"An absolutely fabulous TT - the Beacon Little Mountain"

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
davep7

Re: "An absolutely fabulous TT - the Beacon Little Mountain"

Postby davep7 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 19:45 pm

Out of interest just how steep are the climbs? I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 12-25 or a 12-27!

When I did my pb time a couple of years ago my bottom gear was 42/23, on a tt bike with a disc rear wheel.. that's tough on Ankerdine, but ok for the rest. This year I am trying a different tactic and I'm using 39 / 23 as bottom gear and my lightest spoked wheels, still on a tt bike. I plan to start out a little faster and hopefully the slightly lower gear will bail me out when I get to Ankerdine.

It's worth pointing out that the weather forecast is shocking and it's almost certainly going to be wet so rock hard tyre pressures may not be the best way forward.

GBY73

Postby GBY73 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 09:11 am

Very long time lurker here. I'm also debating whether to ride a 25 or 27, especially as there may be some wheel slip given the wet conditions. I'm also torn between using my TT bike or road bike, I did a 50k hilly last week on the TT bike and my glutes were very uncomfortable for a while afterwards whenever I tried to sit down!

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:54 am

I've chucked the 27 on so I can stay in the saddle longer if it's slippery and also in case there's a gale force headwind on the hills!

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:43 pm

starting to think tomorrow is going to be madness now....
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

markos1963

Postby markos1963 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 14:33 pm

Just got back in from going around the course. Really worried that a 50/34-12/25 combo isn't going to be enough for me! Plenty of people walking up Ankerdine with their bikes has given me the willies. The TT bike is going to stay in the car tomorrow some, of the descents are fast and technical and I don't think a TT bike in the wind and wet will give me any advantage at all. The same goes for deep section carbon tubs it's going to be an alloy clincher day I think.

BeaconRuth

Postby BeaconRuth » Sat Apr 28, 2012 16:05 pm

Markos, I'd have thought you'd get up Ankerdine with 34x25. Don't forget that having a number on your back gives you that extra bit of incentive, the timekeepers will be timing you and there might be spectators giving you a cheer (though they'll have to be hardy folk, given the forecast!). I got up it on 39x21 in the event in 2007 although it wasn't a pretty sight!

Ruth

markos1963

Postby markos1963 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 16:28 pm

BeaconRuth wrote:Markos, I'd have thought you'd get up Ankerdine with 34x25. Don't forget that having a number on your back gives you that extra bit of incentive, the timekeepers will be timing you and there might be spectators giving you a cheer (though they'll have to be hardy folk, given the forecast!). I got up it on 39x21 in the event in 2007 although it wasn't a pretty sight!

Ruth

As a one off Ruth I wouldn't have worried about it, I think Gas Hill in Norwich is almost as steep, it's just the 34 hilly TT miles before it that make me worried. The timekeepers will have an easy job with me just give them a calender and tell them to look for the man with the purple face!

peejay78

Postby peejay78 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 17:08 pm

i've opted for the road bike for tomorrow.

given the forecast i don't want to be riding TT. and i don't want to be in a skinsuit. wet weather gear all round.

davep7

Postby davep7 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 19:30 pm

My best mate has a weather station in his garden in Worcester, which is about 10 miles from the event HQ. If anyone is travelling a long way to the event maybe check it out before you set out.. It updates every 10 minutes I think.

Here's a link.. http://www.monster-media.co.uk/weather/index.htm

Looking on the bright side, the forecast 40mph north easterly gusts will blow us up Stanford bank.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Apr 28, 2012 19:36 pm

Good luck to everyone riding tomorrow, wish I could be there. I'd rather be grovelling up the hills in the rain than fighting with idiots...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

3Pears

Postby 3Pears » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Total respect to all riders today, took a load of photos on Ankerdine climb which I'll post when I work out how to :(

Horrid conditions but very annoying for me, Danny Axford climbed so so quick, making it look easy, when I have to grovel up it at the end of each training ride !!

Favourite comment from one of the riders as he passed "I want my mum" made me laugh :P

Well done to all of the organising team too :wink:

Pross

Postby Pross » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:51 pm

Huge thanks to Ruth and all the Beacon RCC marshalls, tea ladies and other helpers. Really felt sorry for the marshalls who were out there longer than us. definitely the toughest conditions I've ever raced in and one of the 3 toughest rides I've ever done. Got a time of 2.23.12 which I'm quite happy with considering the conditions and having seen the results board. Fastest time when I left was a 1.45!!

I drove over Ankerdine on my way to HQ and it made me worry about Stanford as the event info makes it sound like that.is the longer and steeper climb. In the end I managed both climbs OK and even had a gear to spare on Stanford.The wind was horrendous though, the last 5 miles took me 22 minutes even though they were mainly downhill! By the finosh I was borderline hypothermic and didn't stop shivering for over half an hour. Was good to meet Markos and Ruth, sorry I didn't say goodbye but I desperately needed to get in my car with the heating on full.

3Pears, looking forward to seeing the photos (I was no. 123) and thanks for the shouts of encouragement which were needed! Got my eyes set on next year and the improvers award ;)

davep7

Postby davep7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 15:24 pm

Pross wrote: Got my eyes set on next year and the improvers award ;)

Well I was 24 minutes down on my pb today so if the weather is even half decent next year you have a great chance!

Thanks to all the marshals and helpers, I was last man on the road for quite a while, sorry I kept you all waiting!

markos1963

Postby markos1963 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 17:32 pm

Yes indeed, many many thanks to Ruth and her team. One of the best events I've ever been to despite the weather. Poor Ruth had the Devils job today with a decision as the run the race or not, damned if she did and damned if she didn't. I for one was very happy we raced. I wasn't very quick, 2hrs 46m 12 s i just wanted to get around and set a time to beat next year. I reckon I lost a lot more than 20 mins due to the weather, I was unable to take advantage on the descents which is my strong point. I thought 40mph was enough coming down to Stamford Bridge with virtually no brakes :shock: I was so cold and tired by the time I got to Ankerdine I just couldn't find the legs to climb all of it and had to walk a bit(next year I'll bring a 11/28 cassette)
Good to meet you Pross and don't worry about not saying goodbye I was a wreck and just wanted to get warm as well.
Bring it on next year ( but can we have it in August Ruth?)

BeaconRuth

Postby BeaconRuth » Sun Apr 29, 2012 18:10 pm

Thanks to Pross, Dave and Markos for their comments but also for coming and riding today. I think the conditions really brought out the true spirit of those who enter the event and also all my Beacon clubmates. Considering what everyone put themselves through (and I include all the marshals and helpers who were out in that weather it too) it is a real testament to the passion and affection everyone has for the event that absolutely everyone was not just resigned, but cheerful and extremely good-humoured from start to finish. Whether it was the riders who were looking at the pouring rain before dashing outside just before their start time or the checkers out on the course who re-wrote their sodden lists of times when they got back to the HQ, to the photographer who went home to dry his lenses with a hair-dryer before going back out to take more photos............. I'm deeply impressed.

So, Pross, Dave and Markos were BikeRadar finishers along with SBezza and GBY73. Anyone else we've missed? Johnpsanderson called it a day after the first loop - no shame in that I feel.

Great to meet you, Pross and Markos. I can only apologise for barely saying more than "hello". I always drive home from the LMTT and go through in my head all the people I would have liked to talk to properly but didn't get the chance.. :(

So, who's up for next year's event?!

Ruth

markos1963

Postby markos1963 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 18:19 pm

Me for sure Ruth, will even save holiday leave just in case it falls bad for me(I don't want to do a NapD and have to sit it out!)

3Pears

Postby 3Pears » Sun Apr 29, 2012 18:30 pm

I realise there was a proper photographer present but here are a few from Ankerdine taken with a point and shoot cheap camera. Some turned out not so good but you may have one in there of yourself that will be a reminder of one special character building you once did late April :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113659278 ... onHillyTT#

PS Pross, if you were in your Abergavenny kit, your photo lookin good :wink:

SBezza

Postby SBezza » Sun Apr 29, 2012 18:51 pm

Massive thanks must go out to the marshals, timekeepers and helpers that must have got soaking wet through as well as the riders, they are real stars ( I did try and say thanks to all on the course whilst riding. Well done Ruth it was a brave decision to go ahead, like I said, I have trained in worse conditions, and the rain was no worse than an early season TT I did down here. Funnily enough it wasn't the rain that was a problem, the gusts caused me a few issues, but I have had those on other TT's as well where there are cross winds. The biggest issue for me was the cold, there is no way it should be 4-5 degrees at the end of April, it just isn't right LOL.

Not really sure I enjoyed it this year, grovelling up Ankerdine with too big a gear is never enjoyable, and the headwind once at the top all the way back to the finish was just a bit soul destroying to say the least.

Will I be back next year, well more than likely LOL. I did say to Mr Povey I think I need to be put away in a padded cell for my own safety LOL. It certainly was character building this year, and at least when I am suffering in 50's, 100's and 12 hour TT's this season I can look back and say it can't be any worse than the LMTT ;)

3Pears, some good photos, I was shocked when 111 went back past me on Ankerdine, that was a real struggle for me.

Pross

Postby Pross » Sun Apr 29, 2012 19:17 pm

3Pears wrote:I realise there was a proper photographer present but here are a few from Ankerdine taken with a point and shoot cheap camera. Some turned out not so good but you may have one in there of yourself that will be a reminder of one special character building you once did late April :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113659278 ... onHillyTT#

PS Pross, if you were in your Abergavenny kit, your photo lookin good :wink:

That's me thanks. I'm really pleased with that, it's the first photo of me on a road bike in close on 20 ywars so will replace my avatar and Facebook profile pic if that's OK? Certainly look slimmer than I did on an MTB photo last year :) I sat down for the one photographer in an attempt to look casual lol

3Pears

Postby 3Pears » Sun Apr 29, 2012 20:19 pm

Pross, you carry on and do whatever with your photo :D I was feeling sorry for myself for not racing the Birmingham Crits in that weather and walked out to snap a few photos of you 'hardcore' folks :P

Return to “Amateur Race”