Need help choosing a new bike - we can help?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
ls119

Re: Need help choosing a new bike - we can help?

Postby ls119 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm fairly new to the world of cycling, but really want to get into it and at some point in the distance future I would like to try long distance touring. However I would like to find a good beginner road bike to get me started and prepared before purchasing a more specialized tourer.

I don't really have a budget anything between £200.00 - £500.00 I suppose as you can get quiet alot for your money with road bikes, however with tourers you can spend well over £1000.00 for just a basic model. I would ideally prefer a new bike rather than second hand, but am open to anything as Ebay have alot to offer.
Also I was wondering can you use road bikes on cycle paths (loose gravel like surfaces) as there are alot around where I am and was wondering if I would have the option to use these aswel as the road.

Any advise on my next purchase would be appreciated, for a good beginner road bike.

:D

aronh

Postby aronh » Sat May 19, 2012 10:07 am

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.... having tried quite a few bikes in my budget range of £900 I have decided to go for the BMC SR01 Tiagra Compact . It felt comfortable, was fairly nippy and I liked its looks.

http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/bikes/ ... iagra.html

However, I have just noticed that the Boardman Road Team bike has been reduced to £800 (100 less than the Sr01) and has a much better spec (105 and FSA Gossamer BB30 compact crank , Mavic wheels).

Is it just the case that I am paying more for the BMC because its a boutique brand and won the TdF last year whereas the BM is sold my Halfords? Is the BM a better bike?

THanks for any advice...

Aaron

ByersVictory

Postby ByersVictory » Sun May 20, 2012 17:57 pm

Im looking for a decent road bike at a budget !
Ive seen this at Winstanley is it any good ?
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2010

i do about 60 miles per week, and live in Saddleworth regularly riding some hills in and around the area.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated, I can maintain my bike but iknow next to nowt about buying one ! By that I mean whats a good buy with good components.

Thanks in advance.

ps Although I want a bike I dont have much cash to buy one, budget £800 and im pushing it really.

kendo11

Postby kendo11 » Sun May 20, 2012 23:04 pm

Knock 10% of Road Team price using NUSMAY12 promotion voucher.

sbovey

Postby sbovey » Thu May 24, 2012 20:58 pm

Hi All

I've spent a huge amount of time during the past few weeks scouring the internet looking at budget road bikes / reviews etc and have learnt loads!!!!

However I still haven't decided on the bike to buy so after some opinions / advice. I currently have a Giant Cypress LX hybrid at 15.4kg I use for my daily 10mile hilly commute.

Decided I want to replace with a entry level road bike and maybe take it for the odd longer spin / charity ride and see if I get in to it. Down to business any thoughts on these or others? budget was originally £350 but crept up to £4-450.

Claud Butler Echelon or Milano (£410 ish)
Raleigh Airlite 300 2011 (£450 on wiggle)
GT GTR 5 2011 (£500 at LBS)
Giant Defy 2 (2011 at £499 on winstanley)
Giant Defy 3 (£475)

Unfortunately can't stretch to a Specialzed or Trek and didnt really want to spend £500.

Thanks for anyones thoughts on this and sorry if a bit of a wide option question!

Scott.

gkd000

Re: Need help choosing a new bike - Python RX1?

Postby gkd000 » Fri May 25, 2012 13:58 pm

Hi,

I want to buy a decent entry level road bike, I don't want to spend more than £600 at present. I have been looking around on the forums etc and have a few ideas, but I came across a Python RX1 for a decent price and it looks like it might suit me.

I suppose my real question is, I can't find too much info. on this model and no reviews at all?

Does anyone have any experience of or advice about this particular make/model?

Would appreciate a quickish response if possible as the deal may end soon. They seem to be listed at about £700 everywhere I look, but can get one for £430.

Appreciate your help.

Graham.

sashwell

Postby sashwell » Mon May 28, 2012 08:24 am

I was in bike finder in a recent issue.

My requirements were a bike for sportives and the RAID for £1k, with an MTB history.

Giant Defy 1 was recommended and i'm fairly sure this is what i'll go for.

But then i read a review of the Boardman Team Carbon - do you think it's worth stretching my budget to go Carbon?

Other alternative at LBS is Mekk Poggio P20.

webbie1

Postby webbie1 » Thu May 31, 2012 14:20 pm

Looking at buying a road bike for the first time in numerous years and things have changed a lot since I last owned one. Looking at circa 1k to spend. Have looked at some of the reviews but they all get a bit confusing after a while with differeing opinions. Ribble seems to come up quite well in the reviews but as its buying on line its difficult to "try before you buy". Any thoughts/advice would be appreicated.
Thanks

jch

Postby jch » Mon Jun 04, 2012 09:48 am

Currently riding a trek7200fx (c.2005) hybrid for a 20-30 mile ride each w/e. Pleased to be getting fitter averaging 15mph on the flat, but enjoy a few short sharp hills where I live so occasionally need very lowest gear (calculated at 20inch).

The hybrid felt right in the shop but once home it felt very sit-up-and-beg so I adjusted the bars downwards.

I am concerned that I need a triple as a compact won't give me the lowest gear I need.

My research leads me to:-
Defy5 is available with triple at around 550 - not sure I liked the cross section of a defy frame I saw somehwere
Spec allez or sectuer feel beyond my budget - I wouldn't expect a lowlevel pianist to buy a 10k piano, but I'm 51 and this may be the last bike I buy
trek 1.1 seems only available with a compact - I've found my current trek gear change fantastic so am a bit loyal to trek
airlite 100 has also been suggested but also only a compact

dortmunder

Postby dortmunder » Mon Jun 11, 2012 20:17 pm

I am looking to upgrade to a new bike. I have a budget of about £2000. I have been cycling on and off for years but this is the first time I've done some proper training. I am going to ride some Sportives this year and perhaps and Alpine ride next summer.
I currently have my eye on the kuota kharma race which I would upgrade to SRAM Force group and maybe upgrade the wheels from the Mavic Aksium. I currently ride a Focus Variado.
Does anyone have experience (good or bad) of the Kharma and are there any others I should consider. I was looking at the Moda stretto but it didn't fair too well in Cycling Plus this month.
Thanks in advance

Chopper Read

Postby Chopper Read » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:06 am

Looking at buying a new road bike. Can't decide between a Cube peloton Race and a Boardman Road Team.

Any advice please?

Herr-B

Postby Herr-B » Wed Jun 13, 2012 15:30 pm

sbovey wrote:Down to business any thoughts on these or others? budget was originally £350 but crept up to £4-450.

Hi, if it was me I'd plump for the Defy 2. But my budget of £350-400 moved to £500. Then I looked at bikes in the £600-700 bracket. ~£900 later I have my bike. :shock:

Baumer14

Postby Baumer14 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 22:40 pm

I am brand new to biking and I was offered two bikes to purchase, both brand new... a 2010 Scott Speedster S40 and a 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0. The S40 is bring offered to me for $680 and the Newest 1.0 is being offered for $800; both are brand new from quality dealers.

I hear that the Fuji is a better bike, but I am looking for some un-biased help on this. Which one should I get?

s1mon

Postby s1mon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 20:36 pm

Hi,

I can't decide between a Focus Izalco Ergoride 4.0 (2012) or a BMC Roadracer SL01 Ultegra (2012)

The BMC is slightly over my budget (£2000) but could stretch it or they do a Tiagra version and save some £'s. the Focus seems more sportive style and the BMC seems more racier ? I'm not going to do either, it's just for fitness and getting out riding when the weathers nice.

I've had a bikefit and both are are very close to what I should be looking for. I've sat on both bikes and ridden the BMC, but to be honest I don't know what or how it should feel. Coming from more mtb'ing background all road bikes feel stiff and a hard ride :?

Thanks.

slowhand44

Postby slowhand44 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi,

After an argument with a taxi that I lost, I am in need of a new winter bike. Been looking at the Tifosi CK7 Veloce build, and of course the Ribble. Any recoomendations or opinios on these or alternatives. My budget is £900.

Thanks.
"There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic banking. It's called marriage."
James Holt McGavran

Jakeus1995

Postby Jakeus1995 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 21:46 pm

Hi there, i looking for a good road racing bike, my budget is £1000 does anyone have any suggestions or would anyone offer me a bike for that amount.

Bullbag85

Postby Bullbag85 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:44 am

hi all, i am currently looking into getting my first road bike :D . i have a few choices from my lbs,
giant defy 3,4 or 5 2012
orbea aqua t23 2012
specialized allez sport 2013.
im looking at doing a charity bike ride next year so i really want something that will be pretty reliable. if anyone has any experience with any of these, any info would be greatly appreciated.
cheers all

dortmunder

Postby dortmunder » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:31 am

Hi Bullbag85 The Orbea aqua is quite a nice bike. My wife rides one. Certainly in smaller sizes the geometry is good for her. Is your budget around the £650 mark?

Bullbag85

Postby Bullbag85 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 pm

The most I will be able to go to is £725, which is what the Allez sport is priced at. Those are the only bikes in my budget that my lbs have at the moment. I'm going to try them out this weekend and, if all goes to plan, I will be keen road cyclist by Monday!

jch

Postby jch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 20:15 pm

I didn't get any form of reply to my post, so you may not either.

I chose a trek 1.5 because my current trek hybrid has been 100% reliable, I liked a test ride albeit only in a carpark and it had the gearing I wanted.

I suspect at any price point the bikes are pretty similar and the most important thing is what suits you and until you've sat on it and changed a few gears you're guessing. I was concerned at buying something after 10 minutes in a shop and not liking it when I got it home or paying £500 upwards for a £200 quality bike. I don't think the latter is likely and re the former - just research the options for the type of riding you want to do and try things out.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”