which clips? and advice please

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Neale1978

which clips? and advice please

Postby Neale1978 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 am

Hey,

Iam out to get clipped in after riding flats for over 15 years.. I had some spds for a short time back in the day but thats it really

Iam after some road pedal recommendations if possible for those that clip in and out easily and also.. Are the floating type cleats there to give your foot a bit of movement whilst clipped in?

cheers

sungod

Re: which clips? and advice please

Postby sungod » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:20 pm

there's no single best choice, different people have different needs, preferences and opinions on which are best

mine is speedplay zero, i've tried others, but these are what suit me

for me they are easy, but some people have problems clipping in

they have adjustable free float (indepentent adjustment for heel-in and heel-out), there's no spring pressure until the limit is reached, then it goes up fast until release

most other pedals have fixed float or no float, the spring pressure tends to increase gradually until release, the spring tension may be adjustable

depending on who you talk to, any given pedals can range from the bees knees to the unclippable, unmaintainable, fiddly, knee killing, foot twisting tools of the abominable one
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:24 pm

cheers for that

I like the look of the look keos.. they seem quite straight forward

Iam guessing the foot locked in one position is just something you get used to?

northpole

Postby northpole » Sun Oct 07, 2012 16:02 pm

I have look on one bike and shimano on another. My experience is that I continue to find the looks a pain in the butt clipping into and out ;the shimano are much easier in this respect.

The looks are on my weekend bike and invariably are used on longer rides which involves less clipping in and out - I still find them a pain through town but really like them once clipped in! Otherwise, I'd swap them for shimano which, whilst they don't seem to spin with the same freedom demonstrated by the looks, have provided me with years of trouble free service.

One other thing, the shimano cleats are significantly more robust than the looks which require replacement more frequently, even though subjected to less use. The speedplay cleats can be a bit of a pain if you have to stop along the road and walk in loose chippings, etc (nature calls, etc) as the cleats can get clogged with stuff - you can get covers, but when nature calls.....

Peter

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 16:55 pm

Ahh ok..

I did like the look of the shimano 105's or ultegra actually so perhaps i'll go with those instead then as i do a mix of open road rides and stuff in built up areas

I seem to remember that you dont get cleats with the shimano pedals? if so what do you think i should go with?

cheers

exlaser

Postby exlaser » Sun Oct 07, 2012 16:59 pm

if tou want float, try looking at time pedals
Van Nicholas Ventus
Giant OCR 0

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 17:13 pm

shimano sound good to me at the mo.. Is the float just a bit of lateral movement for your foot whilst clipped?

northpole

Postby northpole » Sun Oct 07, 2012 20:42 pm

The shimano cleats come in yellow and red - the yellow ones have more float built in. Basically float is the extent you are able to rotate your foot whilst clipped in, the benefit being that it takes some strain of your knees ie exactly as you have stated in your last post!

Peter

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:20 pm

cheers for that.. i'll perhaps try a set of non float type cleats to start and see how it goes :wink:

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:39 pm

start with float, then non float.

If you have fixed ones and you get it wrong you can hurt your knees. If they float, this is less likely

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:46 pm

If you have to stop and start at junctions a lot get SPDs, SPD-SL / Keo style pedals are harder to get into in my experience. I'd always use SPDs on a commuter bike.

Also worth pointing out that many SPD-SL/road shoes have mesh tops, ideal for a British winter! With SPD shoes you can choose something more suited to our climate.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

greentea

Postby greentea » Mon Oct 08, 2012 07:57 am

Pedals are a bit like seats, they are all different and some which might suit you wont suit others and visa-versa.

I've owned Shimano 105s and Ultegra pedals and didn't find them great for me, i just didnt like the way they clicked in, toe into the hole, then push down. I often found trying to get the cleat into the hole fiddly, especially at an uphill, standing start with cars up your backside. Once clipped in they were fine though not 'exceptional' but did the job.

I now use iClic 2 pedals, much easier to engage for me, they have a front lip which catches the cleat better, so no hole to find and can be clipped in without looking down 99% of the time. Ive found them to be a superb pedal.

Try some out, also be aware that for every person on here that gives you advice there will be 5 others who all think they race for Team Sky and know everything, when the reality is they buy their kit from Halfords half the time. So good luck.

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:24 am

Funny you should mention that as it reminded me of these time rxs 'first time' pedals

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30705

A pedal that would be awkward at starts and on hills would be very frustrating i reckon so maybe these would be a good start.. cheers for the reminder!

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:37 am

I guess its twist outwards with your heel to disengage like other brands?

deero83

Postby deero83 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 18:50 pm

Hello

I am thinking of getting some clipless pedals for my road bike, which at the moment I use for commuting around Birmingham and longer rides at the weekends. I am looking to get into sportives in a few months' time possibly.

I initially looked at SPD-SLs on the net, and then confused myself by looking at the (generic and OEM) Look Keo's or similar.

I then looked on this site and BikeRadar recommends the Time i-Clic 2 pedals, which although pricier than the Shimano's I'd been looking at sound a bit better for a novice.

I've never used clipless pedals before and am slightly daunted by the prospect. I obviously feel I could get used to it though. My main issue is which system's cleats would last the longest and would be best for what cycling I do.

I have standard flat pedals fitted at the moment but also have some Crank Bros. Egg Beaters that came with my bike. Am I best to give those a try or go for a proper "road" system.

PS my bike is a Charge Filter Mid 2011.

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 20:32 pm

A mate has Crank Brothers Egg Beaters and like them. He says they're easier to clip into the SPD-SLs. I'd never use SPD-SLs on a commuter as if you don't clip in first time you're stuck half way across a junction with no power! SPDs or Egg Beaters are safer on a town bike.

Also, you can't walk any distance in SPD-SL shoes. At my office the bike park is a good distance from the bit where I work.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”