something goes wrong, but when a horse starts to throw its weight around people get hurt:roll:

spen666
Posts: 17444
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 20:03 pm
Contact:

Postby spen666 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 15:12 pm

iainment wrote:
ouchthathurts wrote:In my driving lessons i was always taught to pass a cyclist 2m to the side to give them enough room, and i always do, although i think that's partly because I was riding bikes before i was driving and understood having space between me and the car.

I volunteer at a disabled riding school, and in the summer we take the ride down the lanes by the school, now obviously we encounter cars, cyclists, occasional lorry, i'd say 10% of them don't slow down at all and go roaring past... its all very well not wanting to be held up, but spooking a horse like that is plain dangerous and has caused an accident before now. Thankfully the other 90% seem to be decent, sensible drivers. But its not just cyclists who don't get treated well on roads

I found these the other day, was considering getting one but couldn't justify the shipping charges :roll: http://www.sharethedamnroad.com/


I remember driving on a rural road in Cambs about 20 years ago and passing a horse and rider.Looked in the mirror a little way down the road to see the horse out of control. I hadn't slowed down in passing, although I gave a wide berth. I didn't know that horses did that. The only horses I'd seen before were in London and used to traffic.
So something specific about animals in the Driving Test would be good. Or horses shouldn't be on the road unless there rider can guarantee their behaviour. Not sure which really.
Tally ho and pip pip.


How about motor vehicles should not be on the road unless drivers can guarantee their behaviour?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

User avatar
iainment
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 14:01 pm

Postby iainment » Thu Jul 15, 2010 15:34 pm

spen666 wrote:
iainment wrote:
ouchthathurts wrote:In my driving lessons i was always taught to pass a cyclist 2m to the side to give them enough room, and i always do, although i think that's partly because I was riding bikes before i was driving and understood having space between me and the car.

I volunteer at a disabled riding school, and in the summer we take the ride down the lanes by the school, now obviously we encounter cars, cyclists, occasional lorry, i'd say 10% of them don't slow down at all and go roaring past... its all very well not wanting to be held up, but spooking a horse like that is plain dangerous and has caused an accident before now. Thankfully the other 90% seem to be decent, sensible drivers. But its not just cyclists who don't get treated well on roads

I found these the other day, was considering getting one but couldn't justify the shipping charges :roll: http://www.sharethedamnroad.com/


I remember driving on a rural road in Cambs about 20 years ago and passing a horse and rider.Looked in the mirror a little way down the road to see the horse out of control. I hadn't slowed down in passing, although I gave a wide berth. I didn't know that horses did that. The only horses I'd seen before were in London and used to traffic.
So something specific about animals in the Driving Test would be good. Or horses shouldn't be on the road unless there rider can guarantee their behaviour. Not sure which really.
Tally ho and pip pip.


How about motor vehicles should not be on the road unless drivers can guarantee their behaviour?


Of course, the point I was making though was to add animal awareness into driver training. So that there are less chances of learning by mistake.
Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.

Joseph Gallivan


Return to “Campaign”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest