budget build kuota kharma

Show off your bikes here...
imsimon

budget build kuota kharma

Postby imsimon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 am

Hello.
I will be using this post to track my build of a kuota kharma. I've now sourced the majority of the parts and will be slowly putting all together. Nearly everything will be 2nd hand from here or ebay

This was the exciting day when it arrived a few days ago

Yes the garage is a mess. Got a motorbike race on sunday and the bike needed work and everything got thrown around a bit! You can see my current allez in the pic which will becomme a winter/wet weather bike. I shall be using the wheels from that kinnetic k1, s and putting the originals back on allez
This will be a learn as I go project, I've hardly any bike mechanic experience. The most I've done is change my allez from 9sp sora to 10speed 105.

Heres the frame which is a medium.

Since this picture I have removed the bottom bracket which was an fsa I have ordered a new dura ace 7000 bb (one of the only new items that will be used) I have also added the brakes which were ultegra 6600 and a 6700 ultegra rear mech
The only items i need to get are a chain and and cassette.
Last edited by imsimon on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imsimon

Re: budget build kuota kharma

Postby imsimon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Couple more pics.
Front mech anx thd bottom bracket removed

Rear of bike to show mechs and rear brakes

Front brakes

That's where I'm up to I had expected the new bb by now which is annoying but I've got plenty to be doing with my motorbike for the weekend.

Having trouble with the seatpost. Theres a small metal insert between the post and clamp and it just doesnt want to go together

dazz_ni45

Postby dazz_ni45 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 13:42 pm

Looking forward to seeing the finished bike!

pride4ever

Postby pride4ever » Wed Mar 13, 2013 16:21 pm

Carbon frames that overtly show the carbon weave always look dull and dirty to me. Shame cos im sure it will look nice when youve finished. I like Carbon but it needs covering in shiny paint to look good imho.
the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.

imsimon

Postby imsimon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 16:59 pm

pride4ever wrote:Carbon frames that overtly show the carbon weave always look dull and dirty to me. Shame cos im sure it will look nice when youve finished. I like Carbon but it needs covering in shiny paint to look good imho.

More likely my grease covered hands when I'm working on it!! The weave isnt as obvious as in the pics but I'm love with it anyway

imsimon

Postby imsimon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 13:18 pm

The new bottom bracket arrived yesturday dura ace 7900 for 21quid new.

All went well and new b installed along with a dura ace 7800 crankset. 53/39 with 172.5 cranks. I've also stuck the old wheels on just to move it around on

Really must clear my garage

RoyPSB

Postby RoyPSB » Sat Mar 16, 2013 07:50 am

Great project, really love the Kuota. Very interested to see you progress through to completion. I'm a novice at bike mechanics myself but quite fancy doing this as a hobby to pull together something fantastic.

You should see my garage!!!

imsimon

Postby imsimon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks roy. I'm quite confident I could make a lot of money on this bike but I love the kuota so it will stay. Well see how it goes and imay look to do another just for the funof it and sell it on. Got mymotorbike ra e 2morrow. If I dontbrake to much on the bike then progress on this bike will speed up dramaticly. Thnx for your comments

imsimon

Postby imsimon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 14:11 pm

finally had a bit of time today so managed to do a few little bits to move things along although I didnt do as much as I had hoped!

first thing was to clean and stick a load of grease in the headset, had to get a little spacer from lbs as it wouldnt quite tightened and then fit the stem which was £8 from ebay!

next was to take the cassette off of the rear wheel and put it back onto my allez's wheel, I cheated here as I didnt have a chain whip and couldnt manage it with an old piece of chain so got LBS to do it.
chain fitted its an ultegra 6701 £20 in sale from wiggle and new cassette put on 12-28. heres the new shiney cassette on the not so shiney wheel!

fitted handlebars and made a start on the cables but unfortunatly ran out of time.

popped the wheels on and here it is resting up against the allez and others

and my final picture, the bike taking up most of my garage, loaded on the trailer ready for reschedule race on sunday

RideOnTime

Postby RideOnTime » Thu Mar 21, 2013 17:41 pm

nice spec going on there.

RoyPSB

Postby RoyPSB » Thu Mar 21, 2013 20:28 pm

Great pics Simon - keep em coming.

dnwhite88

Postby dnwhite88 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 18:52 pm

Great bike, I bought a kharma evo at the start of feb with ultegra groupset and spinergy wheels and downgraded my Allez sport to commuter and winter ride. The sora drive chain on the Allez is starting to wear and I was thinking about upgrading the groupset (rather than paying to replace sora parts that I'm not really happy with) to 10 spd tiagra or SRAM apex-worth it or buy a different winter bike?

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 19:36 pm

You forgot to put the word 'top' in your title :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

imsimon

Postby imsimon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:25 am

dnwhite88 wrote:Great bike, I bought a kharma evo at the start of feb with ultegra groupset and spinergy wheels and downgraded my Allez sport to commuter and winter ride. The sora drive chain on the Allez is starting to wear and I was thinking about upgrading the groupset (rather than paying to replace sora parts that I'm not really happy with) to 10 spd tiagra or SRAM apex-worth it or buy a different winter bike?

I have a friend that's justgot an evo, looks great
I would definitely stick a few upgrades on the spesh rather than get a new bike. I would get some 2nd hand shifters from here tiagra or 105 10speed. Then sell soras on ebay which is what I did and the price difference was less than 20quid. Do the same with crankset, add a new 10sp chain cassette and cables and you've got yourself a decent hack. It would cost a lot more to get new bike and the allez is a good frame.

Smidsy thanks for your comment.

Here comes the next installmant of the build......

imsimon

Postby imsimon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 am

Some more progress with some frustration this time!!

Firstly heres how we start you've probably worked out for yourselves that I'm a tight bugger so a workstand isnt an option so here instead is the bike on a turbo I got for £20

Next came this. The exit point of internal cable for rear brake had come off before I got it. But left all this glue on the frame

Some people would appear to use chemicals but I didnt want to chance that so I just sanded it down as far as I could and stuck it back using araldite held on to it an then left it tapped to the frame using paper underneath

Next was the cables which was really hard as my cable cutters gave up. I've done front brake and rear casette complete along with rear brake but unfortunatly the cable to crankset got frayed whilst I was faffing and now cant be used. New one has been ordered but would have been nice to of finished the cables off.

imsimon

Postby imsimon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm

The above post was yesturday. I've taken the tape off today to check the exit of brake cable and all seems ok

It really shouldnt be that much more work. Put the gear cable in, bar tape pedals, index the gears (not looking forward to that but got to learn one day!) And what imreally not looking forward to. Getting the seatpost in. It seems the most stupid design and even the lbs agreed and says sometimes It takes a few of them to get it in. I just wish the person I got itfro left it In!! Still its these things that make it seem that much better when (if) its all done

RideOnTime

Postby RideOnTime » Tue Mar 26, 2013 13:18 pm

coming on well.
good work.

JamesEs

Postby JamesEs » Wed Apr 03, 2013 08:42 am

Great build so far, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Roop

Postby Roop » Wed Apr 10, 2013 21:02 pm

Hi imsimon

I am looking to build a bike. where did you manage to source your Kuota frame from.?

Thanks

Roop

metronome

Postby metronome » Thu Apr 11, 2013 05:51 am

Roop wrote:Hi imsimon

I am looking to build a bike. where did you manage to source your Kuota frame from.?

Thanks

Roop

imsimon wrote:Hello.
This was the exciting day when it arrived a few days ago
tick - tick - tick

Return to “Your Road Bikes”