those downtube shifters...

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
Me-109

Re: those downtube shifters...

Postby Me-109 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 09:40 am

coriordan wrote:Weren't they invented so you could also be more sneaky when changing gear/attacking as noone could see you reach for the lever?

It was a benefit, but I doubt it was a design criteria.

dennisn

Postby dennisn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 01:45 am

I am never, repeat never, going to use downtbe shifters again. STI's and Ergo's are a vast, repeat vast improvement. Did I mention that I think they're great? :wink:

esafosfina

Postby esafosfina » Tue Jun 26, 2012 19:24 pm

I remember getting Dura-Ace STi levers on my team-bike just prior to Four Days of Duinkerke in 1991... first stage, I'm away in the break and the poxy things just wouldn't work! Kept skipping, dropping, wouldn't shift... absolutely spat the dummy after the stage and demanded down-tube shifters back on... my parting comment to the team mechanic: "Effing things will never catch on... absolutely useless". :shock:

Month later I was back on them! :D

oldwelshman

Postby oldwelshman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 08:28 am

I raced with both and never wobbled using DT shifters. I ride the same now as when I used them. In fact I think people who never used them would benefit as they would then learn how to ride with gears properly.
Choice of gear, not shifting under load etc. I very often hear gears crunching as riders change under load on climbs or sprinting even. No wonder some use so many chains and cassettes :D

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Tue Jul 24, 2012 06:13 am

Sean Kelly when asked by Harmon " Sean, what in your opinion is the greatest improvement made with modern bikes?"
Answer "STI/ERGO levers" :)

DavidBelcher

Postby DavidBelcher » Tue Jul 24, 2012 09:49 am

Ron Stuart wrote:Sean Kelly when asked by Harmon " Sean, what in your opinion is the greatest improvement made with modern bikes?"
Answer "STI/ERGO levers" :)

Let's face it, considering how long he stuck with toeclips & straps, Sean was never going to say "clipless pedals". ;)

David
"It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal

dw300

Postby dw300 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 21:14 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:To be honest I see more crashes in the PRO peloton now than at the time of down tube shifters. Carbon wheels that don't brake and tubs pressure at 10 Bars are responsible for a lot of mess when the tarmac is not super grippy.

Speedwise, well, Milan-Sanremo is one of the fastest races in the world and some of the fastest ever Milan-Sanremo were run on down tube shifters.

Pantani still holds the record up the Alpe d'Huez and in 1997 was using a downtube shifter for the front mech, as it's lighter than an ergo lever

This post should be held up as a shining beacon of how to completely undermine your own point! :)
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Thu Jul 26, 2012 17:02 pm

dw300 wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:To be honest I see more crashes in the PRO peloton now than at the time of down tube shifters. Carbon wheels that don't brake and tubs pressure at 10 Bars are responsible for a lot of mess when the tarmac is not super grippy.

Speedwise, well, Milan-Sanremo is one of the fastest races in the world and some of the fastest ever Milan-Sanremo were run on down tube shifters.

Pantani still holds the record up the Alpe d'Huez and in 1997 was using a downtube shifter for the front mech, as it's lighter than an ergo lever

This post should be held up as a shining beacon of how to completely undermine your own point! :)

Yep and they were using something else internally in those days as well especially Pantani, which had little to do with shifters.
Check out this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18921784 maybe the peloton is going slower but cleaner :shock:

Return to “Amateur Race”