Two years ban up for Dan Staite...

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
amaferanga

Re: Two years ban up for Dan Staite...

Postby amaferanga » Fri Apr 20, 2012 06:43 am

Chip \'oyler wrote:The lads done the crime and served the time - so let him get on with his life

I think the hate towards him is as much about how much of a knob he came across as in the aftermath.

And I suspect there are plenty of amateur racers, 2nd Cats even, doing similar and getting away with it.
More problems but still living....

fastandfurry

Postby fastandfurry » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:25 am

amaferanga wrote:
Chip \'oyler wrote:The lads done the crime and served the time - so let him get on with his life

I think the hate towards him is as much about how much of a knob he came across as in the aftermath.

And I suspect there are plenty of amateur racers, 2nd Cats even, doing similar and getting away with it.

It'd be a sad day when a second cat gets busted for doing EPO!!

I really think that there needs to be some very occasional, randomised testing done at races (they may already do this - but I've never seen any sign of it?). I know the cost is high, but hitting 5-6 races per year and testing the top ten riders plus some others at random would be enough to bring any serious doping to a halt as the pay off for doping is relatively small (kudos, a small amount of prize money which is in all likelihood outweighed by the cost of the drugs), and the cost of being caught is very high (mostly the social cost - see Dan Staite and the general ridicule there).

Obviously the cost of this in terms of how the sport is seen is potentially high if there were several people busted, but less of a problem than amateurs being put in a position where they feel the need to dope to compete and the gradual escalation which seems inevitable from the current scenario. This damage could be mitigated by British Cycling making it clear that it was about to start testing people at random to discourage potential dopers.

FWIW, I think that Dan Staite should be allowed to return to the sport having served his time - although obviously with an eye to testing him at random events as an obvious high risk individual.

hangeron

Postby hangeron » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:47 am

turbo hamster wrote:
TarmacExpert wrote: anyone could go along and race as Dan Staite and get his ban extended out of malice. Or a different person called Dan Staite might race, and they'd have all sorts of fuss trying to establish for sure that it's someone else with the same name rather than the banned person.

My original observation was that a Dan Staite had won an event. I have no way of knowing if that was the Dan Staite.

Bit of a b*mmer, if you happen to be a totally different Dan Staite. You participate in parkrun in all innocence, then the mighty forces of WADA crash down upon you. Possibly.

That's nothing...my mate is called David Millar - you can imagine the fun when he emailed British Cycling to ask about their Olympic Development Program

sunburntknees

Postby sunburntknees » Fri Apr 20, 2012 14:29 pm

fastandfurry wrote:
amaferanga wrote:

It'd be a sad day when a second cat gets busted for doing EPO!!

Already happened: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... o-use.html

Return to “Amateur Race”