Tactic for Hillingdon 4th Cat

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
proto

Re: Tactic for Hillingdon 4th Cat

Postby proto » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:40 pm

I heard from a clubmate that there was a faller. Someone managed to ride off the track at the bottom of the slope, just after the club house, and cartwheeled into the hedge/fence, or something like that. A solo effort by all accounts. I didn't see it myself as I spent all but one lap sitting near the front, trying to keep out of trouble. Don't ask about the other lap when I wasn't sitting near the front though. :(

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:49 pm

proto wrote:I heard from a clubmate that there was a faller. Someone managed to ride off the track at the bottom of the slope, just after the club house, and cartwheeled into the hedge/fence, or something like that. A solo effort by all accounts. I didn't see it myself as I spent all but one lap sitting near the front, trying to keep out of trouble. Don't ask about the other lap when I wasn't sitting near the front though. :(

Yes there was a faller. He rides for our club. This is what he said about the incident:

"I got knocked orf on the last lap when someone decided to try to sneak up my inside and then steer straight into me. Luckily I ditched on the grass, so only bruises and a swollen elbow to show for it. "

What were you wearing/riding on Saturday then?

proto

Postby proto » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:36 pm

I am the really, really old bloke who was riding a nude carbon Ridley, wearing blue/white/yellow High Wycombe kit.

maryka

Postby maryka » Mon Dec 03, 2012 21:02 pm

What's with the twits riding with their arms draped over the bars?

4th cat race

3rd cat race

Earth to idiot riders, you are not and never will be Cancellara. Learn to get aero in the drops or go take up TTing.

proto

Postby proto » Mon Dec 03, 2012 21:07 pm

Looks like that is near the judges hut/finish line. Easy to stop, instant disqualification.

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Mon Dec 03, 2012 21:14 pm

maryka wrote:Earth to idiot riders, you are not and never will be Cancellara.

+1

Dess1e

Postby Dess1e » Mon Dec 03, 2012 21:19 pm

proto wrote:Looks like that is near the judges hut/finish line. Easy to stop, instant disqualification.

Would have been if I'd have seem them, unfortunately I didn't. Bear in mind that I'm normally standing a couple of metres the other side of the line, looking down the bunch.

Setarkos

Postby Setarkos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 22:00 pm

DIdn't realise the field got that destroyed on the last hundred meters...
Adding to the topic of handle-bar positions; why didn't they sprint in their drops???

okgo

Postby okgo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 22:08 pm

He looks lower and more aero than you and you are in the drops!
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Setarkos

Postby Setarkos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 22:27 pm

But I won ;)

Serious response: In the sprint it's not that much about aerodynamics but about technique and you can simply sprint better if you're in the drops. In fact having the same upper body position, drops is generally less aero than ergos but you'll never see a sprinter grabbing at the ergos in a sprint.

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Mon Dec 03, 2012 22:40 pm

okgo wrote:He looks lower and more aero than you and you are in the drops!

His body position would be the same but he wouldn't have his arms sticking out like teapot handles catching even more air though if he was in the drops. You should be comparing how aero he could be, rather than how aero someone else is.

Also when in the drops you can rotate forward more changing the hip angles and often allowing for more power production.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

Dess1e

Postby Dess1e » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:33 am

It's also bad aesthetically.

If only we could fine riders for sprinting on the hoods :wink:

Setarkos

Postby Setarkos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:39 am

You could if you made a rule about it ;)

(Not saying, you should)

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:43 am

I've seen that widely referred to as "invisible aero bars" and I really don't see how it's a problem if you're on the front. Obviously, don't do it in the bunch as you're miles from the brakes but it IS faster than the drops - you can get much narrower if you tuck your elbows in.

okgo

Postby okgo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:51 am

Fair point Jim, I've never managed more watts in the drops than on the hoods, but probably other reasons for that.

Re invisible aero bars, I've been guilty of it before, but its just not safe, especially on a circuit like hillingdon where its all happening, and most of the people riding have zero bike handling skills!
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Dess1e

Postby Dess1e » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:54 am

MajorMantra wrote:I've seen that widely referred to as "invisible aero bars" and I really don't see how it's a problem if you're on the front. Obviously, don't do it in the bunch as you're miles from the brakes but it IS faster than the drops - you can get much narrower if you tuck your elbows in.

The riders in the photos are only a few yards off the front, if for any reason (fatigue, wind, bag blown on the course etc.) they need greater control and can't, the riders behind have nowhere to go. Similarly first aiders would prefer not to treat any riders, if if they come off on their own.

Dess1e

Postby Dess1e » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:56 am

In fact the rider from the 4th cat race is compounding his indiscretion by having his head down as well.

Jimmy Gears

Postby Jimmy Gears » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:05 pm

A write up on Velo UK said my work was over for the day after winning the Prime, and then they have listed me as 55th place. Ouch. I've emailed the organisers, and I know it's only measly 6 points, but hope they rectify it cos I busted a bollock on the front.

Setarkos

Postby Setarkos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Jimmy Gears wrote:A write up on Velo UK said my work was over for the day after winning the Prime, and then they have listed me as 55th place. Ouch. I've emailed the organisers, and I know it's only measly 6 points, but hope they rectify it cos I busted a bollock on the front.

Weird but the pictures clearly show you in 4th before the finish, so I don't think it'll be a problem to get it straight.

displacedaussie

Postby displacedaussie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Setarkos wrote:DIdn't realise the field got that destroyed on the last hundred meters...
Adding to the topic of handle-bar positions; why didn't they sprint in their drops???

So when are you guys going to start actually sprinting? ;)

Return to “Amateur Race”