100 points for 2nd cat ?

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
User avatar
BigMat
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 13:47 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby BigMat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 22:48 pm

oldwelshman wrote:
BigMat wrote:
oldwelshman wrote:
BigMat wrote:I can't see me ever making 100 points at 3rd cat, I just don't have time to race enough and the points on offer for 3rd cat races are too low (I guess you can always do 2/3 races). 40 seems about right as far as I can see. What kind of pussy deliberately stays a level below his own ability just so he can pick up wins against weaker opposition? That's just pathetic.

What an arsehole, think before you write.
What about a vet that could be 60 years old, wins two medals at world masters and UK champs and gets almost enough to get 1st cat? Do you think a 60 yearold would want to ride as a 1st cat?
I know a couple of guys that dont race bcf becuase they are a second cat technically.
Last year I had 185 points as second cat and alsmost made 1st cat which I did not want to as it limits races I can do for training to 1st cat races, so that makes me a pussy also?


Fair enough, maybe should have thought about that one a bit more. I was looking at it from persepctive of 3rd to 2nd cat which is what I thought the thread was about, but apologies if I caused offence. It does seem that there are issues that maybe need addressing around 2nd to 1st cat. Actually, reading my quote back, I still think its pretty sad to "deliberately stay a level below your own ability just so you can pick up wins against weaker opposition". Not sure why that opinion makes me an arsehole. :roll: Fair enough if you have other reasons for wanting to stay where you are.

I cannot see how the new systems would improve what you say is happeneing, in fact it would make it worse.
How do you reckon riders stay down a category so they can pick up wins against weaker riders? If thats the case they would get more points and become a 2nd cat surely? Then with new system they would have to win more races.
All this will do is make more third cat riders, not sure whats the point of that.


I'm not saying its happening. Personally I find it really strange that somebody would deliberately opt to stay at 3rd cat. That seems to be being given as the reason for the points change though. I guess I just find the proposed change frustrating because it takes what I consider to be a realistic goal and replaces it with something that I have no chance of achieving because I just don't have the time to race as much as I would need to get 100 points. I guess if they are changing the points awarded to 3/4 races then it might work, but people seem to be suggesting less points for 3/4 circuit races not more. Given that the only midweek races I can do are circuit races, I would have to win pretty much the entire Hog Hill summer series to step up a category (by way of example). Weekend racing is a big ask at the moment due ti family commitments etc. It just seems to penalise people who aren't able to commit all their spare time to road racing, regardless of how strong they might actually be. Apologies for the rambling response, I guess I'm just bitter that my target for next season looks like slipping away before the season even starts!

Tom Butcher
Posts: 7046
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 22:07 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby Tom Butcher » Wed Oct 31, 2012 23:57 pm

Even riding open road at the weekend it wouldn't be easy. As examples you'd have to win 3 Regional A races - so against 2nd cats - plus a midweek circuit race - to move up. If you were riding 3/4s then you'd have to win 7 Regional Bs.

Mind you where there isn't much 4ths only racing achieving 3rd cat would become more of a target - maybe take over from 2nd cat. 25 points in 3/4 races which would be that much harder because you'd have riders who would be 2nd cats now still in 3rd. So you could argue the challenge would remain the same just that it'd be going from 4th to 3rd rather than 3rd to 2nd. If they do get passed I'd like to see it possible to go back down to 4th as with 3rd being that much tougher I think a lot of people would be getting stuck in a category they couldn't really be competitive in.
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

jibberjim
Posts: 2806
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 20:46 pm
Contact:

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby jibberjim » Thu Nov 01, 2012 08:48 am

Tom Butcher wrote:Even riding open road at the weekend it wouldn't be easy.


It all depends if you see the ranking system as a way to get races against people of a similar standard, or if you see it as a way of keeping score.

For me an aim of "winning a race" or "top 3 in 5 races" etc. would make much better goals for a season than "upgrade to 2nd cat", with the cat upgrading simply coming along as part of racing against the right people.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

walsht1105
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 16:43 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby walsht1105 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 am

jibberjim wrote:
Tom Butcher wrote:Even riding open road at the weekend it wouldn't be easy.


It all depends if you see the ranking system as a way to get races against people of a similar standard, or if you see it as a way of keeping score.

For me an aim of "winning a race" or "top 3 in 5 races" etc. would make much better goals for a season than "upgrade to 2nd cat", with the cat upgrading simply coming along as part of racing against the right people.


You have hit the nail on the head, a change in category comes as you progress so the goal shouldn't really be around getting a license it should be about winning races. I moved up to 2nd cat this year, I didn't get a win so I'm quite disappointed. I'd like to move up to 1st cat next season as it's a sign of progression but I'd be far happier winning a road race and getting some good results and not move up to 1st cat, than scrapping as many points together just to do it (I say this now but sure my mind will change should I get near the goal).

IMO and IME getting 40 points through road racing alone is not an easy task, getting 40 points through crits and road racing is going to be a lot easier when only 15 people are turning up for your local mid week crit. You can't fluke 40 points through only RR'ing it requires consistent results, someone that isn't of a 2nd cat standard will not be able to fluke a win in a 2/3/4 RR, nor can you fluke 3 wins in 3/4 RR.

So the problems highlighted by this thread are -

1. Some people move up to quickly
2. Some people stop racing because they don't want to move up
3. The jump from 3/4 to E12 is massive, especially when the Pro/full timers turn up

1. Split crit, track, road points - meaning that each rider has to prove themself in the given discipline
2. Split crit, track, road points - this means that those riders can race all disciplines and results in one wont affect the other, if someone is getting 40 points in through RR they should be moved up to 2nd cat.
3. Stop pro/full timers riding with the amateurs - Give them more premier calendar events and allow the top amateurs entry if there are available spaces. This will help stop the jump being so big.

My experience comes from riding in the NW, where the CDNW RR circuits are all pretty tough apart from about 3 flatter circuits. You can't consistently fluke results on those cricuits. If there is a 3rd cat rider doing just RR and needs to stop racing because they are close to 40 points in the NW then they there is no reason why they should be extended to 100 points so they can race more and batter their less opponents, just to stop at 99 points til next season.

Like you said Jim category upgrade is seen as a reward, or gives bragging rights. I'm guilty of thinking this way as well, but ultimately it's just a handicap system like in golf. Because you play off scratch in golf it suggests your a good golfer, but lots of people take their handicap from an 'easy courses' just to get theirs lower (for bragging rights). When scratch golfer is consistently getting beaten by players with a bigger handicap then them.. wheres the bragging rights then? So really the person playing the system to get a lower handicap is shooting themselves in the foot - which is their own fault. But the person playing the system getting a handicap which is too generous for them is playing with an unfair advantage - which is not right.

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 15200
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby Pross » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

Categories are strange in any case. Since I started racing again I have only done 3 races in the last 2 seasons, a 3/4 road race, a 4th only crit and a 2/3/4 road race. Of those the best I rode was in the 2/3/4 race as despite about a third of the small starting field being 2nd cat it was a much steadier race which suited me more than the 3/4 or 4 only races where the pace is up and down all the time.

User avatar
ju5t1n
Posts: 1936
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 09:45 am
Contact:

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby ju5t1n » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:41 pm

This proposal appears to have been made on the assumption that some 3rd cats stop racing because they don't want to move up a category. But is there actually any evidence that this is happening on a large scale? Or is it just anecdotal? Sure, there may be a few, but I don’t know of any, and I can’t believe that it’s a big enough problem to justify a change to the rules.

okgo
Posts: 3707
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 14:13 pm
Contact:

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby okgo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 pm

I know a couple, but agree its not a big big problem I don't think, I'd say there are a few riders that probably do the same in 2nd cat too, but doubt there are loads. And with the crit points being cut down, that should help that issue.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

racingcondor
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 17:20 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby racingcondor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 13:09 pm

One of the things mentioned is strong inexperienced riders moving up too quickly.

Surely the best way to fix that is to add a US style 5th Cat. All you need to do then is run them as Go-Races (or 4/5 or 3/4/5 races) and require 5 races completed to move up to a 4th Cat licence (US system is 10 races if I remember correctly).

People have all sorts of reasons for not wanting to move up, changing the threshold doesn't fix the problem, it just moves it. I think the best way to fix the problem is to offer more races for 2nd Cat riders that aren't E/1/2 where they're being hammered by Elite riders from the start (2/3/4 races would make sense, especially run as Reg B or Reg A Circuit).

okgo
Posts: 3707
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 14:13 pm
Contact:

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby okgo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 13:16 pm

Or just turn cat 4 into what you just said, having said that though, the general riding I saw in crits in my one race as a 4th was not THAT much worse than the 3rds, however it has been noticeably better now I ride with more 2nd cat riders. But many people have said it shouldn't be about points when moving from 3rd to 4th, I would agree with that. Potentially I could have done my one crit, got to 3rd cat then entered a road race in the spring with a load of elite riders and because I had not got a clue about what I was doing I could have caused a pile up (or anyone could, hypothetical obviously) as I'd only had 40 mins bunch riding experience to my name!
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

racingcondor
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 17:20 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby racingcondor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 17:44 pm

You should see some of the cases of testosterone poisoning at Hillingdon then. I've raced a lot of 3/4 crits and I think there is a difference, less in fitness and more in focus perhaps (that said the only punch up I've seen was during the sprint in an E/1/2 race!).

The reason I'd add a new category is that around London every weekend race is sold out as it is. Squeezing more people into 3rd Cat would limit your opportunities to mix up the categories a little while the option of running 2/3 races means at least you have a filter that suggests everyone has met the minimum fitness requirement not to be dropped 5 minutes in (i.e. at least be able to make the 2nd Cat's work for the points).

DavidJB
Posts: 1721
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 07:38 am

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby DavidJB » Fri Nov 02, 2012 18:53 pm

racingcondor wrote:You should see some of the cases of testosterone poisoning at Hillingdon then. I've raced a lot of 3/4 crits and I think there is a difference, less in fitness and more in focus perhaps (that said the only punch up I've seen was during the sprint in an E/1/2 race!).

The reason I'd add a new category is that around London every weekend race is sold out as it is. Squeezing more people into 3rd Cat would limit your opportunities to mix up the categories a little while the option of running 2/3 races means at least you have a filter that suggests everyone has met the minimum fitness requirement not to be dropped 5 minutes in (i.e. at least be able to make the 2nd Cat's work for the points).


Yeah but what about the rest of the country. Not everyone lives in London. People shouldn't be punished for not living in London just due to over subscription....although this is something I should imagine is going to be a massive problem next year in the lower cats!!

oldhairylegs
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 20:45 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby oldhairylegs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 21:12 pm

Seems to me that they are fiddling with something that isn't really broken.

It would be much better to spend time and effort on getting riders to go through some sort of race training programme before giving out race licences. This might help to address the real issue of guys racing who are a danger to themselves and everyone else around them through a lack of understanding of how to race safely in a bunch.

mamba80
Posts: 2402
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 13:06 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby mamba80 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 09:04 am

oldhairylegs wrote:Seems to me that they are fiddling with something that isn't really broken.

It would be much better to spend time and effort on getting riders to go through some sort of race training programme before giving out race licences. This might help to address the real issue of guys racing who are a danger to themselves and everyone else around them through a lack of understanding of how to race safely in a bunch.


+1 on this.
Also, it is not BC that put on races, it is clubs and volunteers, so statements like "BC should put on more 4th cat races" show a complete misunderstanding of how races are organised, put them on your selves if that is what you want.

racingcondor
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 17:20 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby racingcondor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:22 pm

DavidJB wrote:
racingcondor wrote:The reason I'd add a new category is that around London every weekend race is sold out as it is.


Yeah but what about the rest of the country. Not everyone lives in London. People shouldn't be punished for not living in London just due to over subscription....although this is something I should imagine is going to be a massive problem next year in the lower cats!!


I'm not sure that just adding a '5 races and you're in' rule would punish people outside London all that much. Yes, it might take longer to get the races under your belt but the idea is to ensure that everyone has a minimum amount of pack time before they race in bigger groups and with higher Cat's (i.e. people who can put them way beyond their comfort zone where their riding goes to pot).

I'm also all for 'training' races where you have a couple of experienced racers ride with the bunch for 40 minutes (or so) talking people through it and offering advice when someone does something naive. The problem with that of course is that since it's volunteer run and you're asking experienced racers to give up a weekend of racing to teach for free (although that could probably be remedied with free league membership or something).

Tom Butcher
Posts: 7046
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 22:07 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby Tom Butcher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Although in most areas 4th cats mostly race 3/4s or 2/3/4s anyway - so it doesn't really achieve anything unless they are also going to insist you can't ride with 3rd cats as a 4th cat - which would be a huge change and unless the race scene changes drastically would punish people outside of London. So at face value it is a very London centric proposal.
------------------------

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

racingcondor
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 17:20 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby racingcondor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 13:10 pm

Fair enough then really, it sounds like a more locally appropriate solution is needed.

Worth asking, do the smaller race leagues have a problem with dangerous inexperienced riders? If not then I'm looking for possible solutions to non-problems anyway.

Assuming it is a more London centric issue the answer could just be to run the first two of each London Crit series with a couple of nominated riders (of appropriate experience and different coloured race numbers or some other identifier) as guides who spend the first 40 mins talking people through it. Obviously it means looking for more volunteers but pretty much any solution is going to add work for someone.

It does seem a little odd how currently anyone can turn up to a road race but to ride track you're looking at weeks of induction sessions.

Tom Dean
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 08:08 am

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby Tom Dean » Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:07 pm

I don't think it's a problem everywhere in London! I did nearly every 3/4 at Hog Hill this year and only saw a couple of minor incidents, no reason to think those were down to inexperience either.

Personally I think they should cobble the straight at Hillingdon to break the races up a bit.

User avatar
ju5t1n
Posts: 1936
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 09:45 am
Contact:

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby ju5t1n » Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:30 pm

Tom Dean wrote:Personally I think they should cobble the straight at Hillingdon to break the races up a bit.


Good idea. Or snipers with paintball guns

fish156
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 18:10 pm

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby fish156 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:38 pm

ju5t1n wrote:
Tom Dean wrote:Personally I think they should cobble the straight at Hillingdon to break the races up a bit.


Good idea. Or snipers with paintball guns

The locals don't mess about with paintballs. One group even sent their dog across the track as the bunch came through. Think the dog came through unscathed. Can't say the same for the riders.

DavidJB
Posts: 1721
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 07:38 am

Re: 100 points for 2nd cat ?

Postby DavidJB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 am

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere but this forum. Can we have a link to the source?


Return to “Amateur Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest