Should cyclists legally wear a helmet ?

Serious discussion of cycling issues
bompington

Re: Should cyclists legally wear a helmet ?

Postby bompington » Wed May 08, 2013 09:02 am

Chebrikov wrote:Motorists should wear helmets they do in motor racing. Pedestrians crossing roads should wear helmets. Rugby players should wear helmets, something needs to be done about these head injuries. Footballers should wear helmets, they are always falling over and banging their heads. Children should wear helmets when they play outside because they often fall over.

As for me though, I don't wear a helmet. I will not take part in any event which requires me to wear one. If they are made compulsory I will stop cycling.

You might need a nose guard though, you're in danger of cutting it off...

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Wed May 08, 2013 09:16 am

My opinion is quite simple - let the individual decide, but accept the consequences.
- People should wear a helmet in my opinion, but I wouldn't want the law to dictate it
- By the same logic, I don't see why it should be law that you have to wear a seat belt (may be for Children as they aren't old enough to make a sensible choice, so like in Sweden compulsory up to the age of 15)
- Let people take whatever drugs they like, and kill themselves.

Too many laws are made these days removing responsiblity from individuals for the actions they take.

Want to not wear a helmet and become a vegatable? You decide.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

chuckla

Postby chuckla » Thu May 09, 2013 22:51 pm

I've fallen and hit my head on he ground, Tarmac and concrete, I've hit my head playing rugby!all these things hurt, particularly concrete! I've also fallen off my mtb, not been n fortunate enough to fall off the road bike yet!
Coming off the bid was at a fast section towards the bottom of the single track at Cwmcarn!

It hurt, ifididnt have a helmet on, it would ate hurt more, possibly including blood and concussion, or worse
!

I rather some protection than no protection! Helmets are a must for me!

Teddy Westside

Postby Teddy Westside » Mon May 20, 2013 16:56 pm

bompington wrote:
Chebrikov wrote:Motorists should wear helmets they do in motor racing. Pedestrians crossing roads should wear helmets. Rugby players should wear helmets, something needs to be done about these head injuries. Footballers should wear helmets, they are always falling over and banging their heads. Children should wear helmets when they play outside because they often fall over.

As for me though, I don't wear a helmet. I will not take part in any event which requires me to wear one. If they are made compulsory I will stop cycling.

If we had a "thumb up" option to rate posts, I'd find a way to hack the system to give that at least 10 positives! :lol:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)

VTech

Postby VTech » Mon May 20, 2013 17:38 pm

Teddy Westside wrote:
bompington wrote:

If we had a "thumb up" option to rate posts, I'd find a way to hack the system to give that at least 10 positives! :lol:

I could say the same but with thumbs down because that was one of the stupidest comments ive read here. (obviously about the initial daft post about not cycling)
"IF" someone truly loved cycling they would not stop because of a safety regulation. It wasnt so long ago that we had drivers dying because if the lack of safety in motor racing and now it is a rarity *thankfully*.

I actually worry about what would happen if I came of my bike at 50kph onto the road, I know my arms would be ripped apart but I can grow them back but from biology class at school they were adamant that heads do not grow back !
Living MY dream.

Teddy Westside

Postby Teddy Westside » Mon May 20, 2013 18:27 pm

VTech wrote:
Teddy Westside wrote:
bompington wrote:
Chebrikov wrote:As for me though, I don't wear a helmet. I will not take part in any event which requires me to wear one. If they are made compulsory I will stop cycling.

I could say the same but with thumbs down because that was one of the stupidest comments ive read here. (obviously about the initial daft post about not cycling)
At least we agree then! :wink: As I started to read your post I thought you were slating the replies from bompington and I. :D Naturally, I was referring to bompington's post as I can see you understood.

To stop cycling because you have to wear a helmet is throwing the toys out of the pram - the same sort of response if someone said they would stop driving when seatbelt-wearing became compulsory. Honestly! :roll:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Focus Cayo Expert (road)

Giant ATX 970 (full susp)

Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)

Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)

VTech

Postby VTech » Mon May 20, 2013 19:01 pm

What gets me is why would anyone not want to be safe ?
I can understand it if your riddled with guilt over murdering your entire family whilst high on crack but as a rule most people do have at least 1 thing to live for so why shorten the odds of making it too tomorrow ? :)
Living MY dream.

slowsider

Postby slowsider » Mon May 20, 2013 19:19 pm

A helmet is surely only designed to absorb the impact sustained if you topple off your bike, not a fall at high speed or getting hit by a car. It's made of polystyrene, like the packing around your washing machine. You wouldn't expect the washing machine to survive being thrown down the stairs because it had some polystyrene at the corners. Why expect a helmet to do much more ?

VTech

Postby VTech » Mon May 20, 2013 19:25 pm

Dont take this the wrong way but that mentality is the difference between going to a football match and being a player.
I dont look for what-ifs as there will always be loads of them, I just try and limit the what-ifs, thereby giving me the best chance. Trust me, it works in the main.
Living MY dream.

slowsider

Postby slowsider » Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 pm

In terms of 'mentality', thinking that wearing a helmet makes you 'safe' is right up there. Have a look at Risk Homeostasis and see what humans do when they consider themselves safe.

exlaser

Postby exlaser » Tue May 21, 2013 12:12 pm

should you wear a helmet most of the time. yes
should it be compulsory. no.

could give loads of good reasons, but i am sure it wont change anyones mind.
life is too short to try :)
Van Nicholas Ventus
Giant OCR 0

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 am

Another pointless thread! I want to illegally wear a helmet - is that safer than legally wearing one?????

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Fri May 24, 2013 16:26 pm

F*ck me, this again :roll:

Wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet. Make your choice, don't try to impose your opinion on others, and stop p*ssing and whining when others chose to do the opposite to you.

You can find stats on the internet to support any argument.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

VTech

Postby VTech » Fri May 24, 2013 17:05 pm

MattC59 wrote:F*ck me, this again :roll:

Wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet. Make your choice, don't try to impose your opinion on others, and stop p*ssing and whining when others chose to do the opposite to you.

Read what ive written and you will see that I have not, nor would I ever force my opinion. I find it stupid to ride on the road without a helmet but I wouldnt make anyone do it. Im also not p*ssing and whining as others dont agree with me, do you honestly think I give a rats backside what people like you think ? I have simply said that I find it stupid that people wouldnt want to be safer thats all.

BTW, im yet to find proof of anyone dying due to wearing a helmet on a road bike but there are the odd one or two where someone had died by hitting their head on the floor (not you of course as its full of rocks) :wink:

Anyway, im off for a ride, its down to 36 degrees right now with a slight wind so im going to get that helmet on and cycle my legs away into the dessert........

Dont worry though, like Arnie, ill be back :mrgreen:
Living MY dream.

ooermissus

Postby ooermissus » Fri May 24, 2013 18:27 pm

Vtech wrote:im going to get that helmet on and cycle my legs away into the dessert

LOL. Blancmange?

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Fri May 24, 2013 18:50 pm

VTech wrote:
MattC59 wrote:F*ck me, this again :roll:

Read what ive written and you will see that I have not, nor would I ever force my opinion. I find it stupid to ride on the road without a helmet but I wouldnt make anyone do it. Im also not p*ssing and whining as others dont agree with me, do you honestly think I give a rats backside what people like you think ? I have simply said that I find it stupid that people wouldnt want to be safer thats all.

BTW, im yet to find proof of anyone dying due to wearing a helmet on a road bike but there are the odd one or two where someone had died by hitting their head on the floor (not you of course as its full of rocks) :wink:

Anyway, im off for a ride, its down to 36 degrees right now with a slight wind so im going to get that helmet on and cycle my legs away into the dessert........

Dont worry though, like Arnie, ill be back :mrgreen:

And once again you assume that this was directed at you. If it was, I'd have quoted you. It was directed at the subject matter and anyone reading the topic. Stop being so f*cking sensitive :roll:
Exactly what is someone like me ?
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.

Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

pete_s

Postby pete_s » Mon May 27, 2013 17:25 pm

Lets make our environment safer so we wont need to wear helmets. Why are the Dutch not wearing them? Those guys cycle loads, are experts at riding in groups and yet I never see them wearing them in videos and pictures.

essjaydee

Postby essjaydee » Mon May 27, 2013 18:10 pm

You mean, make wearing a helmet whilst riding a bicycle compulsory.....No.
Police resourcing is diabolical at present, so it wouldn't be effective anyway!

I wonder if more would wear a helmet, if they had to cover the medical costs of any head injuries incurred, if cycling without wearing one and they were involved in an accident?

Just a thought....

spen666

Postby spen666 » Wed May 29, 2013 09:19 am

essjaydee wrote:You mean, make wearing a helmet whilst riding a bicycle compulsory.....No.
Police resourcing is diabolical at present, so it wouldn't be effective anyway!

I wonder if more would wear a helmet, if they had to cover the medical costs of any head injuries incurred, if cycling without wearing one and they were involved in an accident?

Just a thought....

I think you need to engage brain cells to call it a thought, and you clearly have not done so.

What next? make heart attack victims pay for their medical treatment on basis that their lifestyle contributed to heart attack?

how about making RTA victims pay for treatment, I mean if they had not been on road/ pavement etc they would have not had accident?

A stupid suggestion and clearly one without thought as to the consequences
Last edited by spen666 on Wed May 29, 2013 16:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

steve6690

Postby steve6690 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:37 am

You can't withdraw medical treatment for people who weren't wearing a helmet. How are you going to make someone pay if they can't afford it ? Take their house ? If you start down that road then where does it end ? Lots of people engage in sporting activities that carry more risk than sitting at home getting fat on cheese and watching tv. Some end up getting injured and needing treatment. I go scuba diving to deeper than average depths racking up a lot of decompression stops. If I get it wrong I could end up getting helicoptered to a recompression chamber - total costs could be around £20k to the NHS. Should I have to pay too ? People go climbing, hang gliding, play rugby/football etc etc. Where do you draw the line ? The NHS is there to treat us, not tell us how to conduct our chosen leisure activities.
It would make more sense to target illnesses resulting from obesity, smoking and boozing. These cost the NHS an absolute fortune every year but you just can't do it.
Plus, mandatory wearing of helmets is completely unenforceable. People simply wouldn't do it and most would just refuse to stop for the police.
One thing to note though, if you do sustain a head injury from a road traffic collision, you will probably find that the motorists insurance company will try to reduce what they pay you because you weren't wearing a helmet.

Return to “Campaign”