"An absolutely fabulous TT - the Beacon Little Mountain"

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
BeaconRuth

Re: "An absolutely fabulous TT - the Beacon Little Mountain"

Postby BeaconRuth » Sun Apr 29, 2012 21:21 pm

The full results can be seen here.

Ruth

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Apr 30, 2012 09:25 am

Don't think I've ever finished that high in an open TT with full field of entrants before ;) My climbing times are a bit poor, I think I held too much back on the course in general but especially on Stanford Bank. I didn't have a clue how far I was around the course until the 30 mile point due to breaking the wheel magnet for my computer. The hardest climb for me was the one just after the Hundred House Hotel which I assumed at first was the start of Stanford. Also the section of road from Hallow to HQ was bad, I thought my brakes had got stuck on as I had been expecting a cross-tailwind thinking the road was running east-west!

Anyone know where the official photographs can be found? Once again thanks to Ruth and Beacon RCC :)

GBY73

Postby GBY73 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 am

Firstly many thanks to Ruth and the HQ helpers but especially to all the marshalls and officials out on the course for the duration of the race. Without the support of club members like this events of this nature could never go ahead. In spite of the weather, or perhaps because of it, the atmosphere at the HQ and throughout the race was superb. This was my first time round the course and I had a couple of scary moments when nothing happened for some time after applying the brakes when approaching a couple of downhill bends. After that I took it very easy on the descents and subsequently lost a lot of time. But, as others have mentioned, the rain alone was not the problem, it was the cold that got to me. Afterwards, I wore a thermal top, 2 thick wooly jumpers, a jacket and I was still shivering. It was the correct decision, however, to continue with the race, it's then down to the individual to decide how they ride.

So, would I drive 120 miles again to ride in the cold wind and rain. Strangely enough, I think I would. I think next year's race may see quite a few PB improvements!

Gawain.

RoadMeridaBen

Postby RoadMeridaBen » Tue May 01, 2012 16:49 pm

Pross wrote:Don't think I've ever finished that high in an open TT with full field of entrants before ;) My climbing times are a bit poor, I think I held too much back on the course in general but especially on Stanford Bank. I didn't have a clue how far I was around the course until the 30 mile point due to breaking the wheel magnet for my computer. The hardest climb for me was the one just after the Hundred House Hotel which I assumed at first was the start of Stanford. Also the section of road from Hallow to HQ was bad, I thought my brakes had got stuck on as I had been expecting a cross-tailwind thinking the road was running east-west!

Anyone know where the official photographs can be found? Once again thanks to Ruth and Beacon RCC :)

Dont think you can count that as a full field when only 54 finished :P
Fair play to you for riding though as the conditions must have been bad to warrant all the dns's lol
10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
25 - 53:07 R25/7
Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152

RoadMeridaBen

Postby RoadMeridaBen » Tue May 01, 2012 18:57 pm

Hehe, fair enough :P
10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
25 - 53:07 R25/7
Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue May 01, 2012 18:59 pm

Very much tongue in cheek, I've always been a poor tester. Even of the 54 finishers 35% were below me which must be a record!

But on the important stuff for my vanity, anyone know the site for the official photos if there was one? Saw loads on photographers and one got a nice one as I rode through a brown, muddy river near the end. I hear Jens Voigt was down to ride but rang to cancel as it was too tough ;)

BeaconRuth

Postby BeaconRuth » Tue May 01, 2012 21:09 pm

Pross, I don't think there were any official professional photographers out on the course - at least none of which I'm aware. However, a couple of amateur photographers in the club were taking the best photos they could, given the conditions, and if we have a reasonable one of each rider then they will receive that with their official results. One of those photographer's photos are here but they only start in the middle of the women because Paul had to put all the course signs out on the first loop before he could move on to photography duties. They do capture the atmosphere of the start area fantastically well though.

One of my clubmates who is a top-class professional photographer was also out on the course but he was doing 'arty' stuff for his own purposes. He has however posted links to a couple of amazing shots, one of which is here and the other one you can on my club's forum here.

Ruth

Return to “Amateur Race”