Taking the stabilisers off - tips?

Want to get your kids on two wheels? Got any general 'family biking' questions? Chat here
HJ1976

Postby HJ1976 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 15:23 pm

Darn the fact that I bought a bike that she wasgrowing into- rather than one she would be out of quickly. Last time she was measured friday she was 109cm (at exactly 4.5 years) so se has 14" wheels. Sorry for mixing my measurements. :oops:

Jonathan M

Postby Jonathan M » Mon Aug 27, 2007 17:59 pm

HJ1976 wrote:Well when i was 'moving' into my new bike yesterday i took the pedals and stabilizers off my 4 and a half year olds bike.
I'm not sure if it is because her seat even at it's lowest is a tiny bit too high, or that she is being a bit clingy at the moment but she wanted nothing of it.
I guess I will have to persevere with it. :(

My lad was exactly the same. It took a freind to do the final stages to persuade him to ride. He basically didn't want to ride a bike with no pedals, it just wasn't right.

mtb.boy

Postby mtb.boy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 19:54 pm

My dad took my stabilisers off and instead tied a broom handle to my frame pointing up backwards at about 45degrees- So that he could walk behind me holding the broom and push me without bending down.

After pushing me down a (slight) hill twice he had other ideas (which he did not tell me about). The third time I reached the bottom I looked around and he was still at the top with a big chuffed look on his face. Because I thought he was holdng the broom I thought I could not fall off and I had lots of confidence. So I managed to ride with no help.

This was about 23 years ago.
The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!

missElaineous

Postby missElaineous » Mon Oct 08, 2007 19:20 pm

Thanks for the tips. I have a 7 year old that still can't ride a bike, which is a nuisance because cycling is my 2nd favourite pastime. :) I think the trouble may be because I have been towing her with a gator-bar for so long, she's become too lazy. Will try the 'pedals off' approach this weekend. It makes so much sense when you think about it, can't think why I never thought about it before. Wish us luck.

adamedwardsteather

Postby adamedwardsteather » Mon Oct 08, 2007 20:23 pm

Another vote for the pedals-off technique. If starting out, many manufacturers make these no-pedal bikes. Like-a-bike is probably the best known, but some of the adult bike manufacturers such as Norco are getting in on the act.

Or buy a Puky. Our son is now on to a pedalled bike with no stabalisers aged 5 and I'm sure this is down to the balancing learnt on the Puky. See http://www.puky.net

Adam

feel

Postby feel » Wed Nov 07, 2007 20:35 pm

can definitely recommend the no pedals method, preferably right from the start with the seat very low so both feet can be put on the ground. Start them off on very slight slopes when you want them to get there feet up.
If they are having problems because of previous bad experiences think about putting the bike away for a bit and get them one of those mini scooters. They learn to balance and that is transferable back to the bike when they have regained confidence. Scooters are brilliant at getting kids started who are scared they will fall off.
We are born with the dead:
See, they return, and bring us with them.

chrisjsmith

Postby chrisjsmith » Wed Nov 07, 2007 21:57 pm

I learned (3 months ago at the age of 27) to ride one. I found that doing it on concrete with a mortal fear of busting something badly kept me on it upright and pedalling ;)

I'll try these things out on our 3 year old. It's her 4th birthday on 12th December at which point she'll be receiving a nice bicycle :) Some good suggesions here :)

Positron

Postby Positron » Wed Nov 07, 2007 23:31 pm

Hi - FWIW up to ~5 1/2 our daughter had various options: bike (HAD to be pink) with stabalisers (yes I know I'd heard all the arguements against them), bike with no pedal and scooter. One weekend she asked me to take them off and I thought "okay, this is my weekend of taking her up and down the road for hours". And she was off immediately. Recon one of the biggest things was learning to balance on the scooter.

Dewi1

Postby Dewi1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 08:40 am

Another thing to consider is that as well as balance, small kids struggle to have enough momentum to get going. When I taught mine, I taught them to have the right pedal at about 2 o'clock so that they get a good start before they have to take their left foot off the ground. This really helps.

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:56 am

I think a lot is down to whether the kids' sense of balance is good enough and how naturally confident they are. I let mine cycle with stabilisers and then used the take them off and see if they were ready to ride without method.

My youngest are twins - the girl was riding without stabilisers when she was just over 3 - the boy was 4 and a half. I don't think using stabilisers is a bad idea - no it isn't the same as riding a bike without but it does let them travel some distance using pedal power when they are too young to balance. A decent tricycle would be better but they are not easy to get hold of these days.

As for miniscooters - I think they are harder to use than a bike without stabilisers.

vernon08

great advice

Postby vernon08 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:41 am

Great Advice

I have a 2 year old and I will use the pedals off technique when the time comes

Thanks
Scotlands 7 world class off road trails. Click here 7 Stanes to watch videos, download maps and get an overview of these fantastic Mountain Bike routes in Southern Scotland

Return to “Family & Kids cycling forum”