Another Garmin question

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Heinsite

Another Garmin question

Postby Heinsite » Sat Oct 13, 2012 07:16 am

Right just call me Mr confused........

I want to get a Garmin 800 but I am completely confused with the mapping options. I ride both road and MTB in southern England but I would like full uk mapping and European mapping for those odd holidays (mostly road) with my bike.

Is there a one size fits all or will I have to buy different maps. If I bought the trail bundle for off road does it include roads, or vic versa. Sorry expect these questions have been answered before but trawled through posts on Garmins and still can't get a clear idea.

wongataa

Re: Another Garmin question

Postby wongataa » Sat Oct 13, 2012 08:21 am

The trail bundle will contain 1:50000 Ordnance Survey maps. These are as the Landranger paper map series. They do have the roads but only cover the UK. For road navigation the City Navigator maps will be easier to use. These are the same as you get in Garmin's car sat navs.

Heinsite

Postby Heinsite » Sat Oct 13, 2012 16:53 pm

Thanks Wongataa. So I take people that ride both road and trail have to buy both maps?

Just Cannondales

Postby Just Cannondales » Sat Oct 13, 2012 16:56 pm

I got the 800 with os mapping.

For Uk roads it is fine but only has main footpaths on it. IMHO waste of time get the full road mapping.

For off road you just map a ride on one of the many websites (biketoaster etc) and just follow the line. Works for me.

starbuck

Postby starbuck » Sat Oct 13, 2012 18:09 pm

have a look at a website called openmtb http://openmtbmap.org/. You can download maps for free and they are updated regularly and can have as much or as little detail as possible. I use them for riding on and off road.

You can download the maps on to your PC first to see what they're like before you decide, but I've always found them really detailed (you can change the level of detail you send to the garmin) and never had a problem (and saved a packet on maps).

Return to “Road Buying Advice”