Course / Venue guides and reviews - what to expect, where

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
Surfr

Re: Course / Venue guides and reviews - what to expect, wher

Postby Surfr » Tue Mar 27, 2012 07:29 am

Pembrey Circuit - 1.45 mile motor racing circuit. Wide throughout and decent surface for the most part. Tends to suffer from a prevailing South Westerly and is exposed due to proximity of coast. Often see breaks getting away here, but not always. On occasion of a bunch gallop, the wide finish straight allows for safe sprinting, if a nightmare for the finish line judges! Generally a safe course which doesn't seem to suffer from multiple crashes like some other tighter circuits. The main hairpin at the end of the start finish straight) if running clockwise) is probably the main area of concern but again the width helps.
Typical 3/4th cat http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92469268
Shrewsbury Sundorne Circuit
A purpose built cycle track of 0.64 miles in length. This circuit is tight and contains 2 major hairpins. The worst of which is over 180 degrees and is followed by a lazy esses configuration. This is where the vast majority of people exit onto the grass after being pushed wide or by overcooking it themselves. The esses following the hairpin have claimed a few wheels too, as the bunch straightlines through them and the edges of the pack can get squashed out or get jumpy at the prospect. The back straight after the initial left hand hairpin can get a little greasy due to overhanging trees keeping the track a bit green with vegetation/moss on the surface, but I've never seen anyone suffer from it too badly. Careful breaking into the main hairpin as it comes at the end of the 'downhill' straight too. Great for spectators as the start/finish line is next to the car park and you can walk around the inside of the track to cheer on riders. I've only ever seen racing in an anti-clockwise direction here.

Typical 3/4th Cat race http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93194827

CakeLovinBeast

Postby CakeLovinBeast » Wed Mar 28, 2012 22:14 pm

Pross wrote:
CakeLovinBeast wrote:I honestly don't know, I've only *just* started racing. I had a quick look on the map, and whilst it's in the same general area, I think there's probably enough distance between the two for it to be a different venue.

I'll be doing a few at Merryfield this season I think. Just been looking at the calendar and they have quite a few 4th cat only races I fancy trying.

Definitely worth giving it a go - it's a good circuit, though the fact that it's flat, pothole-free, and not very twisty means that the fittest riders are always going to have the advantage!
Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 07:38 am

bump! Needs to be stickyed!

AlainR

Postby AlainR » Fri Apr 13, 2012 07:42 am

Anyone got any info on Castle Coombe? :)

wjcrombie

Postby wjcrombie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 am

For Anyone racing BC eastern Region races, the below link will be useful.

http://britishcyclingeasternregion.co.uk/

If you click on the 2012 Events link you get all the races for 2012 and the courses they will be held on.

If you click on the Road Race courses link, you get the descrition of the course and a link to on an online map with course profile as well.

As would be expected, most of the courses are pretty flat....

Pross

Postby Pross » Wed Jun 27, 2012 08:50 am

Stourport

1.4km cycle specific track which can be run either way and has a couple of cut throughs to enable a shorter track. The track is 6m wide with a very good surface and contains two 180 degree hairpins. The course rises up on the approach to the hairpin at the far end from the club house and then drops down into the bend before rising back up out of it again (going either direction) meaning those not near the front will have an uphill sprint every 2 minutes or so to stay in contact. The hairpin near the clubhouse is nearly as tight but flat. There are 3 other bends of note. The far end of the course is reasonably sheltered by banks but the clubhouse end is more exposed. Good clubhouse and changing facilities and the scenery is quite good when the athletics club are training ;)

ShockedSoShocked

Postby ShockedSoShocked » Wed Jun 27, 2012 17:00 pm

Thick Tester wrote:Darley Moor

Motorbike racing circuit in a semi extinct rural location. Pleasantly surrounded by a light aircraft and microlight runway and sheep farm to the centre of the circuit. Good Tarmac surface wide enough for an 80 bunch engines to sit pulling Lenny Henry faces at each other when being scared of doing a turn on the front. Occasional Chicanes are spiced up with tub and rim busting rumble strips and the width of the circuit allows adeaqute room for the landing of the Derbyshire Air ambulance after the invetiable bunch sprint crash. Has its own microclimate so winter and summer clothing is essential.

Hahahaha A+

Darley Moor is ******* horrendous.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Jez mon

Postby Jez mon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 15:33 pm

AlainR wrote:Anyone got any info on Castle Coombe? :)

Fast course, wide but can get tight at the chicanes, much like Thruxton, although with more gradual corners. When I was last there (5 years ago :oops: ) there were lots of marbles off line in the bends. I should suspect that it can get very windy, but I can't recall that much when I've been riding there. Unlike thruxton, the last chicane is a fair bit away from the final straight, so possibly you could say it is more forgiving of poor positioning within the bunch.

I would add a note about the wind to the thruxton review. I have been there when the wind was so strong, the downhill straight was little ring stuff (4th Cat race though), and you had to lean the bike over on one of the straights into the wind (I was a 55kg whippet though!)

Other circuits that could do with a review, Chertsey and Goodwood (do races still happen there!?)
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Jez mon wrote:
AlainR wrote:Anyone got any info on Castle Coombe? :)

Fast course, wide but can get tight at the chicanes, much like Thruxton, although with more gradual corners. When I was last there (5 years ago :oops: ) there were lots of marbles off line in the bends. I should suspect that it can get very windy, but I can't recall that much when I've been riding there. Unlike thruxton, the last chicane is a fair bit away from the final straight, so possibly you could say it is more forgiving of poor positioning within the bunch.

I would add a note about the wind to the thruxton review. I have been there when the wind was so strong, the downhill straight was little ring stuff (4th Cat race though), and you had to lean the bike over on one of the straights into the wind (I was a 55kg whippet though!)

Other circuits that could do with a review, Chertsey and Goodwood (do races still happen there!?)

CC is VERY windy.

phersey

Postby phersey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 14:19 pm

:idea: Crystal Palace

The circuit is technically demanding, which means that you need to ride at the front (first 10 - 15 riders) for the whole race, and particularly at the start. Riders are normally dropped because they go too slow around the corners and lose wheels. Normally raced anti-clockwise, but occasionally clockwise. The description is for racing anti-clockwise.

Following the start there is a tricky left hand hairpin under a willow tree – need to sprint out of the corner to the next right hand hairpin, which has a downhill exit. It’s then downhill to a blind left hand bend with an overhanging trees on the inside. Can be taken without braking if leading, but need confidence.

The next corner is an off-camber left-hander, which is quite fast, but easy to hit a pedal if you're overly ambitious. Then there is a small rise – not much of a hill, but enough to wear you out. Finally, it is downhill round a sweeping left hand bend to the finish. Each lap is about 1.2 km. In my view, the toughest circuit in London.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Un ... sz=19&z=17
Last edited by phersey on Wed Aug 29, 2012 22:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonny7c

Postby Jonny7c » Wed Aug 22, 2012 20:44 pm

Tockwith

1 mile (ish) circuit on fairly fresh tarmac. Generally sweeping bends with one sharper turn either at the end or start of the finishing straight depending on whether being run clockwise or anti clockwise. Set in open countryside so can be windy. Wide track so plenty of room. One 'chicane' which can be a bit dicey if others cut the corners. Quite enjoyable (but a bit dull) circuit. Operator is currently hacing licence issues so latest race series was unfortunatley cancelled.

Barkston Heath

Old air field with a variety of surfaces, concrete, tarmac and the odd metal drainage strip. Awful 90 degree left hander just before finishing sprint. there's no run off so if you get it wrong you either end up in a spiky bush or over a hefty kerb into some nasty looking cobbles. Only done it once and doubt I'll do it again.

Tameside

Purpose built circuit. Great surface and a plenty of corners. Sit too near the back and you'll spend all night sprinting out of the bends just to stay with the group. Quite narrow so can be quite difficult to move through the field safely. Hairpin bend is fine if you're near the front as the camber lets you take it at a decent pace. Again if you're near the back it's very slow and a full on sprint to get back in the bunch. There can be 40 odd riders in the races there so you need to stay near the front throughout really to have a chance. Strong breaks can stay away due to the twisty nature of the track.

12-32

Postby 12-32 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 08:24 am

Could anyone who has raced there take 5 minutes to do a guide forth Cyclopark out in Kent?

AngryNortherner

Postby AngryNortherner » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:36 am

I haven't raced the Cyclopark, but I rode a lap of the road circuit on my wife's MTB last weekend (don't ask). Course has some rolling climbs and a great downhill after the Start/Finish. Surface is very good, but it's sat on top of a hill so was fairly windy when I was there. The track is wide but most of the corners are hairpins so lot's of sprinting out of them.

elliotlipski

Postby elliotlipski » Sun Sep 09, 2012 23:00 pm

Gravesend Cyclopark

New purpose built facility in the south-east with changing rooms, a cafe and everything you need really, even enough bogs to accommodate all the pre-race nerves.
The circuit can be run clockwise or anti and has many cut-throughs to shorten the circuit.
In low light the circuit is run anticlockwise on a floodlit 1km or so section of the track, starting in front of the club house leading almost immediately into a right hand u-turn that is pretty tight. You can still get 3-4 abreast here. This is followed with a fast downhill chicane that leads into the second u-turn. This is faster than the first and doesn't need brakes! followed with a long straight with a slight and mostly unnoticeable left hand kink, this final straight is slightly uphill but is still very fast.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/219836513
The larger circuit runs into the lower part of the complex and has a more technical section with a few 180degree bends and a final fast right-hand bend leading to the final straight. You have to climb a steepish section to get back onto the shorter circuit, finishing back in front of the clubhouse..
The surface is real nice and grippy however as its still reasonably new with ongoing work sometime mud etc can get thrown onto the track and the edges are pretty rough. The biggest variable however is the weather. I haven't raced in all conditions but if it's windy you WILL notice, running right by the A2 it's very open and can be a right bastard in parts.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/217133499
There's often a motorbike doing some leading and everyone gets a transponder to get an accurate time, at £15 to race it's a good job you get an accurate time! (plus I think you have to affiliate to SERRL- £20)

ellerslierd

Postby ellerslierd » Fri Sep 14, 2012 05:27 am

EDIT: Races now moved to Odd Down (see below)

Only a few races (in May) each year, but the Victoria Park circuit in Bath is a good one. The first part of the lap is a sweeping downhill bend, into quite a steep left hander where the course narrows. A short (40-50m) flat dash to a >180 degree hairpin around the monument is followed by an all out sprint out of the corner as the bunch stretches out to get back up to speed for another downhill section. This leads into a drag uphill for the rest of the lap that is always in the big ring, but continues to false flat all the way up to the line. The races are very short, but the bunch is normally significantly reduced by the end, even in 3/4 races. Positioning is key from the start, if you are on the back you are going to be yo-yoed every time the bunch stretches out in the hairpin, and forced to catch back on during the climb (I have much experience of this) until you are shelled. On the other hand, its actually not that hard at the front because the technical nature of the course means the average speeds are quite low.

Nice to have a race located right near the city centre, which means there are often plenty of people around to watch too. It is also a beautiful course: https://vimeo.com/42344216
Last edited by ellerslierd on Mon Jun 03, 2013 20:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ednino

Postby ednino » Sat Feb 23, 2013 19:18 pm

Pross wrote:Llandow (15 miles west of Cardiff

A small motor racing circuit about 0.9m in length. The course is an oval with one 'proper' chicane that can be bypassed and another chicane that generally gets ridden straight if the bunch is strung out. The course gets run either way - clockwise gives a fairly long straight with a slight uphill finish whilst anti-clockwise the finish is quite close to the final bend and usually the first one into the bend wins (I think they usually bypass the chicane on the final lap when running that way but could be wrong!). The course is exposed and there is almost always a nasty wind.

Maindy

A 460m concrete velodrome that has some 'road races' run on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdJeupnlH-I

Thats how i go round Llandow :lol:
thats typical weather btw :cry:

cojones

Postby cojones » Mon Apr 08, 2013 09:33 am

I'm riding in the Birmingham CC Circuit Races at the end of the month and the address is Birmingham Business Park
Solihull Parkway, Birmingham, B37 7YN. Looking on Google maps there doesn't appear to be a cycle circuit there, so can anyone tell me what the actual circuit is like? Is it on-road around the business park?!

samg123

Postby samg123 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 01:24 am

cojones wrote:I'm riding in the Birmingham CC Circuit Races at the end of the month and the address is Birmingham Business Park
Solihull Parkway, Birmingham, B37 7YN. Looking on Google maps there doesn't appear to be a cycle circuit there, so can anyone tell me what the actual circuit is like? Is it on-road around the business park?!

"The race at Birmingham is around an industrial estate circuit of just over a mile. It's a flat course which while often windy as it's quite open- it's a fast course and usually ends up in a bunch sprint."
http://2ndcatin2012.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... ce-of.html

samg123

Postby samg123 » Wed May 29, 2013 01:13 am

Odd Down, Bath

First race yesterday, so thought I'd put up a little review.
It's a lovely course- as it's new the surface is impeccable and it's slightly wider than it looks in the photos.
It was run anti-clockwise, with a smooth corner from the start to the first hairpin. The hairpins are actually quite wide and can be taken at a fair speed, helped by the fact that they're cambered. There's a bit of a drag up to the finish line, which favoured slightly later sprints. It was a pretty quiet night yesterday, but I'd guess there could be some decisive crosswinds with a Southerly breeze. This is very much a crit circuit, with all that entails.

Johnpsanderson

Postby Johnpsanderson » Wed May 29, 2013 08:02 am

Dunton, Essex

Not sure how to embed a pic, so here's a link that should show it on Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps?q=Dunton,+E ... ngdom&z=15

The track is a vehicle test track at the Ford Technical Centre near Basildon. At the East end of the track there is a hill, i'd guess the track rises about 15-20 metres or so. There's no need to get out of the big ring, but it does slow the bunch down. The rest is flat. There are a couple of odd features -
1) the straight section has no central reservation, it's just an open expanse of tarmac/concrete.
2) the corners are all banked - so that vehicles can be driven round at high speed. Bicycles don't get anywhere near car speeds, so on the left hand bends you have to lean 'the wrong way' to keep the bike upright...

The surface is OK, but not great, there are a couple of lips to the concrete which you smash over every lap.

There is a regular Go-Race series on the track and some LVRC events I think.

Technically this is about as undemanding as it can get.
Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/

Return to “Amateur Race”