Too Much Wheel Choice!

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Caller

Too Much Wheel Choice!

Postby Caller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 16:56 pm

I'm looking for a set of wheels as an upgrade from some Shimano R500's
So far I've kind of narrowed it down to either some Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's, some Hope Hoops with Open Pro rims or possibly some Fulcrum 5's.

My budget is £350 but the new Ksyrium's stretch that a little.

It's for general riding, no racing and for a decidedly average rider!

Any recommendations?

I really like the look of the Hope's, I've used Hope Hoops on my mountain bikes and never had any problems with them so far!

ugo.santalucia

Re: Too Much Wheel Choice!

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:02 pm

Ksirium for the fast and furious rides, Open Pro for the long distance and reliability of a wheel that can be fixed.
Depends what you are after...
I would get the Ksirium for UK sportives and general local riding, but would rely on the Open PRO for a week long trip in the Pyrenees or to do LEJOG.

If you go for the Hoops give a builder a shout... We can offer similar prices for much better built wheels, including Hope + Open PRO. Some of these Hoops give problems from day one.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:20 pm

Ugo, do you have some sort of siren that goes off when someone types the word wheel into this forum? :wink:

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:23 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:Ugo, do you have some sort of siren that goes off when someone types the word wheel into this forum? :wink:

You got me... And I still owe you a build... :lol:

It amazes me how the same question is asked pretty much every single day...

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:26 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:You got me... And I still owe you a build... :lol:

It amazes me how the same question is asked pretty much every single day...

No worries, I'm sure the people on here are grateful for your help!

And yes, free build, almost forgot about that! :D

antfly

Postby antfly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:42 pm

For three hundred it has to be Shimano RS80s, surely.
Smarter than the average bear.

Caller

Postby Caller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:17 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:If you go for the Hoops give a builder a shout... We can offer similar prices for much better built wheels, including Hope + Open PRO. Some of these Hoops give problems from day one.

I'm quite surprised at that, when I was looking for MTB wheels, prices from builders weren't anywhere close to Hope's prices for the Hoops.
With three sets of them on my MTB's I've never had any issues yet either. Saying that though, you will no doubt see far more wheels than me so you'll have more experience with the good and bad ones.

bisoner

Postby bisoner » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:30 pm

antfly wrote:For three hundred it has to be Shimano RS80s, surely.

Nice wheels but I did lose true on the back fairly quickly. Then I pinged a spoke and it's taken months to get a spare.

For the budget in question, Ugo could build some lovely wheels.

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:36 pm

At the price I'd give Pro-Lite Braccianos a look. Just a shade under 1500g and roll very well, semi-aero profile. I've done a few thousand miles on mine and even the notorious A9 cycle path didn't upset them! I paid 180 but they've gone up a lot since.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:49 pm

Caller wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:If you go for the Hoops give a builder a shout... We can offer similar prices for much better built wheels, including Hope + Open PRO. Some of these Hoops give problems from day one.

I'm quite surprised at that, when I was looking for MTB wheels, prices from builders weren't anywhere close to Hope's prices for the Hoops.
With three sets of them on my MTB's I've never had any issues yet either. Saying that though, you will no doubt see far more wheels than me so you'll have more experience with the good and bad ones.

Open pro on Hope Pro evo 3 you are looking at 350 or just over, depending on spoke choice. You can spend less with Shimano hubs, including Ultegra, which are excellent. ask Harry Rowland as well for a quote, his builds are legendary.
There are several reports of Hope hoops with inconsistent build quality... Some are good, some awful. It makes sense... These builds are outsourced and some jobs are ok, some are not. If you are paid little to do a job and your name is not on the line, the incentive to do the best possible job is less.

antfly

Postby antfly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:23 pm

bisoner wrote:
antfly wrote:For three hundred it has to be Shimano RS80s, surely.

Nice wheels but I did lose true on the back fairly quickly. Then I pinged a spoke and it's taken months to get a spare.

For the budget in question, Ugo could build some lovely wheels.

Surprised about that, you can get the spokes online now, SJS cycles have them.

maddog 2

Postby maddog 2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:27 pm

factory - rs80s or Fulcrum 3s

handbuilt - crikey, world is your oyster - Ambrosio/Velocity rims on Hope/Shimano/Novatec et al
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

elcanyonman

Postby elcanyonman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:11 pm

Ultegra 6700 tubeless. I've put 12000km on mine this year, fantastic.
Fulcrum 5 will not feel like an upgrade from R500's

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:40 pm

I have the older 6600 Ultegra wheels, paid 110 for used set on my #2 bike. Lovely hubs and superb quality wheels. I imagine the 6700s are even better, they're about 100g lighter.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

antfly

Postby antfly » Tue Dec 04, 2012 19:00 pm

I thought the 6600s were ok until I spotted loads of cracks in the rear rim after not much use. I replaced them with the RS80s which are in a different league and don't cost that much more than the 6700s.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 08:56 am

Ditto Ugo's comments re both handbuilt and factory. For the latter, would advice considering Campag Zondas. They were out of stock at Ribble for £268, but can be got for less than £300. Mine have been very solid, plenty light, appear robust, great 'responsiveness' (I know, subjective comment, but there you go).
Yak

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 am

ugo.santalucia wrote:Open pro on Hope Pro evo 3 you are looking at 350 or just over, depending on spoke choice. You can spend less with Shimano hubs, including Ultegra, which are excellent. ask Harry Rowland as well for a quote, his builds are legendary.
There are several reports of Hope hoops with inconsistent build quality... Some are good, some awful. It makes sense... These builds are outsourced and some jobs are ok, some are not. If you are paid little to do a job and your name is not on the line, the incentive to do the best possible job is less.

+1 I'd go for handbuilts, I've used Harry a couple of times and he knows his stuff, he will advise what is most suitable for your needs and £350 will get a nice pair of wheels. My hunch would be 105 hubs, Sapim race spokes and Open pro rims, 28 or 32 spoke. He also does some quite nice 28 spoke CXP33/Novatec hub wheels which are a little more rigid as they have deeper rims.

Ugo also builds wheels I believe...
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 am

Yakk wrote:...great 'responsiveness' (I know, subjective comment, but there you go).

Ahhh the ultimate marketing success - changing people's use of vocabulary!

I wouldn't know where to start if someone asked me to describe what i meant by responsive, in the context of a bike...

I suppose the first thing out of most people's mouths would be something like "it shoots forward when i put the power down" or "it's really stiff". Surely in that case you want something un-responsive - i.e. no deflection. I suppose the only responsive parts on a bike would be the gears and the bearings. Ever heard anyone talking about their "responsive bearings"? [/blahblah]

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 am

EKIMIKE wrote:
Yakk wrote:...great 'responsiveness' (I know, subjective comment, but there you go).

Ahhh the ultimate marketing success - changing people's use of vocabulary!

I wouldn't know where to start if someone asked me to describe what i meant by responsive, in the context of a bike...

I suppose the first thing out of most people's mouths would be something like "it shoots forward when i put the power down" or "it's really stiff". Surely in that case you want something un-responsive - i.e. no deflection. I suppose the only responsive parts on a bike would be the gears and the bearings. Ever heard anyone talking about their "responsive bearings"? [/blahblah]

Responsive as opposed to dead... Very heavy rims, as well as thick bladed spokes feel dead... It is very noticeable. Adjectives are not suited to describe, so we make do with the vocabulary we have at our disposal. Basically if you ride your new wheels and compare them to a set of Aksium, you get the difference between responsive and dead...

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Well, I did say it was my subjective feeling, don't know how else to describe that I'm afraid, as Ugo points out. I know they 'feel' nicer, bouncier, springier' (??) than a set of 32 spoke open pros, of which I have and have had several pairs. I guess how can you describe the difference between a race tyre like a pro3 race and a vittoria rubino (not the pro/folding one)? Well, it's the same kind of difference.
Yak

Return to “Road Buying Advice”