Cheap Race Licence

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
mitchgixer6

Re: Cheap Race Licence

Postby mitchgixer6 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 21:08 pm

Well no, APR's TT's mainly. I am in Scotland though. Why do you say that?

cheaterkiller

Postby cheaterkiller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 01:21 am

benneally wrote:Anyone know how to get one any cheaper than a silver membership (£36) + race licence (£32)?

As a student, the last thing I want to be splashing money out on is something intangible....

Cheers.

Ben

I would suggest just turning up to the races and go along with it without paying. Your legally entitled to use the roads just as much as the paying members do. Downside is you dont get timed or anything but it will give you an idea of how fast you are.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 09:25 am

BikeRader wrote: I would suggest just turning up to the races and go along with it without paying. Your legally entitled to use the roads just as much as the paying members do. Downside is you dont get timed or anything but it will give you an idea of how fast you are.

Idiotic advice on so many levels. And the comm will pull you out as soon as it becomes apparent that you don't have a race number. Even if you were stupid enough to actually try this, you probably wouldn't make it past the pre-race briefing.

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am

BikeRader wrote:I would suggest just turning up to the races and go along with it without paying. Your legally entitled to use the roads just as much as the paying members do. Downside is you dont get timed or anything but it will give you an idea of how fast you are.

Troll.

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Jan 28, 2013 13:57 pm

Dess1e wrote:
mitchgixer6 wrote:Just read this thread as it's been resurrected. You don't need to buy the full race licence to enter events if you're a first time racer. You can get a provisional race licence (included with you Silver membership) that will last all year and get you into most races. Not sure if you can gain points using it, but if it's your first year then you probably won't get many points anyway.

I'm on my 3rd year racing and only paid for the full race licence in my first year because I didn't know better. Never paid for it since.

I hope you're only riding circuit races.

Why? Your previous assertion that you can only race circuit races on a provisional is incorrect. You can buy a day licence if you are a 'race' level member for any regional level road event. See this http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/membership/eligibilities.pdf

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 14:01 pm

BikeRader wrote: It may be a bit odd I admit but what are the organisers gonna do? They cant physically stop you from riding down the road at the same time as their race.

This conversation is so stupid, it's not even worth having.

Dess1e

Postby Dess1e » Mon Jan 28, 2013 14:21 pm

Pross wrote:
Dess1e wrote:
mitchgixer6 wrote:Just read this thread as it's been resurrected. You don't need to buy the full race licence to enter events if you're a first time racer. You can get a provisional race licence (included with you Silver membership) that will last all year and get you into most races. Not sure if you can gain points using it, but if it's your first year then you probably won't get many points anyway.

I'm on my 3rd year racing and only paid for the full race licence in my first year because I didn't know better. Never paid for it since.

Why? Your previous assertion that you can only race circuit races on a provisional is incorrect. You can buy a day licence if you are a 'race' level member for any regional level road event. See this http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/membership/eligibilities.pdf

A day licence is different from the provisional entitlement that comes with BC silver membership. The clue is is the phrase you used "you can buy a day licence if you are a 'race' level member for any regional level road event"

The OP was also after info on reducing costs, buying a day licence for each event will not do this, unless you only ride two events a year.
Last edited by Dess1e on Mon Jan 28, 2013 14:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheaterkiller

Postby cheaterkiller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 14:22 pm

Imposter wrote:
BikeRader wrote: It may be a bit odd I admit but what are the organisers gonna do? They cant physically stop you from riding down the road at the same time as their race.

Thats your opinion mate, and it would be greatly appreciated if you just kept those to yourself.
Cycling IS NOT full of dopists! and motorsport isnt full of women drivers!

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Jan 28, 2013 16:31 pm

Dess1e wrote:
Pross wrote:
Dess1e wrote:

A day licence is different from the provisional entitlement that comes with BC silver membership. The clue is is the phrase you used "you can buy a day licence if you are a 'race' level member for any regional level road event"

The OP was also after info on reducing costs, buying a day licence for each event will not do this, unless you only ride two events a year.

That link doesn't differentiate between road and circuit races as far as I can tell. All regional level races allow day licences to be purchased for non-members and discounted day licences available to members. The only races that don't require a licence of some sort are Go Race. Nothing mentions being able to race on a provisional without buying a day licence. I also cannot find anything in the rule book about this.

EDIT I've finally found it - the BC website is still a confusing mess at times. Regional C and C+ are a free day licence with a provisional so covers TTs run under BC rules as well. However, the cost for regional A and B is only £5 so it would take 7 races at that level to break even on the cost of a full licence.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 18:03 pm

cheaterkiller wrote:
Imposter wrote:

Thats your opinion mate, and it would be greatly appreciated if you just kept those to yourself.

Right, so you're the one suggesting crashing someone's event, but I'm the one who should keep my opinions to myself?

jordan_217

Postby jordan_217 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 18:45 pm

I'm entering my first race in March, it's part of a Spring series over 5 w'ends in March. Its mandatory to hold a full license to enter this series.

Anyway, I used 'TFL13' to save 10% and then opted to pay by direct debit and saved a further 10%. I realise the OP is a bit old now but someone may find it useful.

Now just need to figure out how I get round without getting dropped > binned > lapped :?
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

mitchgixer6

Postby mitchgixer6 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 23:04 pm

I'm a bit confused. I've only had a provisional licence for the last 2 years and have raced BC APR'S and TT's on the open road without having to pay anything other than the race entry fee. Is it different for racing in Scotland?

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 23:38 pm

mitchgixer6 wrote:I'm a bit confused. I've only had a provisional licence for the last 2 years and have raced BC APR'S and TT's on the open road without having to pay anything other than the race entry fee. Is it different for racing in Scotland?

I thought you could race on a provisional (which you seem to have been doing), but you can't score points on it?

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:08 am

It depends on the level of race. You can do some lower level circuit races on a provisional, other races you need to buy a day licence which will be cheaper depending on the level of membership you have (membership being different to having a licence). Other races require you to have an actual full racing licence.

Basically if you are looking at doing a season of road racing then you will be cheaper just getting a proper racing licence - and you will get points if you score any where you wont with a day licence. The only way you could do a season on a provisional and make it worthwhile would be if you were riding just lower level circuit races. The costs and entitlements are here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... ---Track-0
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

mitchgixer6

Postby mitchgixer6 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 am

Just had a check on the BC website to confirm to myself that I'm not going mad!

If you have Race Silver membership, you get a Provisional race license included. As stated you can't gain any points whilst using this, but you only need to buy a day race licence for National A/B races and open track meetings. All other races (Regional C+/Regional C/Go Race/Track League meetings) are free (no day license needed).

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:30 am

mitchgixer6 wrote:Just had a check on the BC website to confirm to myself that I'm not going mad!

If you have Race Silver membership, you get a Provisional race license included. As stated you can't gain any points whilst using this, but you only need to buy a day race licence for National A/B races and open track meetings. All other races (Regional C+/Regional C/Go Race/Track League meetings) are free (no day license needed).

No. You can race Regional levels with your provisional licence but National level requires a full licence. The provisional entitles you to purchase a day licence for those regional events at a reduced rate which for Regional C and C+ is free of charge. This would cover most circuit races and BC time trials. The day licence rate for a provisional licence holder for Regional A and B is £5. Unfortunately the BC site is very disjointed on these rules. The table I linked to above appears to show all Regional races having the same requirements but it needs to be looked at in conjunction with this

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roa20120127-road-Single-Day-Racing-Licences-%E2%80%93-Road---Track-0 so Dess1e was more or less correct but you would also be able to get a free day licence for C+ races on the road whilst any Regional A or B circuit races would require a £5 day licence fee.

Disclaimer: This is my reading of the overly complicated BC rules and I'm happy to be corrected by any BC commissaires or other officials!

Dess1e

Postby Dess1e » Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:49 pm

In short the BC tech regs and website are a complete and embarrassing mess regarding provisional licences. This needs to be cleared up and the tech regs amended.

gubber12345

Postby gubber12345 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 22:23 pm

carbon337 wrote:Why all the hate on here - FFS the lad just wants to save a quid or two. Maybe he isnt a middle manager in IT with the Audi, Cervelo and 2.4 kids in the 5 bedroom house like the rest of you.

He wil though probably kick your ars* and your wife will fancy him more than you...

Sorry couldnt resist a little rant ;)

not having a go here....but if you ever go on to roadbikereview.com you'l find out what hate is....i was a member on there and put a thread on about a hill i planned to climb at some point this yr,got tore to strips over it.closed the account and got out of it.some of the guys are really OTT and dont really allow for a new rider to set a goal for themselves,just expect everyone to be were they are at in fitness etc....everyone was a noob at some point.

by the way i agree the licence is a bit expensive,especially if your a student.i was thinking of getting one and trying a few TT's this year.

need to get a bit more training in now tho :lol:

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 22:39 pm

gubber12345 wrote: by the way i agree the licence is a bit expensive,especially if your a student.i was thinking of getting one and trying a few TT's this year.

Most TTs are run by CTT, not BC - so no BC licence needed.

Pross

Postby Pross » Fri Feb 01, 2013 09:35 am

Imposter wrote:
gubber12345 wrote: by the way i agree the licence is a bit expensive,especially if your a student.i was thinking of getting one and trying a few TT's this year.

Most TTs are run by CTT, not BC - so no BC licence needed.

Unless in Scotland.

Return to “Amateur Race”