Are Ribble Cycles notoriously slow?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Paul E

Re: Are Ribble Cycles notoriously slow?

Postby Paul E » Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:10 pm

It's speedking or thebigbee, or someone is breeding clones of them somewhere grim!
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

Ber Nard

Postby Ber Nard » Tue Sep 18, 2012 17:39 pm

Bustacapp wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:So have you actually complained to Ribble or are you as spineless as your internet persona :?:

It takes spine to complain? What sort of slackjawed world do you live in? And who would I complain to? The automated telephone machine or the automated email machine????

How about you do as your name suggests and shut up!

What would be the nature of your complaint? Which of Ribble's T's&C's have been breached?

Rob

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 08:09 am

Ber Nard wrote:
What would be the nature of your complaint? Which of Ribble's T's&C's have been breached?

Rob

Their delays are frustrating but forgivable, so my nature of complaint would be aimed almost purely at their complete lack of interaction. Whether or not they have contravened their t & c's is irrelevant. If you were to go into a cake shop and order a cake, only for the assistant to throw a lump of dog muck in your face, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find anything about dog muck in their t & c's either.

Also - due to their lack of customer interaction, I have no confidence my complaint will even be read, so will be sending it to the office of fair trading instead.

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Sep 19, 2012 08:38 am

Bustacapp wrote:
Ber Nard wrote:

Rob

Their delays are frustrating but forgivable, so my nature of complaint would be aimed almost purely at their complete lack of interaction. Whether or not they have contravened their t & c's is irrelevant. If you were to go into a cake shop and order a cake, only for the assistant to throw a lump of dog muck in your face, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find anything about dog muck in their t & c's either.

Also - due to their lack of customer interaction, I have no confidence my complaint will even be read, so will be sending it to the office of fair trading instead.

Slow (but not all that slow) order and poor communication is now being compared to assault with dog poo. Do you have any idea just how out of proportion you are being here? OFT? :roll:

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Sep 19, 2012 08:39 am

Hello Bustacapp - I've written a letter for you to save you time.

Dear Office of Fair Trading

I wish to complain about Ribble Cycles complete failure to breach their terms and conditions. Can somebody please DO SOMETHING!

Regards......Bustacapp
Faster than a tent.......

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 09:00 am

bompington wrote:Slow (but not all that slow) order and poor communication is now being compared to assault with dog poo. Do you have any idea just how out of proportion you are being here? OFT? :roll:

I was merely illustrating a point.

Anyhow, I won't really write to the OFT because I can't be bothered. But I certainly won't be shopping at Ribble again!!

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 09:00 am

Rolf F wrote:Hello Bustacapp - I've written a letter for you to save you time.

I wish to complain about Ribble Cycles complete failure to breach their terms and conditions. Can somebody please DO SOMETHING!

Regards......Bustacapp

Crap post.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 am

My experience with Ribble:

I tried to buy a bike from them (I had £1k to spend), but they were not answering the phone for several days. When I did get through the chap was quite rude (wouldn't answer any questions about bike/frame warranty). I decided that a bike purchase would be unwise as any after sales service was likely to be even poorer than their efforts at selling. I am aware that communication with Ribble has been a problem for other people.

I have bought many lower cost items from them because they are cheap, and I am prepared to wait.

Many vendors take the money from your account and then order the item from the suppliers; as far as I understand this is contrary to the legal requirement to take the customers money only when the item is ready to ship.

Some vendors advertise items as in stock when they are not, as far as I understand, this is either bad practice or illegal, suffice to say that the ASA censured D Hinde for this very same practice.

The two practices can obviously go hand-in-hand, and it seems to be a "business model" adopted by the less scrupulous end of the market.

Whether or not the above two practices apply to Ribble I do not know, but if the cap fits . . .

I completely accept that a lower price may mean poorer service, and therefore one should consider the real value that one will get in this respect (i.e. paying more can sometimes be a better option if service is important), but when vendors actually flout accepted standards of practice or even the law, they need to be called to account.

The OP has grounds for complaint if the above applies in this case, and those that suggest that his complaints are wrong are perhaps being a little unfair, notwithstanding, some of this thread seems to have become a little overblown.

Sorry to resort to avoiding insult and invective :wink:

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:25 am

alfablue wrote:Sorry to resort to avoiding insult and invective :wink:

Oh dear, you're clearly not joining in the spirit of this thread...

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 am

alfablue wrote:My experience with Ribble:

I tried to buy a bike from them (I had £1k to spend), but they were not answering the phone for several days. When I did get through the chap was quite rude (wouldn't answer any questions about bike/frame warranty). I decided that a bike purchase would be unwise as any after sales service was likely to be even poorer than their efforts at selling. I am aware that communication with Ribble has been a problem for other people.

I have bought many lower cost items from them because they are cheap, and I am prepared to wait.

Many vendors take the money from your account and then order the item from the suppliers; as far as I understand this is contrary to the legal requirement to take the customers money only when the item is ready to ship.

Some vendors advertise items as in stock when they are not, as far as I understand, this is either bad practice or illegal, suffice to say that the ASA censured D Hinde for this very same practice.

The two practices can obviously go hand-in-hand, and it seems to be a "business model" adopted by the less scrupulous end of the market.

Whether or not the above two practices apply to Ribble I do not know, but if the cap fits . . .

I completely accept that a lower price may mean poorer service, and therefore one should consider the real value that one will get in this respect (i.e. paying more can sometimes be a better option if service is important), but when vendors actually flout accepted standards of practice or even the law, they need to be called to account.

The OP has grounds for complaint if the above applies in this case, and those that suggest that his complaints are wrong are perhaps being a little unfair, notwithstanding, some of this thread seems to have become a little overblown.

Sorry to resort to avoiding insult and invective :wink:

At last the voice of reason!!

I knew I wasn't going mad.

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:50 am

Bustacapp wrote:At last someone who's something like me, even though he isn't being such a drama queen about it

FTFY

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:55 am

Bustacapp wrote:
Rolf F wrote:Hello Bustacapp - I've written a letter for you to save you time.

Regards......Bustacapp

Crap post.

Wooshhhh!

Never mind. You might be right. After all, who would know more about crap posts than you :wink:

rozzer32

Postby rozzer32 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:40 am

Bustacapp can't be bothered complaining because he is too busy trying to change his tyre :lol:
**** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2011 *****

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:58 am

rozzer32 wrote:Bustacapp can't be bothered complaining because he is too busy trying to change his tyre :lol:

Fixed it thanks. Just needed a bit more pressure. I did learn something about seating the tyre near the valve area which may prove invaluable.

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:00 pm

bompington wrote:At last someone who's not a biased mug like Bompington.

FTFY

Navrig

Postby Navrig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:05 pm

alfablue wrote:I completely accept that a lower price may mean poorer service, and therefore one should consider the real value that one will get in this respect (i.e. paying more can sometimes be a better option if service is important), but when vendors actually flout accepted standards of practice or even the law, they need to be called to account.

Generally a good post but I would disagree with the above. Lower price doesn't necessarily mean poorer service, perhaps just a different one:

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Bustacapp wrote:
bompington wrote:At last someone who's not a biased mug like Bompington.

FTFY

rajMAN

Postby rajMAN » Wed Sep 19, 2012 13:21 pm

I bet Ribble are pissing themselves at this tripe of a thread!

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Sep 19, 2012 13:28 pm

alfablue wrote:Many vendors take the money from your account and then order the item from the suppliers; as far as I understand this is contrary to the legal requirement to take the customers money only when the item is ready to ship.

Well, irrc, Bustercapp or is alter ego had the money taken a couple of days ago. Since Ribble clearly state that they don't do this until they are ready to send the item, we should be expecting a post from him which is either a furious rant that Ribble still haven't supplied the item or a reply explaining that he has received it.

jonny1967

Postby jonny1967 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 13:36 pm

To be fair, it is a bit annoying when you assume that you will be picking a new bike up today and can't get confirmation that it is ready, or that it will be delayed. I can accept delays without having a hissy fit, but it irks a little when you can't get an answer by phone or Email

Return to “Road Buying Advice”