Drink Bottles that don't LEAK ????

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
timb64

Postby timb64 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Halfrauds own brand-£2.99-currently BOGOF!!

Nuggs

Postby Nuggs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 18:49 pm

Camelback +7

If you want to get really OCD about it, you could try taping the thread with PTFE tape...

Gav2000

Postby Gav2000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 09:55 am

Nuggs wrote:Camelback +7

If you want to get really OCD about it, you could try taping the thread with PTFE tape...

My OCD response is; The bottles I got are black, can I get black PTFE tape? :lol:

More seriously though, the Podium bottles do leak via the thread on the bottle I put on my sloping downtube. The drinking valve at the top is great but until about a 1/3 of the drink is gone it still leaks via the thread. This isn't very good, I may have to write to Camelbak as the thread/top design is no better than anyone elses.

Gav.
Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
You'll hear about him ever'where you go.

Finbar Saunders

Postby Finbar Saunders » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:11 am

Specialized Big Mouth work perfectly for me and only leak if I don't close the top tightly. When properly closed they don't even leak knocking around in my bag. I haven't tried Camelbak Podiums and was going to after all the recommendations on here, but at about twice the price of a Big Mouth it would take a great sale to make me switch.

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:42 am

Gav2000 wrote:
Nuggs wrote:Camelback +7

My OCD response is; The bottles I got are black, can I get black PTFE tape? :lol:

More seriously though, the Podium bottles do leak via the thread on the bottle I put on my sloping downtube. The drinking valve at the top is great but until about a 1/3 of the drink is gone it still leaks via the thread. This isn't very good, I may have to write to Camelbak as the thread/top design is no better than anyone elses.

Gav.

Never happened to mine that - and I fill it to the very top!

silvermetalfox

Postby silvermetalfox » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:30 am

I'm here at work reading this whilst shaking my Podium above the laptop. It's never leaked on me yet.. and nope, not leaking now!! (Would have been a good one to explain to IT if it had leaked).

Must admit to be surprised yours is leaking from the thread. I just do mine up good and tight and not ever been a trace of a leak from there. Try the PTFE tape, not sure it comes in black though as most plumbing plastic fittings are white. Try Screwfix perhaps.

Gav2000

Postby Gav2000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 14:31 pm

silvermetalfox wrote:I'm here at work reading this whilst shaking my Podium above the laptop. It's never leaked on me yet.. and nope, not leaking now!! (Would have been a good one to explain to IT if it had leaked).

Must admit to be surprised yours is leaking from the thread. I just do mine up good and tight and not ever been a trace of a leak from there. Try the PTFE tape, not sure it comes in black though as most plumbing plastic fittings are white. Try Screwfix perhaps.

If I need to think about PTFE tape (whatever colour) I may as well stick to cheaper bottles. Maybe I have some duff ones as everyone else seems very happy.

I do have to admit that the valve at the top is a good idea though.
Gav2000

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Jun 29, 2009 14:47 pm

Gav2000 wrote:
silvermetalfox wrote:I'm here at work reading this whilst shaking my Podium above the laptop. It's never leaked on me yet.. and nope, not leaking now!! (Would have been a good one to explain to IT if it had leaked).

If I need to think about PTFE tape (whatever colour) I may as well stick to cheaper bottles. Maybe I have some duff ones as everyone else seems very happy.

I do have to admit that the valve at the top is a good idea though.
When my g/f fills our podium bottles she does them up rather feebly and they will drip a little bit from the threads. To me, they feel loose, I just tighten them properly and no leaks. If a bit of heft doesn't stop it I would suggest yours are faulty.

Dodger747

Postby Dodger747 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 14:50 pm

I quite like the look of the Camelback bottles but I like to throw water over my head/legs/jersey every so often [for that pro look 8) ] does the valve stop water from coming out completely or can you 'open' it?

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Jun 29, 2009 14:56 pm

A good squeeze will shoot water over you like any bottle. The valve has a lock on it for carrying the bottle in a bag, for example, but unlocked the valve won't leak at all, but lets the liquid out when squeezing the bottle.

Gav2000

Postby Gav2000 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 am

alfablue wrote:When my g/f fills our podium bottles she does them up rather feebly and they will drip a little bit from the threads. To me, they feel loose, I just tighten them properly and no leaks. If a bit of heft doesn't stop it I would suggest yours are faulty.

I tested them again last night and no amount of tightening could stop the leak, they went back to Wiggle this morning.

I'm going back to £2.50 bottles for a while, I'm sure there'll be a Camelbak Podium2 out sometime and maybe I'll try those.

Gav.
Gav2000

Nuggs

Postby Nuggs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:20 pm

alfablue wrote:When my g/f fills our podium bottles she does them up rather feebly and they will drip a little bit from the threads. To me, they feel loose, I just tighten them properly and no leaks. If a bit of heft doesn't stop it I would suggest yours are faulty.

Or that you have the strength of a girl...

Gav2000

Postby Gav2000 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 13:35 pm

Nuggs wrote:

Or that you have the strength of a girl...

:oops: possibly BUT I eat Yorkie's and they definely aren't for girls!!!
Gav2000

Return to “Road Buying Advice”