islabike worth the extra?

Want to get your kids on two wheels? Got any general 'family biking' questions? Chat here
Calpol

Re: islabike worth the extra?

Postby Calpol » Thu Feb 16, 2012 20:29 pm

Just took delivery of a Beinn 20 small for my 5yo daughter. Ordered yesterday lunchtime and it arrived less than 24 hours later :). Ok so its £250 for a kids bike but to be honest the resale means that I expect to get 2 years riding for about £100. So trading up to the next size should only be £100. Very impressed by the bike. Components are quality. Brakes operate so easily for little hands - I think that will give my daughter a lot of confidence. Its pretty light also - she can pick it up and turn it round. First ride will be tomorrow and I can't wait!!. Sadly she probably has a better bike than anyone else in the family now!! Oh and it looks great.

gkerr4

Postby gkerr4 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 20:25 pm

i'm not 100% sure any more.

my eldest daughters first bike was a specialized hotrock 12- when she outgrew it I looked at the Islabike cnoc16 and ended up getting her one, but it was a close thing between it and the specialized hotrok16 and also the ridgeback Melody16. At that time, the difference in price was about £10 - £20 between those three. They were all between £120 - £140 (the isla being £139.99 + delivery)

When she outgrew that, we bought her a beinn20 model which she still has and they are great bikes.

Now my youngest has outgrown the specialized 12 model - and stupidly we have sold the cnoc16 (although in fairness, i wanted the young one to have "her own" bike too - feels a bt unfair if the young one only ever gets the older ones hand-me-downs). anyway - the price gap is massive now. - the islabike cnoc 16 is a whopping £169.00 + delivery while the ridgeback is now available for £110 - quite a gap - they both have aluminium frames and V-brakes with kids sized levers. The crank and other running gear is very similar (cranks are identical actually)

anyway - we have went for the ridgeback and I am proud to say that just today she has ridden it for the first time without stabilisers! (she got it on tuesday for her birthday).
I'm glad I went for the ridgeback - it's a very well specced bike - well built and lovely deep paint - i'm very impressed and with the free delivery I got it for a fairly sizeable £75 cheaper than the islabike.

Don't get me wrong, i think that islabikes are great bikes, but they just seem to have gotten a bit carried away with the prices in recent times. I was shocked to see that the beinn20 is now £265 with delivery!! - wow - it was £169 in december 09 when we bought it!

TimIrons

Postby TimIrons » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 am

I am another who can wholeheartedly vouch for Islabikes. We have had a Cnoc 16 and a Beinn 20 and last weekend upgraded to two new Islabikes further up the size range. I can echo the comments above about them being perfect for learning bike handling skills and more importantly gaining confidence and having fun! They are light enough to react quickly to inputs from weedy little legs. They also stop as quickly as you want due to the small diameter handlebars and grips, coupled with the specially shaped brake levers meaning little hands can get a good grip to pull the powerful v-brakes onto machined metal rims, rather than painted pink ones from other kids bikes.

We have our previous Islabikes for sale on eBay the the moment, a cnoc 16 and a Beinn 20. Search on eBay under my seller name irons2001 or send me a message on here if you are interested.

apreading

Postby apreading » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:15 pm

gkerr4 wrote:Don't get me wrong, i think that islabikes are great bikes, but they just seem to have gotten a bit carried away with the prices in recent times. I was shocked to see that the beinn20 is now £265 with delivery!! - wow - it was £169 in december 09 when we bought it!

Thing is - inflating the new prices keeps the residuals higher on second hand ones too. Its a bit of a two edged sword...

gkerr4

Postby gkerr4 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 17:48 pm

Not that much though.

I'd easily get 50% bck on what I paid, but that's only, what, 30% of the current rrp?

Simon E

Postby Simon E » Wed Mar 28, 2012 18:49 pm

gkerr4 wrote:Don't get me wrong, i think that islabikes are great bikes, but they just seem to have gotten a bit carried away with the prices in recent times. I was shocked to see that the beinn20 is now £265 with delivery!! - wow - it was £169 in december 09 when we bought it!

Most bikes jumped in price between 2009 and 2011 due to currency fluctuations, increase in raw materials prices, transport costs and so on. Isla has less leverage than the likes of Giant and Specialized and even Ridgeback (part of Madison, UK arm of Shimano) and already operates on pretty tight margins. £265 is still less than an equivalent adult bike yet most of the costs involved - R&D, components, shipping etc - are very similar.

When you sell the Ridgeback (RRP £150) it won't fetch as much as the Islabike (RRP £170). Having seen the MX16 it's good value, particularly if you can get hold of one at a good price. The Beinn 20 and 24 are quite a bit better specced than the equivalent MX, which have unnecessary suspension, higher gear ratios and longer crankarms. We have both Beinn 20 and MX20 in our house and the differences are glaringly obvious.

According to the specifications, the MX16 weighs 3lbs more than the Cnoc, as much as the Beinn 20, which is 5lbs less than the MX20. 5lbs is a lot at that age.

If you look at drop bar bikes the Moda Minor is more expensive and can't do 'cross or take mudguards / rack while the Dawes Espoir is heavier and less well designed or specified. Yes, I'm an unashamed fan of Islabikes and their creator, but with good reason: she is passionate, she cares and she makes the best bikes 8)
Aspire not to have more, but to be more.

gkerr4

Postby gkerr4 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 18:59 pm

you make some valid points and on the 20" wheel models the difference is pretty clear - you get a better bike (albeit at a price - like most things in life i guess..)

I would imagine when the little one needs a new bike (and assuming we haven't kept the older girls beinn20) then I will almost certainly be back at islabikes for a 20" model.

but getting the ridgeback for £110 - you have to admit - thats a great bike for the money - alloy frame, alloy rims, same brakes and levers as the islabike. I'm not so worried on the resale value, but take your point on that.

Postby eDad » Thu Oct 17, 2013 13:48 pm

Maybe I'm too eager to post but I think absolutely yes. The Cnoc 16 price has risen to £200 but according to the company they have reduced the weight at the same time. Mine weighs in at 6.1kg.

Just want to share my bike shopping experience. I considered Cnoc16, Blowfish16 and Ridgeback MX16, Saracen Bolt 16 plus two more from Evans: Pinnacle Koto 16 and Early Rider Belter 16. My kid was riding a Cuda Blox 14 and I'm happy with the overall performance (the brake levers are reachable and works well) except a general puzzling fact that 14 inch bikes are generally chucky and heavy. Both the aluminium Blox 14 and MX 14 weighs over 9kg.

The difference are generally plastic vs alloy brake levers and gearing ratio and tyre widths. Islabikes and Early Rider Belter and Pinnacle score on all front whereas the rest tick one or two boxes. You have to decide if these items are worth it. Islabikes is priced and weighted between the other two but recent eBay auction suggests that cost of ownership of Islabikes is lower than say a Ridgeback as the resale value is >70% vs ~50%.

Joelsim

Postby Joelsim » Sun Oct 20, 2013 16:12 pm

Absolutely worth it.

Brilliant bikes, very easy for little hands to control.

Unbelievable resale values.

No brainer.
My men 2016: Kung, Meintjes, MA Lopez, Betancur, A Yates, S Yates, Gaviria, Taaramae. Bonus: Teunissen

www.catsittersw17.co.uk

86inch

Postby 86inch » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:12 am

Our two boys have had two Islabikes each and the ones we have sold have really justified the price we paid - although i would have paid it anyway.
The bikes being so well designed means they are more comfortable, easier to handle and more enjoyable to ride as a result. Our eldest, nearly 8 regularly rides 30 miles or more on his, no probs at all.

Finegan

Postby Finegan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 14:33 pm

I have recently bought an Islabike for both my children. My 6 year old went from screaming every time her cheep bike wobbled on stabilisers to Riding on her own with no stabilisers in 2 weeks. She spent a week trying to get to grips with peddling with no stabilisers but couldn't get it so we took the pedals off and lowered the seat for a week and then put pedals back on and by that afternoon she was riding.
My son had a balance bike (he's just turned 3) and has no problem with balance, he is just getting to grips with pedalling and going in a straight line but he is still very young so he is doing well.
I can not rate Islabike enough, they are brilliant

Tobamory

Postby Tobamory » Tue Nov 05, 2013 19:05 pm

I got this Mines 5 and just riding without stablizers

http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/kids/kid-160/kid-160-girl/

I got a good deal on it 150

theslowone

Postby theslowone » Tue Nov 19, 2013 08:07 am

Since starting this thread in 2011: Update
In the end we opted for an Islabike (cnoc 16 large) and as suspected it has been excellent, my son was riding by himself within about an hour! We are now upgrading to a bein. Just a point regarding the residual value of these bikes, We have posted the original bike on ebay and already we have bids upto £140 (not bad for a bike 2 years old that cost £170 new). I have also had a message from someone in Belgium who has said that he is willing to pay £200 plus postage as they can't get them in Belgium. I am a little dubious about this though using the rule that if somthing seems to good to be true it usualy is. My point is that we decided to go with Isla in the hope that we could get some money back later and it seems to be working (although I have been very strict about looking after it).

maddog 2

Postby maddog 2 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 19:12 pm

Anyone who values good design will understand how good the Islabike range is. Very impressive.

The Islabike range is head and shoulders above the rest IMO. People may scoff at the price but the resale value is so high that the actual cost of ownership is no greater than other options. My girls have been on various Islabikes (cnoc14, 16, beinn 20, 24) since they were four years old and I'll continue to buy them as they grow. Good company and well designed bikes.
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Kermit Power

Postby Kermit Power » Tue Dec 31, 2013 13:21 pm

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Beinn 26 Large for my daughter's 11th birthday next week. Yes, £350 is a lot of money for a kid's bike, but they're selling on Ebay for £250 - 300 once you add on shipping, so it just didn't seem worth buying second hand.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, but which I think is a real benefit of Islabikes is the Unisex colour schemes. My daughter chose blue, but neither that nor red would've been a problem for handing down to her two younger brothers. The same definitely can't be said of the Spesh it's replacing!!!

bikeboff

Postby bikeboff » Thu Mar 06, 2014 14:09 pm

I've had problems with both Islabikes that I bought for my children. Both of them have had pedals falling off, mid-ride. Islabikes won't accept there is a manufacturing problem, so I've had to pay for replacement cranks - twice. Not impressed with their customer service.

bompington

Postby bompington » Thu Mar 06, 2014 14:58 pm

bikeboff wrote:I've had problems with both Islabikes that I bought for my children. Both of them have had pedals falling off, mid-ride. Islabikes won't accept there is a manufacturing problem, so I've had to pay for replacement cranks - twice. Not impressed with their customer service.

Not exactly doubting your story, but as "pedals falling off Islabikes" is not a commonly reported problem, to have it on two different bikes - what are the odds of that happening? "To lose one pedal may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both begins to look like carelessness".

bikeboff

Postby bikeboff » Fri Mar 07, 2014 00:59 am

Funny how that has happened with two Islabikes, then, but not with my other seven bikes (yes, keen, eh?) that I've had for more than a decade. That's why it does indeed seem unfortunate.

baudman

Postby baudman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 05:45 am

So was the fault with the crank? The thread in the crank? The pedal? Or how tight the pedal was attached?
Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike

Mike Healey

Postby Mike Healey » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:52 pm

bikeboff wrote:Funny how that has happened with two Islabikes, then, but not with my other seven bikes (yes, keen, eh?) that I've had for more than a decade. That's why it does indeed seem unfortunate.

Obviously, I'm not commenting on your problems, but the only ones we've had with ours, which we lend out every week throughout the year for sessions and for races, have been simple wear and tear and occasional minor mishaps thro' poor gear changing, etc.

Return to “Family & Kids cycling forum”