Helmets don't make you safer !

Serious discussion of cycling issues
G-Tech

Helmets don't make you safer !

Postby G-Tech » Mon May 20, 2013 19:59 pm

Drivers tend to take less care when faced with a cyclist wearing a helmet. They give more room to those who do without. Plus if you're unlucky enough to be involved in a high spleen collision a helmet won't prevent a significant brain injury.

16mm

Re: Helmets don't make you safer !

Postby 16mm » Mon May 20, 2013 20:04 pm

nice first post.

thistle (MBNW)

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Mon May 20, 2013 20:05 pm

My high spleen is always having collisions :mrgreen:

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Mon May 20, 2013 20:09 pm

This shoot made the front page wtf

seanoconn

Postby seanoconn » Mon May 20, 2013 20:16 pm

Arrrrrrrrg! It's a Tech invasion!! Run for your lives!!
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 am

Completely agree, no 'safer' whatsoever! Saw a survey that said wearing a blonde wig was better and wobbling occasionally. Apparently drivers saw woman wobbling as much more vulnerable - not sure how they would respond if I wore my spleen on my head though.....

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Fri May 24, 2013 16:16 pm

The only inclusion that I can make from this thread, is that the OP is a moron.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

rpherts

Postby rpherts » Wed Jun 12, 2013 13:15 pm

Risk compensation, both by the cyclist and driver. It is an incredibly complex area and way, way too complicated for our current political system, where a single issue group campaigns noisily in "four legs good, two legs bad" mode, our press report it without analysis or criticism and thick politicians thunder "something must be done!".

What about wearing a blonde wig on top of the helmet? Best of both worlds.

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Jun 12, 2013 13:54 pm

Oh here we go, yet another helmet debate thread. Well, I guess it must be a few weeks since the last one fizzled out.
Oh, hang on, a new poster? With a name remarkably similar to a forumite well known for, errr, contentious and not always very well thought out posts? Choosing one of the most clichéd and contentious topics?
I suspect if they check the IP it'll look a bit close to one of the usual BB/ cake stop suspects, perhaps a fan of one Alexander Vinokourov?
You'll have to try harder.

Or the really worrying possibility is that I'm wrong....

rpherts

Postby rpherts » Wed Jun 12, 2013 14:17 pm

bompington wrote:Oh here we go, yet another helmet debate thread. Well, I guess it must be a few weeks since the last one fizzled out.
Oh, hang on, a new poster? With a name remarkably similar to a forumite well known for, errr, contentious and not always very well thought out posts? Choosing one of the most clichéd and contentious topics?
I suspect if they check the IP it'll look a bit close to one of the usual BB/ cake stop suspects, perhaps a fan of one Alexander Vinokourov?

You are wrong. I joined a week or two ago and have no idea who you are talking about. I'd suggest that your post was wildly more contentious than mine.

By all means check my IP address though.

edhornby

Postby edhornby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 16:08 pm

funnily enough, there is a BMJ paper on helmet provision doing the rounds, written by Ben Goldacre (a cyclist and author of Bad Science column in the grauniad) which is a really good analysis of the pro/anti helmet debate and whether to legislate or not
"I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
--Jens Voight

seanoconn

Postby seanoconn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 16:58 pm

rpherts wrote:
bompington wrote:Oh here we go, yet another helmet debate thread. Well, I guess it must be a few weeks since the last one fizzled out.

You are wrong. I joined a week or two ago and have no idea who you are talking about. I'd suggest that your post was wildly more contentious than mine.

By all means check my IP address though.

bompington was referring to the OP (original post) G-tech. Whose similarity to another notorious forum member had already been noticed by a very clever and handsome forum member. :wink:
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

bompington

Postby bompington » Thu Jun 13, 2013 05:36 am

seanoconn wrote:bompington was referring to the OP (original post) G-tech. Whose similarity to another notorious forum member had already been noticed by a very clever and handsome forum member. :wink:

Yeah, fair enough. I just realised your comment referenced it too ;-)

TheSmithers

Postby TheSmithers » Fri Jun 21, 2013 14:56 pm

A helmet could save your life. FACT!

G-Tech wrote:Drivers tend to take less care when faced with a cyclist wearing a helmet. They give more room to those who do without.

On what do you base that? What evidence do you have to back that up? I cycle in London everyday, and I can tell you I'll be keeping my helmet firmly on. Furthermore, I don't think bus or taxi drivers here (or anywhere for that matter) discriminate against cyclists wearing helmets to those that don't.

G-Tech wrote:Plus if you're unlucky enough to be involved in a high spleen collision a helmet won't prevent a significant brain injury.

If I were involved in a high "spleen" collision, I'd still prefer my odds of survival, however small, wearing a helmet.

What a pointless post :roll:

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:30 pm

TheSmithers wrote:A helmet could save your life. FACT!

So could a lifejacket ....

izza

Postby izza » Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:42 pm

Slowbike wrote:

Yes but if you and your bike are hit from the side or rear you probably won't have time to pull the cord to inflate your life jacket before impact with bonnet or ground.
Last edited by izza on Fri Jun 21, 2013 16:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 16:07 pm

Simple attach the rip cord to you cross bar and it will inflate every time you fall off your bike. Think we are on to something here :)

I am going to ask for legislation to be passed that make the wearing of a life jacket compulsory if you ride a bike - and just in case it fails that you wear a rubber ring as a fail safe - oohh and flippers to stop you feet slipping off the pedals in the wet (people with clipless pedals and cleats will of course be exempt from the flippers but they should wear arm bands to protect them from comedy dismounts).

izza

Postby izza » Fri Jun 21, 2013 16:17 pm

jonomc4 wrote:Simple attach the rip cord to you cross bar and it will inflate every time you fall off your bike. Think we are on to something here :)

I am going to ask for legislation to be passed that make the wearing of a life jacket compulsory if you ride a bike - and just in case it fails that you wear a rubber ring as a fail safe - oohh and flippers to stop you feet slipping off the pedals in the wet (people with clipless pedals and cleats will of course be exempt from the flippers but they should wear arm bands to protect them from comedy dismounts).

But won't the flippers fail the UCI 3:1 ratio for aero advantage? Let's be honest, if Wiggo's Bonts were rejected I can't see flippers being accepted.

Furthermore, I am worried that these riders who have Di2 could cause sparks when impacting with cars and their fuel tanks. In your leglislation can you ensure you include a mudflap on all Di2 bikes - the mudflap must touch the ground and include an earthing strip.

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 21:07 pm

izza wrote:
jonomc4 wrote:Simple attach the rip cord to you cross bar and it will inflate every time you fall off your bike. Think we are on to something here :)

But won't the flippers fail the UCI 3:1 ratio for aero advantage? Let's be honest, if Wiggo's Bonts were rejected I can't see flippers being accepted.

Furthermore, I am worried that these riders who have Di2 could cause sparks when impacting with cars and their fuel tanks. In your leglislation can you ensure you include a mudflap on all Di2 bikes - the mudflap must touch the ground and include an earthing strip.

Doh! all those professional bikey types in that there TDF have clipless pedals - so no need for flippers - see thought of that! - But grounding for all Di2 bikes makes perfect sense - well thought of. Maybe we should have a man with a red flag walk in front of the TDF leader?

TheSmithers

Postby TheSmithers » Fri Jun 21, 2013 22:19 pm

Slowbike wrote:

Your point being?

Return to “Campaign”