Dangerous sportive sections & marshalling?

Find out about the BikeRadar Live cycling festival - Donington 30-31 May 2009
picko

Dangerous sportive sections & marshalling?

Postby picko » Tue May 26, 2009 10:53 am

Any ideas about the plans for marshalling? I've ridden a couple of the route sections in the last few weeks and there are some very dangerous downhill parts. There's a short descent into Parwich at 40 miles and a longer run into Ellastone at 66 miles which are both very steep unsigned single lane roads (tracks really) with little road visibility, a lot of gravel & potholes (and cow poo!) and tight bends. I'm an experienced ride and a regular MTBer and consider myself pretty good technically but I had some serious squeaky bum moments in completely dry conditions on these sections and now know the local hedgerows pretty well. Add in traffic coming the other way and I can pretty much guarantee people are going to come off. If there's a rider briefing, I think it's well worth mentioning these sections. I wouldn't want this to spoil a great route (the climb into Blore is a leg-busting belter!) and what should be a top day out for a lot of people.

MC1

Postby MC1 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:03 am

Hi picko,

Thanks for this. Here's some info from the Sportive info pack:

The Route

The Route will be signed throughout. There will be marshals at certain locations wearing identifiable hi-viz tabards too. These marshals will have radio and/or mobile communications so if you have a problem on the route you can also report to them. Please note that there are sections where the route is very steep and potentially hazardous so please proceed with care and slow down when instructed to do so. Please note the following closure schedule for the route.

• Eggington Common (outbound) 9am
• Duffield 10am
• Parwich 11am
• Grindon 12pm
• Stanton 1pm
• Ostrich Inn, Longford 2pm
• Willington 3pm
• Donnington Park 4pm

The 60mile route will be closed from Kirk Ireton at 11am to reach Longford at 12pm.

colin146

Postby colin146 » Tue May 26, 2009 17:46 pm

Call me Mr Thicko but........are you saying that these are the cut off times at the locations in your last post?. That being the case are you envisaging a mass start from Cas Don, otherwise the times look a little "keen" to say the least.

The sportive info pack you speak of, available as email or only at sign on?

Finally I have an opportunity to pop in on Fri eve. Will signing on be available then?

Colin

mgcycleguy

Postby mgcycleguy » Tue May 26, 2009 19:51 pm

I just read in the "essential sportive information"... that the intention is to let riders go in groups of 40

MC1

Postby MC1 » Wed May 27, 2009 08:25 am

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Thu May 28, 2009 19:46 pm

I've ridden the section into Parwich and didn't notice any dangerous descents - assuming I've got it right and the route is from Carsington via the Knockerdown pub to Parwich and I've not ridden the course in reverse ?
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Return to “BikeRadar Live 2009”