Won my first proper race !!

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
Conorstreete
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 17:43 pm

Won my first proper race !!

Postby Conorstreete » Thu Jun 27, 2013 21:03 pm

So today we had one of the last stages of our club league..I was already in the leaders jersey but was afraid i was going to lose it as there were some strong adults up for it..I am only gone 15 by the way!!!So we started off with about 20 adults with a handy cap of a few miuntes from the Stronger group...We managed to pull 3 other lads out of the group and made a strong burst up the road..We worled well together and as we came to the last few kilometer of the race i made an attack at the top of a hill..It didbt work but then I made another late sprint for the line from a few 100 meters out..I was in full motion and took the win with a few bike lenghts to spare!!So happy!! We had managed to keep about 1min from the stronger bunch.. Just thought of sharing this with you and hope you enjoyed reading it :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/63261546

MarksMintness
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 17:00 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby MarksMintness » Thu Jun 27, 2013 21:16 pm

Well done mate, sounds like a good race!
Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!

Rigga
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 23:14 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby Rigga » Thu Jun 27, 2013 21:18 pm

Good work fella!

User avatar
Buckles
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 14:27 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby Buckles » Thu Jun 27, 2013 21:29 pm

I won a race once. I then woke up. Before doing an actual race. Which I lost.

kendobarron
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 22:29 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby kendobarron » Tue Jul 02, 2013 08:25 am

Well done. Must be a great feeling. Keep the wins coming.

User avatar
sub55
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 17:11 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby sub55 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 20:53 pm

Conorstreete wrote:So today we had one of the last stages of our club league..I was already in the leaders jersey but was afraid i was going to lose it as there were some strong adults up for it..I am only gone 15 by the way!!!So we started off with about 20 adults with a handy cap of a few miuntes from the Stronger group...We managed to pull 3 other lads out of the group and made a strong burst up the road..We worled well together and as we came to the last few kilometer of the race i made an attack at the top of a hill..It didbt work but then I made another late sprint for the line from a few 100 meters out..I was in full motion and took the win with a few bike lenghts to spare!!So happy!! We had managed to keep about 1min from the stronger bunch.. Just thought of sharing this with you and hope you enjoyed reading it :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/63261546


"our club league"
"proper race"
:?:
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly

vs
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 13:05 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby vs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 08:38 am

sub55 wrote:
"our club league"
"proper race"
:?:


:shock: do you feel better now?

ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Thu Jul 04, 2013 09:25 am

Well done and good luck to you!

And make sure you ignore the miserable sods who can't just keep quiet if they have nothing useful to contribute.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Toks
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby Toks » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:26 am

Well done young man :D 8) When you feel ready you'll have to get out there and challenge yourself in a non club event

vs
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 13:05 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby vs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 15:05 pm

ChrisAOnABike wrote:Well done and good luck to you!

And make sure you ignore the miserable sod who can't just keep quiet if he has nothing useful to contribute.


FTFY :wink:

ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:24 am

vs wrote:
ChrisAOnABike wrote:Well done and good luck to you!

And make sure you ignore the miserable sod who can't just keep quiet if he has nothing useful to contribute.


FTFY :wink:

Cheers :)
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Imposter
Posts: 5202
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:17 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby Imposter » Fri Jul 05, 2013 14:48 pm

To be fair to Sub55, he was making a valid point. Not everyone is obliged to reply with warm congratulations, incidentally.

acidstrato
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 18:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby acidstrato » Fri Jul 05, 2013 18:27 pm

best to not reply at all then. fool.

Well done kiddo
Crafted in Italy apparantly

Imposter
Posts: 5202
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:17 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby Imposter » Fri Jul 05, 2013 18:30 pm

acidstrato wrote:best to not reply at all then. fool.

Well done kiddo


And there we have it - - the voice of reason. Awesome, or something..

ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Fri Jul 05, 2013 19:06 pm

Imposter wrote:To be fair to Sub55, he was making a valid point. Not everyone is obliged to reply with warm congratulations, incidentally.

No he wasn't. He wasn't just not congratulating, he was completely trivialising the OP's event and clearly implied that a club league race wasn't a 'proper race'.

IMO, it was a pointless, churlish, and patronising non-contribution.

The lad's 15, FFS, and whatever the event was, it was clearly long enough with enough participants for it to require plenty in the way of effort and tactics.

That's a proper race in my book - and I bet the feeling of satisfaction and triumph was plenty real. I wish the OP the best of luck and all success in the future. I hope he isn't put off participating here by the gratuitous arseyness of a tiny minority.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Imposter
Posts: 5202
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:17 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby Imposter » Fri Jul 05, 2013 19:59 pm

ChrisAOnABike wrote: No he wasn't.


er, yes he was. Anyway, it's not worth getting excited about, so calm yourself. The lad's obviously done well, but I suspect Sub's definition of a proper race may be a bit different.

Imposter
Posts: 5202
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:17 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby Imposter » Sat Jul 06, 2013 21:53 pm

madasahattersley wrote:Well he must be a pretty big deal then.


That's the trouble with the internet - you never really know who you're talking to.

madasahattersley wrote:Go ahead and post all of your best results in 'proper races' so we can all mock your achievements.


If you're asking me - I never claimed I had any (but that's not the same as saying I don't have any). It doesn't make my opinion on what constitutes a 'proper' race any less valid. Like I said though, the lad did well, but I'm just standing up for freedom of expression....which is a phrase that leaves me open to a wide range of smartarse replies... ;)

CYCLESPORT1
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 05:51 am

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby CYCLESPORT1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 21:57 pm

Yes, well done. :D
I remember when my son won his first few races :D
Keep training and take no notice of tossers

User avatar
sub55
Posts: 1007
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 17:11 pm

Re: Won my first proper race !!

Postby sub55 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 14:35 pm

madasahattersley wrote:Well he must be a pretty big deal then.

Go ahead and post all of your best results in 'proper races' so we can all mock your achievements.


If you are refering to me ? No ive never won the junior 25 mile champs, like yourself . Congrats on that . awesome ride.
I do however have 2 ctt championship winners medals of my own, as a senior, also competed on the road as a first cat .
Well you asked , i dont normally go around telling the world, as no matter how good you become ,theres always somebody else just that little bit better.
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly


Return to “Amateur Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest