What bike lock?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Moominman2

What bike lock?

Postby Moominman2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 22:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I plan on riding to university every so often but am not sure how likely a bike theif will be lurking? The bike will be left in the uni grounds, and I doubt any students would nick it? I have a cheap lock I've had for years that I use for work on my 90s raleigh, but could easilly be cut.

Also, I think I can put my bike in a bike shed which requires a student card to gain access and actually be approved to use it.

Should I feel safe enough to use my cheapo lock if using it in the shed?

Thanks
Luke

Monty Dog

Re: What bike lock?

Postby Monty Dog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 22:22 pm

Universities are a hotbed of bike thiefery and attracts every scrote around. Get yourself the biggest, heaviest f***-off lock you can afford if you want to keep your bike.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Moominman2

Postby Moominman2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:28 pm

Oh man that sucks. Even in a bike shed only allowing entry to students who have asked to be set up to use it would be in danger?

It would be a shame not to ride it. It's like a 60mile round trip in the countryside.

Thanks

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:40 pm

abus city chain is the one i use the one with the pad lock...there is a more robust one called city-chain X

depend on your budget as the above are not cheap...i think £80 for the longer variant. I like it cos i can chain my bike to virtually anything without issues. D-locks are hugely annoying and also the metal bars may be strong but the damn locking mechanism are always poo.

if you bike is relatively cheap then get a lock that looks hard to break - a visual deterrent rather than doing the job...then again if your bike is cheap and u get the expensive lock, it is a good portion of your bike's worth. but if you really want to protect your asset then invest in a good lock and keep it for life :)
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

p1tse

Postby p1tse » Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:44 pm

Is the bike insured as don't insurance companies only covet with certain locks

sungod

Postby sungod » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 am

the first post in this thread is kept up to date with what's good in locks...

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

as mentioned above, universities are easy pickings, plenty of bikes, plenty of people around for cover

the shed may have card access, but that doesn't make it secure, it's probably easy to follow someone through the door and once alone have the benefit of no witnesses to lock cutting
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

derosa

Postby derosa » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 am

Monty Dog wrote:Universities are a hotbed of bike thiefery and attracts every scrote around. Get yourself the biggest, heaviest f***-off lock you can afford if you want to keep your bike.

Spot on Monty.
Tooled up local bike thieves invade the campus as soon as students return.

Moominman2

Postby Moominman2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 22:19 pm

Damn. I guess I shant be riding to uni :(

Thanks all
Luke

Return to “Road Buying Advice”