Any suggestions for a DIY mudflap on a Raceblade?

Home of daft questions and helpful answers.
craker

Any suggestions for a DIY mudflap on a Raceblade?

Postby craker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 pm

My new frame hasn't got clearance for mudguards so I've resurrected my old blades... and I do miss the mudflaps of my full length guards.

Any DIY suggestions? I've got a rivet gun at home so I might be able to pop something to the bottom of the blade. Failing that I can araldite something in place, but what?

Cheers!

schweiz

Re: Any suggestions for a DIY mudflap on a Raceblade?

Postby schweiz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:38 pm

cut up a plastic drinks' bottle?

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:47 pm

I cut one out from a heavy duty plastic (polypropolene) document wallet, about a quid in Tesco, can make several from one wallet, choice of colours :wink: Get one thats got a box profile that's made out of stiffer plastic.

Bordersroadie

Postby Bordersroadie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 22:18 pm

alfablue wrote:I cut one out from a heavy duty plastic (polypropolene) document wallet, about a quid in Tesco, can make several from one wallet, choice of colours :wink: Get one thats got a box profile that's made out of stiffer plastic.

+1

That's what I made mine from. Doesn't get brittle evenwhen subzero, super strong and light. I use two M4 stainless bolts and locknuts so you can adjust its alignment if needed.

kenan

Postby kenan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 21:28 pm

I used part of an old innertube and taped it on to the bottom of the guard. Only expected it to last a ride or two but has been on for almost 2 months and working really well keeping my feet dry !!!!!

craker

Postby craker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 22:22 pm

kenan wrote:I used part of an old innertube and taped it on to the bottom of the guard.

Have you got a picture? I can't imagine how this works! 700c inner?

kenan

Postby kenan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 20:13 pm

Not sure what size tube it was, my mug guards are wider than yours but I'll take a picture tomorrow as the bike is at work.

BOYDIE

Postby BOYDIE » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 am

I use the very thin rubber mats, that you can buy from B&Q. The ones the wife uses behind our front door in winter. Cost about £3 and I have been using the same mat for the last two years to cut out mudflaps.Nice black colour and hang well.
I just pop a couple of small 4mm holes into my mudguard, and the same with the mudflap, and just use a zip tie to attach it. Ill pop a picture up later.

jomoj

Postby jomoj » Wed Dec 19, 2012 13:10 pm

if you've got an old tyre then you can cut a section out of that, it's pre curved and still flexible. Either drill / puncture some holes in guard and tyre flap and attach with bolts or cable ties.

dodgy

Postby dodgy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 13:14 pm

I use a cut out from an old MTB inner tube, if you slice them down the middle they open up really wide, quite surprising. They don't get damaged if you drop off a curb, they're silent, lightweight, withstand weather/cold/mud etc.

Return to “The Workshop.”