Amateur's doping.

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
ShockedSoShocked

Re: Amateur's doping.

Postby ShockedSoShocked » Thu Nov 01, 2012 18:36 pm

SwainsL wrote:
Herbsman wrote:Actually, there is reason to believe that the amateur would benefit more than the pro.

Nobody is saying that doping makes you superhuman, in fact nobody suggested anything like that, so I don't know where you got that idea from. However, training and racing is a pro's full time job; they will already be near their full potential, so they have less room for improvement. Whereas an amateur, due to time constraints, would be nowhere near their full potental - thus much more room for improvement. Theoretically, doping could potentially have a more significant effect on the amateur. I'm not saying drugs would allow a third category rider to compete in a professional race - just that they would wee-wee all over other third cats.

I disagree, drugs will mostly help an athlete who is at optimal fitness. The amateur rider will not be able to see the same applicable benefit simply because they aren't fit enough. It's like giving an overweight person Usain Bolt's shoes and expecting him to run much faster. I'm not saying they will not improve at all, in contrast they will not be able to reap the benefits as much as a pro would.

Wrong. Sedentary people given EPO display an enormous increase in VO2 Max without even training.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

giropaul

Postby giropaul » Sat Nov 03, 2012 19:11 pm

dbb wrote:i think it is pretty easy to fail a drug test for a pro. if i recall correctly, some every day medicines are banned. eg sudafed

Actually, it's "easier" for an amateur to go positive. The big pro teams have doctors who will monitor anything a rider takes and ensure that any required pharmaceuticals are legal, or have an appropriate TUE. Smaller teams will usually have a soigneur, and any soigneur worth their salt will have a Mimms or similar to check out over-the-counter medicines and advise riders accordingly.

Amateurs are the ones who are unlikely to think about the cold cure they had yesterday etc.

Harley35

Postby Harley35 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:20 pm

It's the same principle as someone taking steroids down the local gym. Big gains, fast and easier than the years of training.

Return to “Amateur Race”